Sports IEM suggestions (Running/Fitness/Cycling)
Feb 20, 2019 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Spie1904

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

For my daily listening needs, I use my Astell & Kern SP1000M & Custom made Westone ES30 mostly.

However for running / cycling / fitness, I don't want to use my custom Westone's and nor am I planning on taking my SP1000M along.

For my sports needs, I'm looking for a quality pair of wireless earphones / earbuds or even Trekz (not a full blown headphone though) to hook up to my Galaxy Watch or Galaxy phone. Might potentially invest in a Shanling M0 DAP to take along but for now it will be my phone so audio quality isn't the absolute biggest priority.

As I have very tiny ears (for example: Can't fit Campfire Andromeda properly), I'm looking for something extremely comfortable that I can use for:

• Fitness

• Running

• Cycling
As the goal is to eventually participate in a marathon (not the type of race where IEM's are forbidden and you can only use bone conduction ones for safety purpose though) and I'd possibly use it while cycling, I'd appreciate decent battery times (more than 1 to 2 hours as cycling often takes longer than 2 hours).

Some of the options I was considering are:
(Should note at this point I haven't decided yet for truly wireless vs neckband. Both seem viable options and I'd probably go with what sits the most comfortable and just works in the most seamless way while working out)
  • Jaybird Tarah Pro

• Aftershokz Trekz Air (Not sure about the Bone Conduction Technology - Read it's more suited to podcasts and audiobooks than music listening while running)

• Jaybird X4 (Why pick these over Tarah Pro other than price?)

• Jaybird Run XT (Seems a rather large shell - might be uncomfortable)

• Jabra Elite 65T Active (Seems a rather large shell - might be uncomfortable)

• Senheisser CX Sport (Seem underrated but not sure how they stack up to Jaybird)

• Shure SE 215 with BTR cable (Just a suggestion I found online by some gym users)

• Bose Soundsport (Seems a rather large shell - might be uncomfortable)

• V-Moda Forza Metallo Wireless (Limited experience with the brand)
If anyone has any experiences or recommendations for an all round sport headphone, feel free to share :) Frequency wise I'd be using these probably 4-6 days / week.

Budget is around 300 euro max (I think more than that is probably not required to get a good 'sports' headphone. I won't hear every detail the way I can with my Westone ES30 or headphones at home but that's not the point of this purchase. Here I need a great companion for my workouts that is comfortable enough to forget about it.

If I could get something that I can take along to work to do my conference calls with (mic), that would be an added bonus (certainly not a requirement)

Thanks in advance

Spie

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 18
I have no idea if these are available in the EU or not, but I've recommended several times the Plantronics Backbeat Fit. Around $60 at Costco here. I have destroyed a variety of headphones from sweat, but these have been reliable for at least 2 years now. They are a behind-the-neck style with Bluetooth, and are buds instead of in-ear. I run outdoors, so it's really important to me to be able to hear around me. I also cycle, and I wouldn't even think about any kind of headphones out on the road, it's even more important to be able to hear a car approaching behind you or faster riders, etc. I also find them to sound better than all the other running headphones I ruined. Nice and smooth, nothing exaggerated, and even a little bit of bass comes through. If you run on a treadmill and cycle on a trainer, then yeah, you could do better with an in-ear.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 18
I have no idea if these are available in the EU or not, but I've recommended several times the Plantronics Backbeat Fit. Around $60 at Costco here. I have destroyed a variety of headphones from sweat, but these have been reliable for at least 2 years now. They are a behind-the-neck style with Bluetooth, and are buds instead of in-ear. I run outdoors, so it's really important to me to be able to hear around me. I also cycle, and I wouldn't even think about any kind of headphones out on the road, it's even more important to be able to hear a car approaching behind you or faster riders, etc. I also find them to sound better than all the other running headphones I ruined. Nice and smooth, nothing exaggerated, and even a little bit of bass comes through. If you run on a treadmill and cycle on a trainer, then yeah, you could do better with an in-ear.

Thank you for the kind suggestion.
I'll check to see if I can find these somewhere around.
I'm mostly afraid of how they will get along with my ears as they seem kind of earbud style.

Other option I've been considering are the Aftershokz Trekz Air although the sound is terrible according to some people.
Then again when working out I don't demand the absolute best sound quality as long as comfort is fine while running, cycling or working out at the gym :)

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 18
One of the things ive noticed with a lot of the "True Wireless" sets is that battery life is pretty bad. I often cycle for 2+ hrs and I havent yet found a set that can reliably last more than about 2:15 on a single charge. :frowning2:

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 18
@Spie1904 Did you found your pair of IEMs? I'm also looking for a pair of IEMs to use in the gym. Right now I'm using my Westone UM PRO50's, but I know it isn't the right thing to do (lol).
I use the Final E4000, which I think are excellent. I pair them with the Shanling M0 DAP to make for a great training setup. I go into more detail in my “boot camp” review here. Perhaps an interesting option to consider.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 18
I think wearing iems when cycling is illegal in France, because they stop riders hearing the surrounding traffic.
Always difficult to enforce, so some riders do wear them, but there will always be riders who seem to have a death wish.

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 18
I think wearing iems when cycling is illegal in France, because they stop riders hearing the surrounding traffic.
Always difficult to enforce, so some riders do wear them, but there will always be riders who seem to have a death wish.

Agree and I should note when cycling I almost never use them because of safety reasons. An option worth considering for this use is Aftershokz but don't expect hi-fi audio quality.

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 18
I ended up with Jaybird Tarah pros and while I don't think they are on the same level of final audio, they are excellent for the use purpose.

Are you still happy with it? Is the build quality good enough? Comfortable?

I am looking for wired bluetooth earphones for running (indoor and outdoor), I was thinking to get the jaybird X4. I can get them for 100chf, the tarah pro are 165. Same as you said, comfort is most important. I don't like to hear the sound of cable jumping. I don't want to spend too much on these but I am also a bit afraid of the quality of the really cheap ones.

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 18
Are you still happy with it? Is the build quality good enough? Comfortable?

I am looking for wired bluetooth earphones for running (indoor and outdoor), I was thinking to get the jaybird X4. I can get them for 100chf, the tarah pro are 165. Same as you said, comfort is most important. I don't like to hear the sound of cable jumping. I don't want to spend too much on these but I am also a bit afraid of the quality of the really cheap ones.

I still use them.
In terms of comfort, they are ok.
I mean they are not as comfortable as the ones I wear at my desk but they are for running so I think they need to be stable and I'm ok with it.
Build quality wise no issues so far but people need to read the manual.
Charge these using your PC USB and not a fast charger like Samsung cause it will just fry the battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back