SR 325 vs CD3000 vs RS1
Oct 28, 2001 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jaskin

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new pair of headphones. Which ones above should I consider? I've had the SR325s before and I enjoyed them tremendously. I haven't heard the RS1 nor the CD3000s before. Would there be a significant improvement going up from the 325s? BTW I have a 4S right now with Daniel Pumphrey's Silver Wires. They're alittle troublesome to put on or take off plus my gf's complaining she can't talk to me. I wouldn't want to get anything less than the RS1's or the cd3000s.
Please contribute!

Thanks
Jason

Oct 28, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 13
Of couse we can't determine which will appeal most to you, as it is all personal taste and doesn't really matter what I or anyone here thinks is best.

Here are my observations, fist Grado RS1 will be most expensive by quite a margin unless you buy used. Since you owned SR325 (which should be called RS3) you know the Grado sound, RS1 is slightly more detailed/open with better air/resolution vs SR325.
The improvement is nowhere near the over 2X price jump you pay
vs SR325, but this is true with any high end gear, you have to pay much more for ever smaller increases in sound. Unless you have really good amp/source probably best to go SR325 as the extra capabilities of RS1 will not be fully utilized, but if you want the best and have the money go RS1.

The Sony CD3000 has completely different sound vs Grado. The
RS1/SR325 are slightly warm sounding to me, the CD3000 has more treble energy and is even more detailed/open than RS1, I
use the CD3000 for well recorded rock and all classical. For lesser
quality rock and slightly hot/bright recordings I need to go with
the Grados or Senn HD600, the CD3000 is too bright/revealing for these, need some warmth. I got my CD3000 new for $379 from
millionbuy.com, so these are cheaper than RS1.

Depends on what amp you are using, if you have a warm tube/SS unit that needs treble energy/extension the CD3000 could be all you need. It does have amazing detail retrieval!

BTW, why did you not keep the SR325 you had before........you didn't listen to the "myth" spread here that they are too bright did you?

Oct 28, 2001 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi,

I actually had the MSIIs which are actually rebadged Grados. I really loved the Grado sound but I hate the earphone cord. It's horrible. I sold it because I was quite determined to quit my headphone habit! LOL! now I know I cannot! The problem with the Grados I had was that they were too open. I couldn't listen to them while my GF and I were studying nor could I listen while she was asleep due to sound leakage.
I listen to rick and some Jazz recordings. My concern is clarity and definition. I like my music to have a certian sparkle to it. Maybe it's called bright in music terms. At the moment, I'm crazy about the Dave Matthews band and Bruce Springsteen. I certainly miss the bass impact that the Ety's lack... The Ety's are very good though.

Cheers
Jason

Oct 28, 2001 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 13
The solution is so simple...buy a pair of Ety's for your GF. haha jk. Or build some intercom device so that your GF can speak to you through your Ety's...but I think that'd be so easy for your GF to abuse.

Lol I just picture something funny where your GF tells you to take out Ety's so you can hear her...but than you put on some Grados...and for some reason I wouldn't think she'd be that happy even though you say stuff like "but they're open-air headphones!". Then she's like "you're still not listening", so you finally take off all your headphones, and turn up the speakers.

Hmmmm, I'm picturing an argument where your GF says, "You love those things more than me!"...and Jaskin takes a little too long to reply.

Oct 28, 2001 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Jaskin

Clarity, Definition, Sparkle = Sony CD3000

Not sure what you didn't like about Grado cord, it is pretty standard and causes me no problems. The CD3000 cord is
3 meter straight (not the coiled POS that comes with many Sony models) single cord from cans contains both R/L channel, unimatch
gold plug. Also don't be fooled, the CD3000 looks like closed back
cans but is actually open design and leaks/picks-up sound just as
easily as Grado models

Oct 28, 2001 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

The
RS1/SR325 are slightly warm sounding to me, the CD3000 has more treble energy and is even more detailed/open than RS1
[snip]
you didn't listen to the "myth" spread here that they are too bright did you?

Dark Angel, I haven't heard the RS1, but I've heard the RS2 which many people say are quite similar (definitely more similar than the RS1 and 325). I found the sound of the RS2 and the 325 to be quite different. The 325 were indeed brighter than the RS2, and I actually did find the 325 to be "bright." I don't know if I'd call it a "myth"
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 13
ok guys, here's the bottom line is whether a 2nd hand RS1 is worth about $200 more than a brand new MSIIs!?
BTW anyone know where I might be able to audition the Sony's in Toronto?

Oct 28, 2001 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Mac
Many people here say they find the SR325 bright, and I'm starting to wonder if Grado made some design change in the last year or so. My SR325 are 3 months old purchased new, and when I compare them to my RS2, I find them slightly warmer than RS2, SR325 has more bass emphasis and RS2 is very slightly more open/detailed.......so just goes to show I guess its all system dependent and listeners own taste in music, or I may be losing it!

These observations made using modified/flipped comfy pads, not stock bowl pads

Oct 28, 2001 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 13
Jaskin
I see you caught the add by SumB, used Grado RS1 for $395, seems to be good deal since they retail for $700.......plus he lives in Canada so shipping is simplified.

Oct 29, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
I wouldn't want to get anything less than the RS1's or the cd3000s.
Please contribute!

Well I don't know the RS-1 in detail, but I can contribute by saying that the CD3000 are simply excellent. At least for my preferences that is, I have been fully satisfied by these cans. Still want more of course, but the 3k now have a special place in my beoheart.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 13
I have to honestly say that the 325's are perhaps one of the best for the money and has everything that I need a headphone to offer.
I do know this first hand, the 325's no matter the year with the new Bowl pads do in fact sound bright!!, however this gives alot of detail and some people like it and some don't. However if you are a bass junky, if you use the Radio Shack pads you will get some really really mad bass as the driver is now closer to your ear.

I found that the 325's with the bowls a bit too bright and I wanted a warmer and bassier sound, so I bought donut pads and volia, perfect sound for me.
I'd almost say that the 325's are the best for the price and versitility for "open" headphones, like the V6 of closed cans.

They are comfortable, they have low impance, and they aren't extremely large (sony 3000) thus great for protability.
As well the sound is great, I think that these cans can give you whatever sound you are looking for, just depending on what style of pads you want... the closer to the driver the warmer and more bassier the sound. the further away, the more crisper, less bassy, punchier sound.

Open cans like the 3000 are what I feel too big for portability, yet are very great cans. The Senn 600's and 580 (perhaps senn's best cans) are very good sounding, but not realistic for portable use. They have far too high of impance at like 300ohms to be a versitle headphone, and requires a headphone amp and good source to sound good.

Oct 29, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 13
I might go for the SR325s again, I miss those cans plus $200 more for a 2nd hand set of RS1s seems kinda steep. I could uise the $200 to get some power conditioners and better interconnects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back