SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP
Dec 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #32 of 311
  Phonitor 2' specifications: http://spl.info/en/products/headphone-amps/phonitor2/specifications.html

Power Amplifier
Max. Output Power:
65m W (+20 dBm) at 1 kHz and 600 Ω connected impedance
560 mW (+20 dBm) at 1 kHz and 40 Ω connected impedance

only 65mw@600 and 560mw@40 ohm?

65mW for a 600 ohm headphone is not necessarily a problem. High impedance models are far more concerned with voltage swing than current. The 560mW into 40 ohms is a reasonably high number, though not as high as some others on the market. Do you need more than that? Some would say yes, others, no. Depends on you headphone for sure.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #35 of 311
Wow, I was wondering what I would do if this ever happened. I wonder if they would to a trade in with my P1. I might contact them and ask.

I was going to sell my Phonitor a while ago, pretty glad I didn't.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #38 of 311
Maybe balanced outs (pre-outs) on back panel works as balanced headpnones' outputs ? hmm

The pictures on SPL's website indicate that one set of the XLR outputs on the back can be used as a balanced headphone output. It notes, however, that you might need to get a gender adapter to make it work. Inconvenient to be on the back. But better than nothing.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #40 of 311
I liked the Auditor quite a bit, so I'm sorely tempted to get one of these. Because it's also a pre-amp it ticks enough feature boxes that I can start rationalizing getting one.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #42 of 311
I read the manual and that's what it sounds like! Stereo amps with analogue volume controls also do remote control this way.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #43 of 311
At 32 ohms it was modestly powerful but nothing special. At 300 or 600 ohms it was among the most powerful amps available. Maybe that's why people tended to pair it with beyer headphones a lot.
DlK22p

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #44 of 311
Hi
Slight diversion maybe from the topic but want to use it as the most alive thread about Phonitor.
I just bought Phonitor, slightly unfortunate timing due to the new version coming soon.
I wonder if someone compared it to SPL 2Control. I consider downgrading. I use it for casual listening, I am a fan of crossfeed in all my rigs for headphones. To my ears decreasing angle does the same as increasing crossfeed, also strangely reducing center acts the same way to me, so having crossfeed at max with angle at minimum and with maximum center reduction I achieve something very close to mono sound. Typically for listening on Phonitor I use crossfeed at 2 or 3, speaker angle at 30 degrees, center at -0.3 or -0.6 or  keep it off. I wonder if I would achieve similar sound with 2Control. I use Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm mostly.
Thanks
Andy

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #45 of 311
I looked up the manual for the 2Control in order to learn just how it works in comparison to the Crossfeed functions on the Phonitor. On the 2Control the Speaker Angle and Center Channel settings are fixed at 30 degrees (and whatever Center Channel level corresponds to work best with that), while the Crossfeed knob works the same as on the Phonitor. So it's a simplified version, but as they state several times in the 2Control manual, it's based on the work they did on the Phonitor. If you want to read exactly how they describe it, it's on Page 18 of the 2Control manual available on the SPL website here. The link is on the right sidebar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back