Squeezebox and Slimserver help needed
Sep 30, 2006 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

nabwong

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got a squeezebox 3. I've set it up with my wireless network. It plays streaming internet radio perfectly. However, it can't connect to slimserver. The IP is detected automatically and they match. The firewall exceptions are done. Firmware is 60 and slimserver version is 6.5.

This is quite frustrating cos it's friday night and i can't call customer service. What am i not doing right? Can someone help me please?

Najib

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 65
Installed softsqueeze 3 on my laptop and works flawless. More info on the sq3. It tries to connect to the slimserver "connecting to slimserver" and then it suddenly goes blank. Then i press "right arrow" on the remote and it repeats the cycle.

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
thanks, i'm having some problems posting there cos i'm still waiting for my confirmation email. Don't know what's taking em so long.

I do believe only after your confirmation e-mail, then will you be able to use the slimserver. E-mail them that you haven't recieved your confirmation!!! I also ran into this problem, and that resolved it for me .

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
I do believe only after your confirmation e-mail, then will you be able to use the slimserver. E-mail them that you haven't recieved your confirmation!!! I also ran into this problem, and that resolved it for me .

Thanks, i already did that
smily_headphones1.gif

ARGHHHHHHHH THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 65
This is obviously something to do with your wireless setup on your PC.

Have you tried connecting the SQ3 via an ethernet cable just to see if it can connect that way?

Sep 30, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 65
This could be a dumb question, but are you 100% sure the Squeezebox is getting streaming Internet radio through your Internet connection and not through some neighbor's unencrypted wireless connection that it found first?

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
This could be a dumb question, but are you 100% sure the Squeezebox is getting streaming Internet radio through your Internet connection and not through some neighbor's unencrypted wireless connection that it found first?

My wireless is labelled "cambridge" and the squeezebox says it's connected to "cambridge". So i guess it's the right one. I'll try the ethernet cord option later. Thanks for the help so far. I really appreciate it.

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 65
Obtain the SB's IP address from Settings->Information->Player Information, then on your computer's command line* type ping ipaddress, for example ping 192.168.1.129

You should get back something like:
Reply from 192.168.1.129: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
if the ping is successful, and
Request timed out.
if it is not.

*Start->Accessories->Command Prompt in Windows, Applications->Utilities->Terminal in OS X.

Sep 30, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 65
Yes, that's what you want. If you got that result pinging the SB from the SlimServer computer, it means TCP/IP packets are successfully getting from one device to the other. That's a good first step.

Since the SlimServer works and is not firewalled (verified by your using SoftSqueeze successfully from another computer), and the SB3 is on the network (and on the right network) (verified by ping), all the right pieces seem to be in place. It Should Work.

Hmm.

Have you tried connecting directly via Ethernet yet? If that works, then use that connection to update your player's firmware, and try wireless again.

(I used to know how to force a firmware update if it doesn't happen automatically, but I've forgotten the procedure. This one I found on the SlimDevices forum might work.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back