SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Jan 28, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #452 of 594
You're not alone rgs9200m! See my profile. I also enjoy a 007tII/009 pair and I think the Stax amp is really excellent if you consider its price. Its sole weakness, IMO, is its volume pot, which clearly degrades the sound quality (see my post #2912 in Headamp BHSE thread. I should soon be able to compare it with the BHSE.

Regards

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #453 of 594
Quote:
You're not alone rgs9200m! See my profile. I also enjoy a 007tII/009 pair and I think the Stax amp is really excellent if you consider its price. Its sole weakness, IMO, is its volume pot, which clearly degrades the sound quality (see my post #2912 in Headamp BHSE thread. I should soon be able to compare it with the BHSE.

Regards

Thanks for that Phil. 'great to know I'm not alone or imagining things.
Yeah, I guess the Alps pot is not the best.
However, I'm not a fan of steppers like the Dact 23-step one because I can't get a precise enough level (I like the TKD 500 pot better and use that in my other amp). The TKD pot sounds phenomenal, in some ways better than the Dact in the lower treble.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #454 of 594
Although I'm not interested in which is supposed to be the better of the two between the BHSE or LL driving the 009's, I'd like to point out that when myself and headfier IanG listened to my BHSE and his LL at my place about 8 months ago, the source being used for both was my K-01. I think if anyone wanted to do a comparison between any amp or headphone, the last source that should be used is the K-01. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #455 of 594
Referring to Tyll's review, does anyone have any thoughts on his conclusions for the Woo WES?

I own one, and would be interested in knowing how to improve the shortcoming Tyll describes:

Unfortunately, while the WES was superb with sweet acoustic music, it tended towards a bit sloppy when faced with driving dynamic tracks, and slightly confused with large orchestral works. Running the volume control up only served to make matters worse.
I'll recommend the Woo WES for all those who love the lush sound of tubes. Its creamy delivery combined with the brilliant articulation of the SR-009 is a great combination for acoustic chamber and jazz ensembles. But if your tastes run the gamut into driving rock, EDM, and large orchestral works the improved driver control of the next two amps might better suit you.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #456 of 594
Complete rebuild of both amp and PSU is the only way to truly fix it and make it half decent.  Most of the current parts have to be scrapped aside from a few capacitors and perhaps some of the resistors.

A less invasive procedure would be to fix the worst issues with the PSU and completely rewire the amp.  It still won't outperform a Stax SRM-727 but it will be better. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #458 of 594
popcorn.gif
 hi all. don't have electrostatics, but hope to one day. Just singing up to check out what you all have to say

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #460 of 594
incorrect on both counts!
The reason I have not bought them is exactly due to wallet concerns. The price tags are insane

However, I have been to a meet where Justin at HeadAmp brought the Blue Hawaii and SR009 and I sure have seen the mountain top and it is beautiful. I got one hit, and now I just need to have it! Some people say that first time they listen they are not blown away. For me, That set up had everything I want in an  HP rig.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #461 of 594
Quote:
incorrect on both counts!
The reason I have not bought them is exactly due to wallet concerns. The price tags are insane

However, I have been to a meet where Justin at HeadAmp brought the Blue Hawaii and SR009 and I sure have seen the mountain top and it is beautiful. I got one hit, and now I just need to have it! Some people say that first time they listen they are not blown away. For me, That set up had everything I want in an  HP rig.

It's jaw dropping good!

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #462 of 594
Quote:
Complete rebuild of both amp and PSU is the only way to truly fix it and make it half decent.  Most of the current parts have to be scrapped aside from a few capacitors and perhaps some of the resistors.

A less invasive procedure would be to fix the worst issues with the PSU and completely rewire the amp.  It still won't outperform a Stax SRM-727 but it will be better. 

Are you referring to the WES?

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #463 of 594
I find it comical and somewhat juvenile how some people exaggerate the differences.  When in reality professional reviewers claim that there really aren't big differences and that the WES is superior in some ways:

We’d say the Blue Hawaii SE isn’t quite as good as the Woo WES in terms of absolute neutrality (provided the Woo has been fitted with optional, upgraded driver and output tubes), because the BHSE provides a little more upper bass than we’d hear live. But apart from hair-splitting comparisons with the more costly, upgraded Woo WES, the bass of the BHSE remains top notch.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #464 of 594
Professional reviewers get paid to say good things, not bad comments. 
I wouldn't trust them any more than a used car salesman..
(no offense to headfiers who sell used cars :)
PS Tyll, OTOH really knows what he is talking about. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #465 of 594
Are you trying to use the reviews to justify your purchase of the WES? Just like someone who bought the stuff from Mal Ware and tried to find all the reasons to make people think putting the outputs on the rear is reasonable. If you have both of the WES and BHSE and tell me the WES sounds better, then great, I have no comment. Bringing up the reviews, on the other hands, seems weak to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back