SR-80 beats HD-650
Nov 5, 2005 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

Kyle

New Head-Fier
No, that's not the wrog way round. I've recently bought some 80's for travelling and giving them a tryout i can't believe how much i prefer them. Being new to head-fi i dont really get all the correct terminology but these 80's are just so much more precise (my terminology, meaning more detail higher up....Would brighter be the correct definition?) At first i missed the bass my 650's gave but after a longer period with the 80's i just forgive the low end as they deliver a sound much more enjoyable to me.

So, Is this the Grado sound that i needed all along (in which case HF-1's,225's or 325's?) or is this the lack of a suitable headphone amp (Still researching this one after the apparent balls up on the 650 purchase)

I wish i could go back to the days before i found head-fi and just enjoy speakers, life was just simpler then.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 103
Could be either I think. I do think that he HD650s do improve significantly with a good amp. But then again, you may just prefer the Grado souund over your Senns. And yes I find grados to be brighter than Senns.

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 103
Welcom to school: Sennheiser HD-6xx's are overrated (Dull)

You are now a member in an ever growing group of people who feel the same way.

The support group meets Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9pm (at the local Y)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 103
When I got my MS1 i prefered it over the HD600 for the first time and listened only to them. But then after a while I changed them and I really liked the Senn. I liked them so much that I bought the HD650. I liked them much more than the MS1 - for a long time. But then I got the HF1. Whoa another step and suddenly everything was better with the HF1. The the story happens again. Just yesterday I started again to listen to the Senn and I like them.
Both cans are great and if you will get one of them new you will like it better unless you just don't like the housesound of them. But then after a while you will see that the "old one" also has it's strong points...

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 103
Oh well, I'm sure there's a lesson in this for me somewhere (Impulse buys suck donkey balls maybe?). Looks like *Another* headphone purchase is on cards before my headphone amp. Any recommendations on 225/HF-1/325???

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlMusikfreak
But then after a while you will see that the "old one" also has it's strong points...

Oh dear god, i appreciate the feedback but why can't this hobby be more black and white, i.e. Senn's < Grado. It's an expensive hobby finding out what your tastes are.
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle
Oh well, I'm sure there's a lesson in this for me somewhere (Impulse buys suck donkey balls maybe?). Looks like *Another* headphone purchase is on cards before my headphone amp. Any recommendations on 225/HF-1/325???

HF-1 FOR SURE. ONly a few left now, they're limited edition, so you can't go wrong. If you don't like them, you can sell them for at least what you bought them, if not for more
eek.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 103
My concern is (rightly so after this being my 3rd pair of headphones in about 3 months) if i get the HF-1s, will i be wishing and ultimatley buying the 325's anyway. I must add i've never sold anything online (or offline) so it would almost certainly be two more headphones purchases if i get this wrong.

What are the pro's/con's of each of these or am i peeing into the wind with thsat question, like asking should i get senn's/grado's in the first place?

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 103
Well, the HF-1 has a couple significant pros for it right now:

1)The general consensus is that it is superior to the similarly priced SR-225. Some even prefer it to the 325i (I have no say in this matter, since I've never heard either one)

2)It is a very limited run (There are fewer than 20 left as I write this... maybe even none). You can probably expect to be able to sell them at the purchase price or higher.

It's gonna be hard to come out a loser if you decide to get the HF-1. If you love it, great. If you don't, you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back. That was my attitude when I placed my order
biggrin.gif

(p.s. I'm hoping I will love it. I'm upgrading from MS-1s)

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 103
I had about the opposite experience when I bought my Woody 225s. I paid quite a bit more for them than I did for my 595s and really didn't think much of them in comparison when I first got them. Over time I tried different pads, put them through quite a bit of burn-in, washed the bowls a few times and generally gotten used to them. Now for me they are on par with the 595s. Each of them have different strengths but I'd be hard pressed to part with either of them and listen to them about equally.

All of those comments are with an amp, without one I prefer the 225s. I hear a good deal of improvement with each one amplified but to me the 595s (120Ohm version) sound a little lifeless without an amp. Volume isn't an issue as they'll both go plenty loud for me but without an amp I find the Senns kind of dull whereas the Grados are still fun to listen to.

FWIW I would go with the HF-1. You can always buy the 325i later if you want to but the HF-1 won't be around much longer. Plus they're cheaper (less investment if you decide you don't like them or they're not enough of an improvement for you over the 80s) and generally regarded to be better than the 225s which would appear to make them a good investment since they're the same price.

Ant

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
HF-1 FOR SURE. ONly a few left now, they're limited edition, so you can't go wrong. If you don't like them, you can sell them for at least what you bought them, if not for more
eek.gif

Just emailed Todd to confirm the cost of import. The price to import these i think is comparible to the 125's in the UK. I think this would represent excellent value regardless of any any future upgrades.

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle
So, Is this the Grado sound that i needed all along (in which case HF-1's,225's or 325's?) or is this the lack of a suitable headphone amp (Still researching this one after the apparent balls up on the 650 purchase)

Probably a bit of both. The HD650 is from a heritage/lineup that's definitely oriented toward classical and acoustic music -- a lot of classical music has been mastered using HD600s. The HD650 is supposed to be better for aggressive music than the HD580/600, but I think it's probably far from ideal. OTOH, Grados are well suited for such music, IMO.

P.S. it would help if you filled out your profile, and put your musical tastes in the appropriate section.

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate
All of those comments are with an amp, without one I prefer the 225s. I hear a good deal of improvement with each one amplified but to me the 595s (120Ohm version) sound a little lifeless without an amp. Volume isn't an issue as they'll both go plenty loud for me but without an amp I find the Senns kind of dull whereas the Grados are still fun to listen to.

Ant

Hhmm. I'm still not 100% where the weak link is here. with my current setup (Sony STR-DB1070 amp > Senn's & Sony STR-DB1070 amp > Cmoy amp > Grado's due to the grado's having no volume from the sony and the senn's losing detail with the cmoy) the grado's win hands down, but if i get the HF-1's, are they 'harder to drive' the the 80's and maybe show a drop in quality resulting in a 650ish sound?

Apologies if these are all suck it and see answers but i really don't have the money to through around if i'm wrong, also considering a dedicated amp is on the cards regardless of headphne purchasing.

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 103
You like grado sound, that's all there is to it.

Quote:

Welcom to school: Sennheiser HD-6xx's are overrated (Dull)

You are now a member in an ever growing group of people who feel the same way.

Am I the only one getting tired of the elitist "I hate senns so I'm special" crud that pops up every now and then? I understand when people don't like the signature of a particular phone, but those words were pretty harsh. The guy just prefers the grado house sound, no need to crap on the senn.

Nov 5, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Am I the only one getting tired of the elitist "I hate senns so I'm special" crud that pops up every now and then?

No you're not... particularly given the fact that Senns are far from dull. I s'pose this guy might refer to classical music as "dull" also (?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back