Squeezebox and Slimserver help needed
Oct 3, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #47 of 65
At this point, i've tried 2 routers, 1 wireless b and 1 wireless g. I've also piggybacked my neighbor's network. I don't know if i can rma the sb3. I got it in a trade and it has been modded by red wine audio. I've also tried to connect it to my girlfriend's computer and failed. Maybe i need to get another sb3? I dunno. I'm beyond frustrated.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #48 of 65
sorry to hear about your troubles. lan tried to hook up a wireless music bridge on my crap Dell a while ago and my desktop totally rejected that organ. i'm sticking with a hardwire solution until i get a new computer a few years down the line when the Dell finally kicks the bucket.

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #49 of 65
Will you find yourself in Southeastern NH any time soon? I'd be happy to try and set the SB3 up on my home network (that already supports one SB) to see if we can shed any light on why it's not working in your network.

I think you're SOL with a modded unit as far as returning it goes. No manufacturer is going to accept something that has been tinkered with by a non-authorized third party regardless of how good the work looks.

N

Oct 3, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #50 of 65
Hey Nate,

I might be able to arrange that some time. I'll pm in future. There's a mini-meet at my place this friday. I'm hoping someone there can help me resolve this
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #52 of 65
The problem is almost certainly with firewall settings on your laptop. The wired and wireless connections are distinct network interfaces and have separate firewall settings.

It's easy enough to confirm the firewall is the problem - install Softsqueeze on your girlfriend's laptop and try connecting from hers to Slimserver running on your laptop. It should not work either. Connecting to SlimServer from Softsqueeze on the PC doesn't prove anything, as connections internal to the PC won't go through the firewall in the first place.

The firewall is probably still on on the wireless interface (a sensible default, if you use hotspots). Don't disable the firewall, all you need to do is set an exception to allow access from the SB3 (it's easier and safer if you assign a static IP to the SB3).

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #54 of 65
Both my girlfriend and i have ibm t series laptops. We can't access sb3 thru wireless. BUT we both can run softsqueeze and operate it via ethernet cord. RsConqueror came over yesterday and he was able to connect to the sb3 via wireless. I have already included the exceptions in the firewall list. It can't be a brand issue. It just can't be. I am tempted to reformat my hard disk.
hmm...

Oct 8, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Both my girlfriend and i have ibm t series laptops. We can't access sb3 thru wireless. BUT we both can run softsqueeze and operate it via ethernet cord. RsConqueror came over yesterday and he was able to connect to the sb3 via wireless. I have already included the exceptions in the firewall list. It can't be a brand issue. It just can't be. I am tempted to reformat my hard disk.
hmm...

The only explanations I can think of given all of this information is that you're either connecting your laptop to the wrong wireless network (it happens), your windows firewall setting is preventing the connection (try turning off windows firewall completely), or something is very wrong with your slimserver install (try a stable build, not the beta builds). Hope this helps.

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ya8282
The only explanations I can think of given all of this information is that you're either connecting your laptop to the wrong wireless network (it happens), your windows firewall setting is preventing the connection (try turning off windows firewall completely), or something is very wrong with your slimserver install (try a stable build, not the beta builds). Hope this helps.

The thing is

1. It's the same network
2. I've totally disabled windows firewall
3. RsConqueror used the same slimserver verson as mine and he could connect

But i will give the older versions a shot.

Thanks for the tip
najib

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Both my girlfriend and i have ibm t series laptops.

I'm looking at my wife's T43. Just for laughs, double-click on the green bar-graph looking icon at bottom right, "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection." Brings up a "Wireless Connection Status" window that is not the default Windows wireless window. The "Modify WLAN Settings..." button brings up a window with a bunch of tabs including a Security tab. Anything checked there that might be causing your problem?

(No? ...I didn't really think so. But I just had to ask.)

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #58 of 65
I have had similar problems in the past.

Here is what I did to resolve it: Not sure which aspect works but I think it is number 3 and 7.

1)Disable all firewalls
2)Disable all security protections
3) RESET the Slimdevice to factor setting
4) Powerdown slimdevices, the computer and the wireless router
5)Power up the wireless and the computer
6)Reserve a block of address on the router to static.
7)Set the slimdevice to one of the static addresses
6)Reconfigure the wireless settings on the Slimdevice including setting up the security to (in my case) WPA.

Also, it pays to be patient. Pressing buttons fast seems to confuse the slimdevice and it kind of 'freezes'.

I am pretty sure you have tried it all but if not, it pays to do it systematically.

PS: I am using a IBM laptop too! (X41)

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #59 of 65
At first i thought it was your router also untill i read on and seen that you have tried others.Have you updated the firmware on that router?

Also as a last ditch effort if you feel like trying is to hook up the SB3 to a wireless bridge by ethernet and have that wireless bridge connect to the router.That is how i have mine since the SB3 is not strong enough to receive the signal from my network.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #60 of 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back