SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP
Nov 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #16 of 311
  Straight from their website: http://spl.info/home/blog/article/seine-exzellenz-phonitor-der-2.html

Some interesting things in there, namely the amp being 'optimally suited for low-impedence headphones' and support for 'dynamic, balanced, and electrostatic headphones.' Whaaaaaaat.

Edit: On Facebook SPL is saying that the output impedance is 0.18 ohms. 

I've tried searching for them on Facebook and can't find them. Are they using a different name than SPL? 

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #17 of 311
  I've tried searching for them on Facebook and can't find them. Are they using a different name than SPL? 

Nope, as far as I can tell it's just SPL. Does this link work: https://www.facebook.com/spl.info

Edit: Nomax, where did you see that it says they'll be available in a couple of weeks?

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 311
Edit: Nomax, where did you see that it says they'll be available in a couple of weeks?

If things go well then it's probable I guess - http://www.thomann.de/gb/spl_phonitor_2.htm   . I'm slightly interested myself, but I won't be one of the first guys to take one for the team.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 311
Thanks for the confirmation Paul. And hey, I'll take one for the team... if someone buys my Phonitor. :p

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #22 of 311
popcorn.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 311
This looks like an interesting piece, but I'm very unsure about the balanced output....

Paul, could you perhaps please clarify the following:

1. For dynamic, balanced and electrostatic headphones

How exactly does this drive balanced headphones?  I realize it has balanced outputs on the back (albeit male connections, not the typical female ones that most headphone amps use for outputs).  Basically, what I am asking is, are the rear balanced outputs run through the amp and crossfeed circuitry versus the original Phonitor where it was only through the crossfeed circuitry?

I see no electrostat outputs...   In addition, the circuitry for eletrostats vs dynamic is different - is this just a typo (eg, were orthodynamics meant)?  Or, is this amp capable of driving stats with something like a WEE?  And if that is the case, would this not then capable of driving sensitive speakers?  And if THAT'S the case, and the balanced outs are essentially the same as the singled ended output on the front (in the context of it being amped) wouldn't that be far too powerful to pipe into another piece of gear as this has the potential to be in series with other gear?

The idea if the Phonitor 2 learning my remote for volume control is pretty interesting.  Clever implementation with the button on the rear.

One thing I did not see listed was the size of the unit - do you have this information?

Thank you very much!

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #24 of 311
Here's the response I received on driving electrostatic headphones, if this helps:

'Please note that standard P2 output level can be boosted in two steps by +6 and +12 dB. You can drive all electrostatic headphones directly if they do not need more than ca. 1 Watt (which is a lot for usual headphone amps). We tried e. g. an old AKG 340. If you have a model with higher power requirements you can connect the power amp to the line outs of the P2 - and benefit from the speaker simulation features of the P2.'

Of course, aren't the 340s sort of a special case? The last sentence of the above reply does make it seem to me that you'd be be using something like a WEE in conjunction with the Phonitor 2 in order to drive stats.

Edit: I'm curious about how the Phonitor 2 would play with planar magnetics. I heard mixed things regarding the original Phonitor with orthos, and have been thinking about giving orthos a shot recently, which would have necessitated me (potentially) either replacing the Phonitor or supplementing it with another amp.

Edit 2: Further clarification straight from SPL, this time from the gearslutz message board: 'And a note on electrostatic HP: you can connect their amps to the rear line outs (and use P2 speaker simulation features), but there's no direct output for electrostatic HPs.'

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 311
So You will see the First AMPS will be ready next WEEK! THIS AMP is the best Partner FOR the AKG 812! Regards nomax

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #26 of 311
Dunno about any changes on this one compared to original. But I do recall that one having a somewhat high output impedance (10 ohms or so) which made it less than ideal for most low impedance headphones. Plus it seemed to work better at higher impedance in terms of power delivery. At 32 ohms it was modestly powerful but nothing special. At 300 or 600 ohms it was among the most powerful amps available. Maybe that's why people tended to pair it with beyer headphones a lot.

Good looks for sure. Hopefully the output impedance is lower this time around Similar to Little Dot amps or Creek's. Actually to me it's optimal for any headphone over say 60 ohms. I use 600 ohm headphones myself.

It's 22 ohm really and it would not work well with 600 ohm headphones if it gave <5ohm on output like most DIY type "audiophile" amps.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #28 of 311
I'm confused. You quoted me twice but one of them is not the words I actually said.

I don't know not gonna trace it now. I just bought Phonitor1 yesterday and now got to know about the new one coming out, a bit unfortunate, although I have only high impedance headphones so maybe I did the right thing. I see SPL site gives 9 ohm as output impedance for PHONITOR1.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #30 of 311
I don't know not gonna trace it now. I just bought Phonitor1 yesterday and now got to know about the new one coming out, a bit unfortunate, although I have only high impedance headphones so maybe I did the right thing. I see SPL site gives 9 ohm as output impedance for PHONITOR1.

Ok then. Anyway, I've seen various output impedance specs listed ranging from about 10 ohms to 30 ohms or so. Not sure what the real spec is.

What about Auditor 2? is that also in the pipeline?

It seems probable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back