SR60 vs. SR80 vs. V6 vs. 750 vs. 950
Jun 27, 2001 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
Many of us Headwizers seem to be asking about headphones for use with portables, or without an amp. [Myself being one of them]
These seem to be the most common suggestions, and it seems like a close race, so why not have a poll?

If you would like to comment on why you chose what you chose, then go right ahead! Hope this helps a few people out other than myself.

PS. Want me to add another option to the poll? Just say it, and I'll post it.

Jun 27, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 17
sapphiremodena,
Put "Other/Don't Know" as a choice. I have only SR-60 and V6, so I can't comment on the others.

Jun 27, 2001 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 17
It's difficult to get any sort of usable, non-distorted info from a poll like this. If we haven't listened to all of the headphones in the poll, we can't really make a fair judgement. The results therefore simply become a list of what people have heard and like. More of a popularity contest than an actual reading of which phone is better without an amp.

Jun 27, 2001 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 17
How do the bass on the SR60/80 compare to the v6 or the denons?

I listen to trance/electronic music and i like impact in the bass. I'm thinking of getting the v6 because i don't want to leak too much sound out.

Jun 27, 2001 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by s00shi
How do the bass on the SR60/80 compare to the v6 or the denons?

I listen to trance/electronic music and i like impact in the bass. I'm thinking of getting the v6 because i don't want to leak too much sound out.

I've owned the SR-60's, SR-80's, SR-325's......from the SR-80's up, the Grados are good at bass reproduction.

But I still haven't heard a set of headphones that can hit the low stuff with the impact and tactility that the V6/7506's can.

Jun 27, 2001 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 17
I assume that it's Tyll.
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2001 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

I've owned the SR-60's, SR-80's, SR-325's......from the SR-80's up, the Grados are good at bass reproduction.

But I still haven't heard a set of headphones that can hit the low stuff with the impact and tactility that the V6/7506's can.

Excellent, i thought the grados have the best bass.

so what are some of the strengths that the sr80s have over the v6??

Jun 27, 2001 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 17
the denons are pretty crappy, not in the same league as the others...

As for Sony vs Grado, it all depends on your needs. If you need the isolation, then go for the V6's, because grados have no isolation, and V6's are closed (not the best at isolation, since they are only partially circumaural, but still way better than any open phone)

And as the others have said, V6's are amazing at deep bass, simply blow away grados which have limited lower bass response. I definately disagree that Grado's have good bass response. (i've heard every Grado in production except SR-40 and RS-1) Sure, they're better than all cheep headphones at bass, but Sony V6, Good Sennheisers, and even good Koss's simply blow them away in the bass department. Grados have a tight and controlled midbass, but none of the deep stuff that the other headphones can do. Grado's have an amazing midrange and slightly better treble than the V6's, however.

Jun 28, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 17
I dissagree with Thomas, the Denon are far from being crappy, i just bought a pair of Denon950, and if you are a electronica/techno fan like i am, you will just love the Denon dynamic and very detailed sound. The bass is real deep and well defined, not boomy, but with a lot of Impact, and i know what im talking about cause i was just like s00shi, looking for this type of sound, but it took me a long journey through all sort of headphones to get there. I have the SennHD545 and even if they are amazing headphones, they lack in this type of bass impact.

But i miss this airy and large soundstage when listening to band like Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Mogwai, Robert Plant/Jimmy Page, etc.. Soundstage that the Denon dont have, they are closed headphone... Im selling my Senns to my sister and was wondering if you guys can suggest me what Grado to get to enjoy again listening to Radiohead. What is the Grado equivalent of the SennHd545 in term of sound quality. Which would be the best for me(I need good bass, not necessarly with deep impact since i have my denon for electronica, but good bass for rock band and better than Seens). I need the Grado that you guys consider to have the less flaws(no harsh highs, good bass, good sounstage, good price), i want to be able to think about something else then headphone after getting my Grado, and be satisfy with my Denon950, my PortaPro and my new GradoXXX. Im beeing obsess with headphones since i discover headwize.com and i need to go in rehab and stop this obsession, think about something else....
biggrin.gif
Anyway thanks for your help....

Jun 29, 2001 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Im beeing obsess with headphones since i discover headwize.com and i need to go in rehab and stop this obsession, think about something else....

I have the EXACT same problem! My friends and family keep wondering what the heck the big deal is about headphones!!
confused.gif
All of this comparing and frequencies and treble and mids and highs and everything.....it's confusing for a guy like me who owns 10 dollar sony earbuds and really doesn't have much of an idea about sound, or what a good pair of headphones sound like
confused.gif
......so I'm gonna start out with a pair of sennheiser mx-500's for $20, then get some grado sr-60's for $60 or 70 in a few months, i know that I won't be let down with those....then in the next half year i'm gonna get the headphone that's right for me by driving across the border to Cambridge and demoing as many of the recommended cans as I can. To many people it seems like I'm making a big deal simply over a pair of headphones, but to you headwizers/head-fiers, you really can't do enough to find the right pair of cans for yourself.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back