Spotted in the wild: A WOODEN portable amplifier from Palaios.
Dec 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 50
Thanks! There's a giveaway happening if anyone is interested.

These really should get more noticed and mentioned Iver here. They sound awesome!

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #33 of 50
Maybe PM Charles over here or go to their Facebook page. Just search SQD Tech.

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #34 of 50
Maybe PM Charles over here or go to their Facebook page. Just search SQD Tech.

Renamed as Palaios Lab 
beerchug.gif

and yes there is a giveaway when you like and share the page.... a random guy will get a free Iona amp
wink_face.gif

~Merry Christmas~

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #35 of 50

I had the opportunity of receiving the Palaios Wooden Amp as part of a tour.  Since I had several other amps I decided to take the opportunity to compare the amps I had on hand. Here are my impressions.

Palaios Wooden Amp vs.  C&C BH vs. Leckerton Audio UHA-6S vs. Fiio E11 vs. internal amp in the DX50

Source DX50 with various songs though line output.  Earphones DUNU DN-1000 and the Fischer Amps Fa 4e xb,

With the comparisons,  the Leckerton UHA-6S is the clear winner and the most expensive of the indivual amps I compared, but the internal amp of the DX50 is so close that I can’t see using the Leckerton with it on the go.  Of the other amps that were cheaper, the  C&C has better detail and resolution then the Palaios.  The Palaios is better than the Fiio E11 in detail and resolution.  Bass impact was better on the C&C, than followed by the Palaios and finally the Fiio.

Still, something felt wrong, I felt as if I was missing something with this little amp. So I changed the source, this time to the  Cowon Z2, surprisingly, the Palaois started to show off a smart mastery of mids that was equal to the C&C and certainly better than the Fiio. Still detail was behind the C&C , and I thought separation on the C&C was better as well.
My final ranking, would be Leckerton, internal Amp on the DX50, C&C BH, Palaios Wooden Amp, and finally the Fiio E11.

The Palaios Wooden Amp gave a nice presentation with Mids, bass was underwhelming at times and not as resolving as other sources.  Highs seemed a bit rolled off.

What I liked about the Palaios? As stated above, Mids were done really nice, especially when coming through the Cowon, also the wooden appearance was rather neat.

Thanks for letting me participate in the tour of this interesting little  amp.  It should be on its way to the next member of the tour tomorrow.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #36 of 50

I had the opportunity of receiving the Palaios Wooden Amp as part of a tour.  Since I had several other amps I decided to take the opportunity to compare the amps I had on hand. Here are my impressions.

Palaios Wooden Amp vs.  C&C BH vs. Leckerton Audio UHA-6S vs. Fiio E11 vs. internal amp in the DX50

Source DX50 with various songs though line output.  Earphones DUNU DN-1000 and the Fischer Amps Fa 4e xb,

With the comparisons,  the Leckerton UHA-6S is the clear winner and the most expensive of the indivual amps I compared, but the internal amp of the DX50 is so close that I can’t see using the Leckerton with it on the go.  Of the other amps that were cheaper, the  C&C has better detail and resolution then the Palaios.  The Palaios is better than the Fiio E11 in detail and resolution.  Bass impact was better on the C&C, than followed by the Palaios and finally the Fiio.

Still, something felt wrong, I felt as if I was missing something with this little amp. So I changed the source, this time to the  Cowon Z2, surprisingly, the Palaois started to show off a smart mastery of mids that was equal to the C&C and certainly better than the Fiio. Still detail was behind the C&C , and I thought separation on the C&C was better as well.
My final ranking, would be Leckerton, internal Amp on the DX50, C&C BH, Palaios Wooden Amp, and finally the Fiio E11.

The Palaios Wooden Amp gave a nice presentation with Mids, bass was underwhelming at times and not as resolving as other sources.  Highs seemed a bit rolled off.

What I liked about the Palaios? As stated above, Mids were done really nice, especially when coming through the Cowon, also the wooden appearance was rather neat.

Thanks for letting me participate in the tour of this interesting little  amp.  It should be on its way to the next member of the tour tomorrow.

Thanks for the impressions!
wink.gif

Ummmm the Iona (Palaios) amp may not match well with twfks actually....
should the next one who gets it, test it with headphones/ sth like er4b/s 
biggrin.gif

It is designed for a relatively larger load from the beginning

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #37 of 50
=) found the thread.

Billy has included a Palaios amp with the AX60 demo. Also peeked at the circuit and similar comments re size and 9v battery. I'm not sure if making it slimmer and to use a 4v li-ion one is possible but imo would be more convenient.

Like anakchan - I suspect driving it with stronger DAPs will make it clip (e.g. D2+ at max volume). Didn't clip with sansa clip zip

It measures well, and sounds overall neutral to me. The low output impedance is a must and a win for the amp. I'd be interested to see how it does with higher impedance load for the measurements
and find out more what the load and power output were for the one shown on their site (it might be there I'm just not seeing it). (among other things to see how well it handles higher impedance,lower spl headphones)

The production versions (laquerred) look pretty as well and it looks like the door battery holds better.

I'm not much of an AMP person, but if I did have a DAP I liked because of its features but that had impedance problems, or wanted to drive larger headphones I'd probably consider getting one of these amps.

It sound good with my GMP450 pro (300 ohm) and for most song the volume dial is < 1/2. (driven off a clip+ at full volume). I don't hear any odd changes to the sound of GMP450 so that's great as well.
I think they could use a different knob and in/out sockets (aethetics wise)

Personally I prefer Li-Ion + charger port, not 9v batteries and battery door. That said the amp opens and the battery slides out easily enough (on some amps you have to fiddle with it a lot and nearly snap the power wires off the amp before you can change it and need to carry screwdrivers or pliers

Price wise, I'm not too sure...but it is a bit of a nieche product looks wise so it may well be worth it to many.

=) here is a pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back