SR-009 vs Orpheus/SR-Omega/O2s?
Sep 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 191

Nomad

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all. It's been a while...

Is it too early to look for feedback from people owning at home some of these systems for some meaningful A/B impressions?

I've been browsing through pages and pages (and pages) of what it looks like mostly early speculations that keep getting retro-feedback onto the next post. Can't wait for Birgir's cans to arrive but in the meantime, do we have impressions from owners at home already? (I guess mostly from Japan at this point).

Thanks. Exciting times...

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 191
Nevermind... Finally things started to get interesting from page 55 of the C32/SR009 thread...
Thanks for all the insightful posts, starting by the ones from kiertijai.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 191
Haha, imo 009s are the ones I would choose if only could have one but the Orpheus' musicality is great too.

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 191

Quote:
The orpheus is colored, and the omegas are dark. If I payed that much for a phone, I would want it to be be pin point accurate

Yup, actually imo, the O2s are outperformed by the LCD 2s

Sep 13, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 191
Bullocks, I've heard the LCD-2 with a very nice amp and it doesn't even come close, O2 are superior in about every technical sense. Yes, they were a little dark with the 717, with the KGSS though they have a ruller flat response to my ears, And i do love treble.

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 191
LCD2 doesn't come close to the SR007A with a decent amp.  Not sure what you were listening to.  Non-audiophile friends who've accompanied me to listening tests have agreed and consider it to be no contest.  The LCD2 is a fine headphone but it's definitely not comparable to a high-end electrostat.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 191
I'm an audio professional (composer, sound designer, songwriter) and I prefer the LCD-2 to the Stax 007mk2 (I own both). 007mk2 is a bit more colored of the two, while the LCD-2 is more full-bodied and natural sounding. Both are excellent and some of the best headphones ever made, but I trust the LCD-2 more for critical audio work. With the updated Rev.2 version of the LCD-2, this is likely even more true. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 191
I've been away from this hobby for a while and I have no experience with Orthos. I'm very intrigued by them. I might get a LCD-2 soon...

Funny thing is I was thinking about downsizing lately. This place is evil.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 191

Quote:
I'm an audio professional (composer, sound designer, songwriter) and I prefer the LCD-2 to the Stax 007mk2 (I own both). 007mk2 is a bit more colored of the two, while the LCD-2 is more full-bodied and natural sounding. Both are excellent and some of the best headphones ever made, but I trust the LCD-2 more for critical audio work. With the updated Rev.2 version of the LCD-2, this is likely even more true. 

I kind of rank them as SR-007 mk1>LCD-2>SR-007A (mkII). I'm not going to be able to compare the Orpheus or the Omega, but I think they are going to be just a different flavor of great. I don't think they will be similar at all to the sound of the LCD-2 (which I do really like BTW).

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 191
Lunatique, You should really seal those ports with some blue-tak, aka Port Mod. It will seriuosly help to in bringing your O2mk2 more accuracy in straightening the mids and a thighter bass response. THEN compare them the the LCD-2.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 191

Quote:
Lunatique, You should really seal those ports with some blue-tak, aka Port Mod. It will seriuosly help to in bringing your O2mk2 more accuracy in straightening the mids and a thighter bass response. THEN compare them the the LCD-2.

That's not where I find issues with the 007mk2 though. In my review of the 007mk2, I compared it extensively with the LCD-2, as well as other headphones I know well: http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-sr-007-mk2/reviews/3796

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 191

Quote:
Well regardless, if you strive for an accurate and flat sound leaving them with the ports open is missing the point IMO.

I use a custom EQ curve to make the 007mk2 more accurate/neutral. 

Also, I do my critical audio production work with my Klein + Hummel O 300D's. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 191
As posted in the thread of SR009,
   I have compared the SR009 vs HE90 vs SR Omega vs O2mkI , O2mkII
   I also have the LCD2 rev 1 and rev2.
   I would like to say that these are excellent headphones, however one may prefer
other than the rest and each have their unique presentation.   It may also depend on the
genre of music, songs or music played, mood of the listener etc.
    LCD rev1 and rev2 have unique mid which is natural, full bodied ,sweet sounding however
they need good amplifier to make them shine or the soundstage would be narrower and congested,
rolled off treble and delayed bass response.
    I myself still prefer the HE90 or SR Omega over the SR009 which is better than the O2mkI, O2mkII
because of their laidback nature, wider soundstage and slower pace.  However I think that other may
think SR009 is a better headphone because of its tranparency, clarity, imaging.   Other dynamic headphones
which are in same league are Sony MDR R10 (bass heavy, bass light), Qualia 010   etc.  However I have
no chance to compare them A/B for all headphones.  I have tried to compare the SR009 to the Qualia 010
and found that the Qualia may be better in term of soundstage, detail, resolution and more prominent bass
response  although the sweet sounding goes to the SR009.
    Previously we have a meeting (1st Thai Canjoin) that compared the HE90 and O2mkI with Woo Wes
and found that 70% of the listeners prefer the HE90's.  Chinsettawong has almost completed the DIY T2
project and we could have better info. comparing all the electrostatic headphones of interest soon by
the Thai head-fiers.  Those headphones include HE90, HE60, SR Omega, O2mkI , O2mkII and probably 507.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back