SR71 obsolete soon?
Jul 26, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #61 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
What headphones have you used for comaprison, I always had a soft spot for Ray's HR-2 with the Senn HD-650's and didn't care for it that much with Grados.

RS-1. HP-2, 650, 600, PS-1. I hear what you are saying about the HR2, they sound great with the senns, however my HR2 is a little different as it is an older one, #15, has a warmer more lush sound to it and synergizes well with my rs-1 and hp-2

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #62 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
You have loadsa cool stuff and you don't even have a plug converter? Golden
rs1smile.gif

Heh, *blush*

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #63 of 124
Gpalmer,

Quote:

Heh, try any of the other portable amps that were out at the time and report back your results...

From my experience, the SR-71 is amazing sounding amp in many respect. I used to doubt that the SR-71 can't be that good but after a quick listen to the amp, I've new found respect to the SR-71. The SR-71 sounds much better than both SuperDual and portable META42 w/ AD-8620 op-amps. Still I found my SDS, RKV, and Maxed PPA better but for given its size it is an amazing accomplishment. I really think Ray did an amazing job in optimizing the sound in such a small package. I hope the Hornet will sound just as good.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #64 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
This is exactly what happened when the SR-71 first got introduced.

1) There was a lot of hype of the little SR-71 (black bird) being the sonic equal of the XP-7, HR-2.
2) The SR-71 was declared the ultimate headphone amp, combing power, authority, with portability.
3) People flooded to the SR-71 in droves.

Now the Hornet.

I see exactly the same pattern happening all over again.

1) Hype?
2) Marketing?
3) Hype and marketing induced mass hysteria?

I lean towards 3) as the best overall explanation.

Of course, everything is strictly IMO only.

Thank you for your opinion, and honestly I agree with both of your points. I had sr71 and upgraded to hr2, and yes it was an upgrade and i can easily pick apart the two in a single blind test consistently, i got the hr2 and i never looked back. The sr71 worked as a home amp but i never bought into that hype that it was the sonic equal of the hr2 and it took my own ears to realize that. HR2 offered more refinement, wider stage, deeper, more warmth in the mids that were more palpatable, smoother in the highs, more rounded on the edges of notes making sr71's edges slightly harsh in comparison, transients more natural sounding and not as tipped up as they are in the sr71. A more musically pleasing and natural sounding decay to my ears on the hr2, vs the sr71 where the last 1/16th note trailing edge of decay is slightly clipped. I could go on...

As for 3), of course, consumerism = hype and marketing induced mass hysteria, you won't catch me disagreeing with you on that one. However, actual performance in the field will be the ultimate guage and dictator of whether it lives the hype or not, and whether it can stand on its on merit as a product of performance, and only time will tell on that one.

Again, thank you for your opinion and sharing and I hope you and I converse more in the future, i look forward to it
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #65 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
RS-1. HP-2, 650, 600, PS-1. I hear what you are saying about the HR2, they sound great with the senns, however my HR2 is a little different as it is an older one, #15, has a warmer more lush sound to it and synergizes well with my rs-1 and hp-2

My HR-2 is fairly early also though I can't remember the serial number. I haven't noticed any big differences with it and the others i've heard though. ZHave you heard a Gilmore amp yet since I prefer those with the Grados? I think you're probably right that the Hornet will kill the SR-71, while I haven't listened to the Hornet yet, I'm not sure that's a good thing. (I've avoided the Hornet at meets since I prefer to wait for the shipping model).

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #66 of 124
i think the biggest thing about the Hornet is that it will bring it up to features parity with the other main portables. if it sounds the same as the SR-71, or more or less, it will be pretty nice for the money.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #67 of 124
Quote:

My HR-2 is fairly early also though I can't remember the serial number. I haven't noticed any big differences with it and the others i've heard though. ZHave you heard a Gilmore amp yet since I prefer those with the Grados? I think you're probably right that the Hornet will kill the SR-71, while I haven't listened to the Hornet yet, I'm not sure that's a good thing. (I've avoided the Hornet at meets since I prefer to wait for the shipping model).

I am finishing up the GS-1 Review for 6moons, it should be coming out soon

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #68 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
The SR-71 sounds much better than both SuperDual and portable META42 w/ AD-8620 op-amps.

As I remember the META42 and the Super Mini were the favorite portables when the SR-71 came out and there was a huge difference there...

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #69 of 124
Quote:

Why do you feel the need to play your cards close to your vest? Go ahead man, you shouldn't feel scared to name names or whatever, I don't care, not too many people would care either, and if the people who do care get all emotional and fanboy on you just laugh at them, it's as easy as that.

If someone disagrees with you, cool - we're all civil. In the end, we are all just trying to enjoy some music through gear while conversing and meeting with others that share our interest as well.

because i don't want to get my posts deleted. that has been happening quite a bit in other threads, when people dissent from the popular.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #70 of 124
Quote:

I am finishing up the GS-1 Review for 6moons, it should be coming out soon

Heh, and does that mean you enjoy the Grados more with the Gilmore or HR-2?
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #71 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i think the biggest thing about the Hornet is that it will bring it up to features parity with the other main portables. if it sounds the same as the SR-71, or more or less, it will be pretty nice for the money.

I concur - no its not god's gift to womankind (I am
biggrin.gif
), nor will it kill the major home amps out there. No its not going to replace the raptor, IMHO it takes a little bit more than meet conditions and a A/B box and actual extended listening to come to the realization that the Raptor is a superior amp home wise than the hornet. No its not going to save cats from trees or deliver babies or save hot women from burning houses (I am
biggrin.gif
).

However, at its specific price point and for the features and sound that its been claimed to have, it will be pretty nice for the money, nothing more and nothing less

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #73 of 124
gpalmer,

Yes, the META42 and Superdual sound grainy with slightly brittle high in comparison to the SR-71. I really enjoy the SR-71 and happy that we have many selections in headphone amps.

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #74 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
because i don't want to get my posts deleted. that has been happening quite a bit in other threads, when people dissent from the popular.

I haven't seen any posts get deleted when people have been expressing honest opinions, I have seen posts get deleted when they were just libeling manufacturers...

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #75 of 124
Quote:

I haven't seen any posts get deleted when people have been expressing honest opinions, I have seen posts get deleted when they were just libeling manufacturers...

i still don't trust the general head-fi climate. call me paranoid, if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back