SR-80 beats HD-650
Nov 6, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #92 of 103
Can't we just call the Senns "relaxing" as opposed to "dull"? That's how I find them. I have 650s and 325is (with flats) and they're used for different things now.

However, I do think that anybody who can't tell the difference with a decent amp is absolutely insane. Surprisingly, the most dramatic difference I've ever felt was with the Grado soundstage when I used it with my Supermacro. However, you only get that really nice bass with the 650s with an amp; otherwise they sound stupid.

Maybe if we stopped using adjectives with negative connotations we wouldn't get into so many scraps. Sounds really lame of me, but nonetheless, this got out of hand fairly quickly.

NOTE: I think these amps do matter enormously, and I'm a firm proponent of DBT. Take that as you will.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #93 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
Yikes. Some of us need a life.

Hope you weren't referring to me, I have quite a decent life.
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Hope you weren't referring to me, I have quite a decent life.
tongue.gif

I refer to those who get all worked up in flames and trash all other folks' opinions. In your posts, you defend another's right to an opinion, indicating that you must have a life. In fact, your posts tend to be among the more insightful here on this site.

FWIW, I haven't liked the Grados that I've heard, but I'm glad that they make them for the people that do like them. I also do not listen to the music that they are said to excel at. To each his own.

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #95 of 103
neither one is better. you simply like one over the other.
real audiophiles must have EVERY expensive headphone. and like them all equaly!

sorry about your wallet!

music_man.

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #96 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
Take care dude , why no sleep? cuz of work?

As previously stated, insomnia. I just can't sleep (well, finally did, but lately I've been having major problems getting to sleep).

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #97 of 103
Kyle, If you do look for an amp for the 650's, Earmax Pro had served me very well and is one amp I'll never sell. Will make the Senns sing and sound great with Grado (currently have HF-1 and did have RS-1, both sound great). Ron Tabor of the Audiophile Club in London imports these and supplies hand matched upgraded valves, cost £450. You might not be ready for that outlay yet, I appreciate.

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #98 of 103
OK, sorry to bring up a thread that seemed to offend some people, so once again, this is my opinion.

I am now in possession of both a Graham Slee Slee solo (which Sennheiser themselves consider the 'Daddy' here in the uk) and a HPI-MKII.

Well, after listening to many styles of music, on the whole i prefer............................................ ...........................Grado SR-80's

I know this may offend some 650 owners, but please accept that this is personal preference.

Yes, i may be wrong. Yes i may not be able to appreciate music 'properly' but i enjoy the brightness of the Grado's more than i enjoy the bass of the Senn's. The 650's still seem to dark for me.
frown.gif

I am really gutted i didn't get a pair of HF-1's before they run out but i'm about to order some 325's which will hopefully fill the void between my other two pairs of cans.

Too all those that contributed to the original question, yes i can hear the difference between the amped & none amped 650's, but feel that the grado sound is what i crave, and not simply that my 650's are under-powered. Even amped, when listening too some bright drum n bass or pretty much any IDM, there is a lack of detail with the 650's.

Again, please don't take this as offence, it's just my preference. I''l post again when i get my 325's. Hopefully (Please god.......i can't afford another pair of cans) this will be my resting place and i will die happy.

Please note, if i like them i will never return to head-fi for fear of catching upgradeitis and ending up with RS-1's. Don't take this personal, my wallet just can't take the pressure.

Peace out

Kyle

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #99 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle
Well, after listening to many styles of music, on the whole i prefer............................................ ...........................Grado SR-80's

I know this may offend some 650 owners, but please accept that this is personal preference.

No need to apologize for what YOU like. Anyway, maybe you can try different cabling with the 650s? Another avenue to explore...or go to the sales section and try some 225/325 Grados (avoid funky taxes in the UK).

In the end, I prefer my HD600s to everything as I like a smooth sound. And let's be frank, it can play any type of music very well, so I have no issue with rock. I use mine with a SM-3 with 627s, stock cables.

-Alex

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #103 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
lol..like that combo exisit in real life..
biggrin.gif

Every so often, some brash young upstart brings his Ferrari (or Lamborghini) to the "drag strip"-- mis-steers, and ends up crashing into an immovable barrier. Usually, video of the event gets passed about on the internet the next day (e.g http://www.stupidcollege.com/items/Ferrari-Crash ). Ah Schaedenfreude.

I guess the nearest equivalent would be a woeful tale of someone irreparably damaging his (recently gifted) Orpheus headphones in a SPL contest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back