SR-80 beats HD-650
Nov 6, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #76 of 103
<IMHO>

Wow, Didn't expect to wake up to all that. I apologise about starting that as it was not my attention. I always assume that unless otherwise stated, the auther was always meaning to put imho first, which is what a forum is. (i'll edit the title accordingly).

Sifting through, i think i can peice together two peices of information from both camps.

Yes, I may prefer the Grado sound, meaning that the HF-1's would be a superb purchase.

Yes, I may not have listened to the Senns at full potential, meaning an AMP would be a superb purchase.

Thanks to all those that replied, being new to this it's usefull to know everybody else's opinion as it will be the basis for my future purchases however ultimatley, as with everybody else my opinion will be my own.

p.s. A Mini cooper isn't better than a rolls royce because it's smaller and faster, nor is a rolls royce better than a mini because it's more expensive. If i wanted to drive round the UK's A roads, the mini would be better.....for me.

</IMHO>

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #77 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle
...is this the lack of a suitable headphone amp (Still researching this one after the apparent balls up on the 650 purchase)

When the HD600 had the position on the top of the ladder, a separate amp was claimed to be a panacea to every sort of problem. Whether the Senns were considered too bass-heavy or bass-light, an amp was always nsupposed to be THE solution.

Been there, done that. I bought an (at that time quite highly regarded) amp and found that it made only a very slight difference.

Now, I am ready to believe that the HD650 may be a very good headphone indeed. But the problem with many of its fans is that they want it to be the best headphone for everyone. In their opinion it is simply impossible not to like them.

The obvious conclusion then is that there must be something wrong with your equipment: you lack an amp, snake oil aftermarket cables or that elusive "synergy" between the components in your system. You will hear laughable maxims about how the Senns "should be treated like a $2500 headphone" etc. I guess it makes the owners feel better about their purchase.

My advice: if you like your Grados, stick with them.

Regards,

L.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #78 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
When the HD600 had the position on the top of the ladder, a separate amp was claimed to be a panacea to every sort of problem. Whether the Senns were considered too bass-heavy or bass-light, an amp was always nsupposed to be THE solution.

Been there, done that. I bought an (at that time quite highly regarded) amp and found that it made only a very slight difference.

Now, I am ready to believe that the HD650 may be a very good headphone indeed. But the problem with many of its fans is that they want it to be the best headphone for everyone. In their opinion it is simply impossible not to like them.

The obvious conclusion then is that there must be something wrong with your equipment: you lack an amp, snake oil aftermarket cables or that elusive "synergy" between the components in your system. You will hear laughable maxims about how the Senns "should be treated like a $2500 headphone" etc. I guess it makes the owners feel better about their purchase.

My advice: if you like your Grados, stick with them.

Regards,

L.

See, this is the reason I don’t become a contributing member, the reason I think about leaving, and never coming back; the reason I miss common sense head-fiers like MacDEF. The fact that you are completely deaf, and cannot hear a difference between amplification changes, and headphone cable changes shows me how weak this forum has become. Do you really believe that everyone else is wrong, and your opinion is correct? If the rest of us are so stupid to think that these changes make a difference why are you here if you know all the answers?

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #79 of 103
Sorry to break it to you. Amps don't do squat. Cables don't do jack. And I can barely hear a difference between Grados and Senn's. To be perfectly honest, I pretty much decided a long time ago to join TEAM DONATION.

Who else is in?

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #80 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
The fact that you are completely deaf, and cannot hear a difference between amplification changes, and headphone cable changes shows me how weak this forum has become.

As harsh/direct as you come across, I have to agree. Anyone who doesn't hear an improvement for the better with an amp for HD600 (and can't hear other changes, and doesn't understand system synergy, and otherwise buries their head in the sand) is in the wrong forum, the wrong hobby and wasting not only their own time but that of the rest of us as well.

It's about time for some straight talk around here. All the recent threads whining about how this and that don't make a difference is even getting to ME lately (and I'm not a huge cable believer, and definitely not a power cord believer). It's just gotten ridiculous around here lately.

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #81 of 103
Cool it people
biggrin.gif
Though there is some undeniable truth that great phones need great source and amps, the basis sound characteristic of a headphone doesn't change much. Either you like it or not. All these posts i read make me create a conclusion is that people tend to be egoistic of either their gear or their opinion on the gear and/or the cash spent on the gear. BUT they are just gears
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
Cool it people
biggrin.gif
Though there is some undeniable truth that great phones need great source and amps, the basis sound characteristic of a headphone doesn't change much. Either you like it or not.

Are you saying if a person doesn't like HD600 unamped, they won't like it amped either? If so, I dispute that as false (depends on how beefy the unamped output of course, but most that are beefy enough also have a high output impedance and will bloat the bass and create a midbass hump).

Nov 6, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #83 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Are you saying if a person doesn't like HD600 unamped, they won't like it amped either? If so, I dispute that as false (depends on how beefy the unamped output of course, but most that are beefy enough also have a high output impedance and will bloat the bass and create a midbass hump).

relax i never said that, don't put words in my mouth. Yes with good amp , it definately smoothen the sound and make it better but the basic characteristic is still the same. Relaz
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
relax i never said that, don't put words in my mouth. Yes with good amp , it definately smoothen the sound and make it better but the basic characteristic is still the same. Relaz
biggrin.gif

I'm completely relaxed, so you relax your interpretation of me being unrelaxed...
tongue.gif

Edit -- OK, I'm a bit irritable this morning & maybe it's coming across unconsciously. Bad insomnia and I've been awake over 48 hrs straight at this point...
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #85 of 103
Yikes. Some of us need a life.

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #86 of 103

Nov 6, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #87 of 103

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #88 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
consider yourself lucky and sell the 650s and save yourself money.

LOL
biggrin.gif
This is both funny and true. If you love the SR-80 with your current source and amp (or unamped), stick with it and run away from this forum!
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #89 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'm completely relaxed, so you relax your interpretation of me being unrelaxed...
tongue.gif

Edit -- OK, I'm a bit irritable this morning & maybe it's coming across unconsciously. Bad insomnia and I've been awake over 48 hrs straight at this point...
frown.gif

Take care dude , why no sleep? cuz of work?

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #90 of 103
I think it's funny that the original poster now has to apologise for stating his opinion and asking a simple question.
biggrin.gif

Kyle, I think that with the money you can get from selling the Hd 650, you'll probably be able to afford a HF-1 or even a RS-1. These are great headphones and will be most likely more to your liking. From my experience, the Hd 650 does wake up with better amplification, source material and cabling but the tonal characteristics (such as the frequency response, overall balance, etc.) do not change that much as to turn it into an entirely different animal. It is very probable that you'll like the HD 650 much more when provided with a better front end but the probability is even higher that you'll absolutely love the Grados with such a front end. It's not like Grados don't respond to better gear as well. I personally much prefer the HD 650 over the SR-80 regardless of what's driving them, which includes Ipods and receivers. Just to be on the safe side, you should at least try to hear the Hd 650 once when driven from a decent amp (perhaps at a store or meets). Otherwise you might miss out one some of the exquisite qualities of this headphone. Chances, however, are that you still won't like it.

And just a friendly reminder: This year's annual Grado bonfire will be postponed due to the HF-1's popularity, so please check your newsletters for changes. As always non-wooden Grados will be woodyfied with kind support by Headphile.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back