Spotify good enough for Hd 518?
Jul 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tojamm

New Head-Fier
Hi, i am wondering if the soundquality of spotify is good enough for my Sennheiser hd 518 headphones? I also have Sennheiser hd 239. Which one of those is most suitable for itunes 256kbps aac files and spotify?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 6
I listen to Spotify with HE-500s and HD650s. They aren't intolerable, but I do buy the CDs of stuff I really like.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Interesting. I've read on certain reviews that the Sennheiser hd 518 requires at least flac format or better, but if the lossy file is transparent there wouldn't be a listenable difference?

I don't think i can hear weaknesses in the soundquality of spotify 320kbps ogg vorbis files or Itunes 256kbps aac files using sennheiser hd 518 I just can't get it out of my mind.

I'm at loss here.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 6
There's a difference between lossless and Spotify, it's simply not enough to ruin the experience for me. With the HD650, the sound is laidback and smooth. The instrument separation with the HE-500 is quite mesmerizing.

If its something that really connects, I buy the CD because it gets rid of the thin, somewhat jagged imperfection of the Spotify stream.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
There's a difference between lossless and Spotify, it's simply not enough to ruin the experience for me. With the HD650, the sound is laidback and smooth. The instrument separation with the HE-500 is quite mesmerizing.
If its something that really connects, I buy the CD because it gets rid of the thin, somewhat jagged imperfection of the Spotify stream.

Interesting, so the streaming process does something distinguishable to the sound? So if you would compare a 320kbps mp3 file to a streamed spotify 320kbps file would the non-streamed mp3 file technically sound better?

And if it does not ruin the experience for you i would draw the conclusion that the Hd 518 which is an inferior headphone i suppose would not ruin the experience for me.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Interesting, so the streaming process does something distinguishable to the sound? So if you would compare a 320kbps mp3 file to a streamed spotify 320kbps file would the non-streamed mp3 file technically sound better?

And if it does not ruin the experience for you i would draw the conclusion that the Hd 518 which is an inferior headphone i suppose would not ruin the experience for me.

I can't tell the difference between 320kbps and lossless, but it could be that my chain is not yet resolving enough to show it. The problem is that not all Spotify streams are 320kbps even when you have that as your setting. Only some artists and albums are that quality and as far as I can tell there is no way to tell besides just listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back