Squeezebox and Slimserver help needed
Sep 30, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
Yes, that's what you want. If you got that result pinging the SB from the SlimServer computer, it means TCP/IP packets are successfully getting from one device to the other. That's a good first step.

Since the SlimServer works and is not firewalled (verified by your using SoftSqueeze successfully from another computer), and the SB3 is on the network (and on the right network) (verified by ping), all the right pieces seem to be in place. It Should Work.

Hmm.

Have you tried connecting directly via Ethernet yet? If that works, then use that connection to update your player's firmware, and try wireless again.

(I used to know how to force a firmware update if it doesn't happen automatically, but I've forgotten the procedure. This one I found on the SlimDevices forum might work.)

All done unfortunately. I'm doing funny experimental things now like assigning everything static etc. Still no cigar. I really appreciate the help. Thanks. For all you know, it's something small and trivial i didn't do. LOL.

Sep 30, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 65
Thanks a lot. Looks like this is gonna be a loooooooooong weekend. I'll try calling slimdevices on monday. Don't stop dropping ideas
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #19 of 65
I am no slimserver guru but here goes.

Use the browser interface on your slimserver software to see whether you can detect your SB3. If so, you can get the SB playing your music files by controlling it from the computer. If you can't see it, try restarting the router and if necessary, the modem.

Good luck.

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 65
Najib,

Just because your computer can see the SB3 doesn't mean that the SB3 can see the computer, if you know what I mean. I would check again and make sure that your firewall is setup properly for both outgoing and incoming connections. Heck, disable the darn thing and see if that fixes it. Not sure why this would only affect Slimsever and not the Internet Radio function but it's something to try.

Also, have you checked the player setttings options in the Slimserver software? It might point you towards issues.

Bset of luck,

Nate

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #21 of 65
Thanks Jeff, Nate.

Jeff, I've done those things many times with no luck.

Nate, your idea about the slimserver software was something which i haven't tried before. So i turned off the firewall and set a huge range of ips. Didn't work either. Maybe i've a firewall which i'm not aware of.

Maybe i should do the old whack-the-bugger-real-hard trick.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Najib,

Just because your computer can see the SB3 doesn't mean that the SB3 can see the computer, if you know what I mean. I would check again and make sure that your firewall is setup properly for both outgoing and incoming connections. Heck, disable the darn thing and see if that fixes it. Not sure why this would only affect Slimsever and not the Internet Radio function but it's something to try.

Also, have you checked the player setttings options in the Slimserver software? It might point you towards issues.

Bset of luck,

Nate

hey Nate,

the SB3 can play Internet radio even if the computer is turned off, it connects to Squeezenetwork.

That may or may not be what's happening here, but the fact that Internet radio works doesn't necessarily prove much one way or the other.

nabwong, just to clarify (I'm sure you're tired of answering the same questions over and over, sorry
smily_headphones1.gif
), did it work when you connected via ethernet cable?

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #23 of 65
I'll recap.

1. Squeezenetwork - Ok
2. Ethernet - Ok
3. Softsqueeze - Ok

Things i've tried

1. Reboot router, laptop and sq3
2. Program xilinx
3. Update firmware 64
4. Latest slimserver 6.5
5. Disabled firewall
6. Static Ip
7. Slimserver setting - opened a range of Ip
8. Ping sq3 and it's fine
9. Sq3 is connected to MY wifi network

Oct 1, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #25 of 65
I've looked through the router's setup and i don't see anything that is other than default. No Mac altercations, no port blocking. I can see the sq3 connected on 192.168.0.3 ( labelled as 9 ) and my laptop on 192.168.0.4 ( labelled as najibwong ).

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #26 of 65
You might try assigning the SB3 a specific IP address that's much farther away from your normal range, try something like 192.168.0.50 to make sure that you're aren't getting an IP conflict with another device. I've had that happen before with other devices and I don't think you'll get any sort of error message, just no joy.

HTH,

Nate

P.s. What happens when you try to play something through Slimserver? Are you able to control the SB3 that way?

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I'll recap.

1. Squeezenetwork - Ok
2. Ethernet - Ok
3. Softsqueeze - Ok

Things i've tried

1. Reboot router, laptop and sq3
2. Program xilinx
3. Update firmware 64
4. Latest slimserver 6.5
5. Disabled firewall
6. Static Ip
7. Slimserver setting - opened a range of Ip
8. Ping sq3 and it's fine
9. Sq3 is connected to MY wifi network

Wow, weird.

Have you been able to post at the Slimdevices forum yet?

It seems to me like it's gonna end up being something simple and silly. We're all gonna collectively smack our foreheads!

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
You might try assigning the SB3 a specific IP address that's much farther away from your normal range, try something like 192.168.0.50 to make sure that you're aren't getting an IP conflict with another device. I've had that happen before with other devices and I don't think you'll get any sort of error message, just no joy.

HTH,

Nate

P.s. What happens when you try to play something through Slimserver? Are you able to control the SB3 that way?

I can't control sb3 via wireless at any time. I'll try to set a bigger # ip for the sb3 later tonight. I'm at work now.
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Wow, weird.

Have you been able to post at the Slimdevices forum yet?

It seems to me like it's gonna end up being something simple and silly. We're all gonna collectively smack our foreheads!

I'm posting at slimdevices now (finally, just got the confirmation email). Ya, i feel like after this has been resolved, i'll kick my own butt.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
I do believe only after your confirmation e-mail, then will you be able to use the slimserver. E-mail them that you haven't recieved your confirmation!!! I also ran into this problem, and that resolved it for me .

You NEEDED your confirmation for them to acknowledge your account from their end! I had the same problem initialy, as i said, resolved after the lag in their sending the e-mail confirmation. Took them 2 days for the confirmation e-mail to be sent and that was only after posting to their forums, where I found others having had the same problem. I still can't figure out why you were not able to post and or read their forums to ask or read of others experiences on this very problem. Thats where I posted and resolved their confirmation e-mail being finally sent to me in order for my being able to use slimserver.

Oh well, glad the drama all worked out in the end.
tongue.gif

Please allow my good natured chuckle, 'cause nearly the same thing happened to me due to their 2 day lag time e-mail confirmation.

Best Regards-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back