SR60 to HD555: worth upgrading?
Nov 7, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 32
I argee. They are detailed, and sound great on less dense music, especially simple vocals. Caution: They reveal all the warbling of a low bitrate mp3.

But they don't have what it takes for metal. When things get busy, they muddy the imaging and compress the dynamics. The 555s are not for head banging.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 32
I just bought a pair of HD555's as an upgrade from my KSC-75's. My friend has a pair of SR80's, so I can give a quick review when the senns come in.

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut
But they don't have what it takes for metal. When things get busy, they muddy the imaging and compress the dynamics. The 555s are not for head banging.

Damn, that really puts a wrench in my gears.

I was really considering ordering a pair of 555's but I listen to quite a bit of metal. I listen to many different genres but metal is among my favourite.

Now I don't know what to do.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #19 of 32
Youve got the typical Grado dilemma: you like the sound, but the phones are uncomfortable.
Join the club.
Have you tried changing the pads?
I dont like the comfies on the sr-60 at all...an upgrade to the 225's with some bowls/flats or Senn 414 pads will do WONDERS for you (and tame those highs!).
If youre a metal man-stay Grado-do not go Senn.
The Sennheiser sound will bore you.
I wrote a lengthy thread this afternoon on this exact problem.
I will bump the thread up right now-look for the one on "Grado Pad Options".
Also, no amps needed-once you get these pads comfortable again, it will be a no brainer for you.

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #21 of 32
I'm really tempted to go for a blind buy of the 555's. I won't be able to give them a test listen for a long time and I'm really becoming eager to grab a nice pair full, rich, circumaural headphones.

Would a blind purchase be a bad idea or should I go for it?

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #22 of 32
Go for it. They are really amazing cans and have about 90-95% the sound of the HD 595s. A great entry into the Sennheiser world.

Nov 13, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 32
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of reassurance I need. If I can just get a few more people who are as enthusiastic, I'm going to order a pair from here.

I just have a couple remaining concerns. Firstly, are these a decent step up from a pair of SR60's and KSC75's? I love both headphones but if I'm spending this kinda money (it's a lot for an unemployed college student) I want to make sure I'm getting something which is actually an improvement and not just 'different'. (You own the KSC75's, right? How do the two compare?) Secondly, is the 120 ohm version made any more? Because I want to make sure that what I'm ordering is easy to drive (the 50 ohm version).

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #24 of 32
I reckon you will definitely notice the upgrade. I can not recommend them enough. They are one of the best entries into the Sennheiser world (I reckon the best is the PX100, then the HD555). You will not regret it.

About the 120 ohm version, I don't think it is made anymore. Sennheiser swapped to 50 ohm so that they could extend the market to portable users. Having said that, I don't know whether it is better or worse than the 120 ohm version. Don't worry though, I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to tell them apart!

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #25 of 32
a search on froogle brings up a few sites selling them for cheaper prices though

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of reassurance I need. If I can just get a few more people who are as enthusiastic, I'm going to order a pair from here.

I just have a couple remaining concerns. Firstly, are these a decent step up from a pair of SR60's and KSC75's? I love both headphones but if I'm spending this kinda money (it's a lot for an unemployed college student) I want to make sure I'm getting something which is actually an improvement and not just 'different'. (You own the KSC75's, right? How do the two compare?) Secondly, is the 120 ohm version made any more? Because I want to make sure that what I'm ordering is easy to drive (the 50 ohm version).

I have all three: SR-60, HD555, KSC75.

I listen to metal, rarely, but not on my 555s.

Having said that, I think the 555 is definitely a step up from the KSC75. Remember, the KSC is a great bang-for-the-buck headphone, but it is not in the same league as the full-sized HD555.

I don't know if I would call the 555 a step up from the SR-60 as much as I would say they are different. I'm not a seasoned audiophile, so take this with a grain of salt: The 555s sound fuller and richer, and are definitely darker than the SR-60. The Senns won't give you the bright highs that you get with your Grados. The highs are there, just not as emphasized, which is why I kept my SR-60s (and eventually got a 325i) and prefer those for rock. The Senns, to me, really shine with acoustic or more laid back music like Steely Dan. When I want to listen to Stevie Ray or Van Halen, I grab the Grados. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, just giving my opinion. The HD555 is a fine entry-level Sennheiser headphone, but it is different from the Grados.

My suggestion, if you can't afford both, and if you can't audition the HD555 before buying, would be to purchase them from a dealer with a good return policy, even if it costs you a bit more. Better to spend a few bucks more and have that option than to be stuck with something that doesn't suit you. Or buy a used pair and re-sell them if you don't like them.

As far as the impedance, call or email the vendor. The new 555s are 50-ohm but you never know if they have some of the old, higher-impedance stock laying around.

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #27 of 32
I've gotta say, reading that has really disappointed me.
frown.gif

Now I don't know what to do. I never had any plans to replace my SR60's (I love them too much to sell them) but I was really hoping for an additional pair that would give me a fresh sound, yet still function as an upgrade.

Also, I emailed that site (ElectronJons) a few days ago about the impedance but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully I get a response soon. Does ToddTheVinylJunkie match prices and ship to Canada? Because if so, I'd rather order from a site than everyone around here seems to trust than somewhere I've never heard of before.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
Go for it. They are really amazing cans and have about 90-95% the sound of the HD 595s. A great entry into the Sennheiser world.

I much prefer hd595 to hd555. Don't think hd555 is THAT CLOSE (90-95%)

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
I'm really tempted to go for a blind buy of the 555's. I won't be able to give them a test listen for a long time and I'm really becoming eager to grab a nice pair full, rich, circumaural headphones.

Would a blind purchase be a bad idea or should I go for it?

Instead of climbing up the upgradtis ladder, y dun u juz launched to the top by buying the HD6xx series? The long and winding road of upgrading bleeds one to death
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

c'mon man go out in a blaze of glory!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back