Spotted in the wild: A WOODEN portable amplifier from Palaios.
Nov 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #16 of 50
  A sneak peak at a few images I shot for my upcoming review of this product.

One screw nut is missing
redface.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 50
More photos of the rosewood(?) and walnut(?) variations.

Worth noting: Differences in the colouring of the wood, volume knob, and power LED.

I wonder if the power LED is an indication of battery level..?

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 50
  More photos of the rosewood(?) and walnut(?) variations.

Worth noting: Differences in the colouring of the wood, volume knob, and power LED.

I wonder if the power LED is an indication of battery level..?

The tour unit has a white led to indicate it is not normal selling units! ( while the right one is a normal sample(?) )
As for battery level you will hear some distortion when it is out of juice
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #21 of 50
Tried it today and I actually really like it; going to pick one up soon. The bass was well defined and had good body to it, the midrange was a bit forward and aggressive and the treble was rather neutral. Separation was good as was soundstage. I would put it roughly on par with the T1 and C5.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #22 of 50
i know,On the Palaios the midrange is the focus with bass and treble sounding more neutral in presentation. Conversely I prefer the QS with the ER-4S to the Palaios. It has better low level detail retrieval, better dynamics and a more robust bottom end for the Ety. All in all it is very nice sounding amp. thanks
hDDnd7

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 50
Got the palaios amp yesterday from Charles and I must say that I am rather impressed.

Let's get the negatives over and done with - the soundstage isn't huge, vut it is pretty good. The palaios amp will just come by itself and not anything else except for a manual, but I suppose this is to cut costs so it is cheaper for the buyers.

Anyway, the bass is a tiny bit heavy and very beefy and solid. There is no bloat and is quite fast, faster than the T1. The detail is very impressive as well.

The midrange is where the magic happens, and it is absolutely wonderful. It is pushed just a tiny bit forward with that sweet, aggressive sound signature which makes it a pleasure to listen to. Vocals have great clarity and the separation is also top notch.

The treble takes a bit if a back seat and does not have any peaks or dips. It doesn't sound rolled off, but it does sound a tiny bit subdued compared to the visceral bass and the aggressive midrange.

Imaging and transparency are good as well, the only thing I'm not so sure is the soundstage which isn't particularly wide.

Even though the T1 is technically superior, I order the palaios vecause it does not have as heavy bass and the midrange is is simply irresistible for me.

I do hope that Charles will consider making a metal enclosure and improving the soundstage in his next amp, but this is really $200 of goodness. Oh, and another suggestion is make the volume knib a bit tighter so it is harder to accidentally turn it like I did quite a few times.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 50
Got the palaios amp yesterday from Charles and I must say that I am rather impressed.

Let's get the negatives over and done with - the soundstage isn't huge, vut it is pretty good. The palaios amp will just come by itself and not anything else except for a manual, but I suppose this is to cut costs so it is cheaper for the buyers.

Anyway, the bass is a tiny bit heavy and very beefy and solid. There is no bloat and is quite fast, faster than the T1. The detail is very impressive as well.

The midrange is where the magic happens, and it is absolutely wonderful. It is pushed just a tiny bit forward with that sweet, aggressive sound signature which makes it a pleasure to listen to. Vocals have great clarity and the separation is also top notch.

The treble takes a bit if a back seat and does not have any peaks or dips. It doesn't sound rolled off, but it does sound a tiny bit subdued compared to the visceral bass and the aggressive midrange.

Imaging and transparency are good as well, the only thing I'm not so sure is the soundstage which isn't particularly wide.

Even though the T1 is technically superior, I order the palaios vecause it does not have as heavy bass and the midrange is is simply irresistible for me.

I do hope that Charles will consider making a metal enclosure and improving the soundstage in his next amp, but this is really $200 of goodness. Oh, and another suggestion is make the volume knib a bit tighter so it is harder to accidentally turn it like I did quite a few times.

may try to get a o-ring (plastic ring) and place it under the knob 
wink.gif
 And thanks for your comments 
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #28 of 50
I actually like this amp with the JH13 more so than the Meier Quickstep.  With the QS, the JH13 has too much bass emphasis and the 10k treble peak is more prominent. On the Palaios the midrange is the focus with bass and treble sounding more neutral in presentation.  Conversely I prefer the QS with the ER-4S to the Palaios.  It has better low level detail retrieval, better dynamics and a more robust bottom end for the Ety.  All in all it is very nice sounding amp.
vrt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back