SR60 to HD555: worth upgrading?
Nov 6, 2005 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

windrider

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, i'm still a newbie when it comes to headphones.

Sometime ago i bought a set of panasonic hje50s which showed me how much i was missing from my music by using bass bloated muddy sony earbuds.

Then the right speaker of my computer speaker system went dead, and out of some impulse and strong recommendations on this forum i got a pair of sr60s to use for all my home audio needs.

I like the grado sound alot, however i find that it can be rather fatiguing. I'm using it for long hours (i can stay at home all day) and i get slight pain in my ears sometime from listening to them, even when listening at low volumes, and i have to lower volumes to slightly unenjoyable levels (esp for rock and heavy stuff).

I currently have a pair of sennheiser hd201 which i use outdoors. Even though the sound of it doesnt match up to sr60, i can listen to it all day and not get fatigued, even at higher volumes compared to the sr60.

Thus i am currently considering offloading my sr60s and getting a pair of senn hd555 which has lower impedance and higher sensitivity now (i do not have an amp and do not intend to get one anytime soon). I would like to ask:

- how much of an improvement, if any, is the sound of hd555 over the sr60?
- is the sound signature of the hd555 similar to that of the hd201?
- i heard the hd555 are very comfortable headphones, how much more so than the sr60? (i find sr60 suitably comfortable btw, though not extremely)
- do you think this upgrade (or downgrade?) is worth it?

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 32
I have Alessandro MS1's, not Grado sr60, so I'm basing these answers on the MS1. I hope it helps anyway.

"- how much of an improvement, if any, is the sound of hd555 over the sr60?"
I prefer the Hd 555 by a fair bit. It has a more balanced sound, is less fatiguing and better with a wider variety of music. The HD 555 is a good allrounder compared to the MS1.

"- is the sound signature of the hd555 similar to that of the hd201?".
No. The HD 555 have a more balanced sound and are much better.

"- i heard the hd555 are very comfortable headphones, how much more so than the sr60? (i find sr60 suitably comfortable btw, though not extremely)"
The HD 555 are very comfortable, airy and can be easily worn for hours.

"- do you think this upgrade (or downgrade?) is worth it?"
Yes, I think it's a good upgrade.

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 32
* Improvements vs. SR-60: More soundstage, certainly - supraaural cans are just in a disadvantage here. Add to this the angled drivers. Bass and highs extension should be similar (the HD555 still reproduces more around 18 kHz, but that doesn't really count).
* Similarity to HD201: Well, the HD201 is a tad mid-centric, the HD555 should be rather warmer than that, with more bass as well.
* Comfort: With the velour earpads, they should be more comfy than the HD201 which can apparently get sweaty. If you previously had trouble with the Grado handband, the HD555's is padded.

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 32
I'm in the exact same position. I have a pair of SR60's (as well as PP's and KSC75's) and I'm considering an upgrade to the 555's.

Initially I was looking at the 497/EH350 but apparently that's not really an improvement over the SR60's so the 555s seem like a good choice. I'd like more comments regarding the 555's before taking the plunge, though.

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 32
heh, I'm also in the same boat. Got my SR60s about two months ago. I told myself when I got them that they'd be good enough forever. I end up wearing them on a few 8-12 hour stints and they start to wear out my ears. I too would appreciate as many comments as possible.

I'm just afraid that once I start upgrading I wont be able to stop. My wallet's pretty happy right now, having only spent $70.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 32
The HD 555s/595s are well balanced and very comfortable. They are absolutely ideal for long distance listening. I wear my HD 595s every day for about 8-10 hours without getting sore ears (sonically or physically). I find the HD 595s better suited for music listening, whereas the HD 555s do better with DVDs/Games.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 32
How are they for rock music? I understand that they're not nearly as laid back at the 580/600 (which view as a good thing) but are they forward enough?

Also, I've heard that the bass is a bit on the weak side. How much punch do they give compared to, say, the SR60's?

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
How are they for rock music? I understand that they're not nearly as laid back at the 580/600 (which view as a good thing) but are they forward enough?

Also, I've heard that the bass is a bit on the weak side. How much punch do they give compared to, say, the SR60's?

I have never had SR60s but I do have HD555s. I listen to mostly rock music and I really don't feel like I am missing anything. I probably average at least 6 hours a day with little or no fatigue. The bass is definintely not weak and I love how it brings out bass parts that I have missed with other speakers. I think they could be a bit more forward but it may be my source (audigy1) sucking.

Overall I am very pleased, probably the best $120 I have spent in a while.

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 32
sorry to be kinda off topic but how does the HD555 compare to the HD590? '

you can get the HD555 for around 100 shipped in most places but I found the HD590 at buyeretail for 107 shipped..

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 32
thanks for all the feedback. found a potential buyer for my sr60... if the deal goes through i'll be looking forward to a new pair of hd555 ^^

edit: certainly painful to part with my grados tho. They sound great and my they're first real headphone experience. Feeling sad already
frown.gif
maybe i'll get another pair of grados when i start work and get some money
icon10.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 32
Hey all sorry just realized i had one more question... (or should i post this as a new topic?)

Does the 555 or 595 sound better when unamped?

and when unamped would the 595 warrant the higher price over the 555?

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider
Hey all sorry just realized i had one more question... (or should i post this as a new topic?)

Does the 555 or 595 sound better when unamped?

and when unamped would the 595 warrant the higher price over the 555?

i upgraded from the 555 to the 595 not long ago. unamped, the 595 sounds better than the 555. however, i don't think it's worth the premium unless you're planning on buying an amp sooner or later.

that said, you'll buy the 595 sooner or later anyway
biggrin.gif

(this forum really needs a 555/595 smiley)

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by aZn_plyR
sorry to be kinda off topic but how does the HD555 compare to the HD590?

Technically, the HD590 still seems to be a bit better, from what I've read here. Whether you like it better as well will depend on which sonic signature you prefer, as 590s aren't for everyone. (They bear some resemblance to DT990s.)

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 32
All I can say is that my HD555 are treating me very very nicely. The sound is very very all-rounded. They are also extremely comfortable and not heavy at all. The build quality is what you'd expect from a mid/high-end pair of Sennheisers, though nowhere as good as a pair of HD600/650 though that cost many times more). The soundstage is indeed quite vast, but I feel that the sound is a bit laid back for bassy music. I reckon that for bassy music, the SR-60's in-your-head feeling would definitely deliver a more satisfying effect. However, the SR60 will lack the detail and precision that the HD555 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back