Spiders:I hate them!!!!
Apr 30, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #46 of 91
About a year ago, I was cleaning my room and decided to dust under my alarm clock on the nightstand by my bed. I'd had that clock for awhile, and had lost the battery compartment at some point...when I picked up the clock and looked at the compartment, I found that a spider had laid a sack of eggs that must have hatched, as it was now filled with what looked like dozens (a hundred?) dead baby spiders!!!!! They were only about a millimeter or two across, but that was all right by my bed!!!! I don't know what I would've done if they'd all gotten out and managed to make a pilgrimmage...yikes...still makes me shudder...

Serves me right for cleaning my room
frown.gif

-Doug-

Apr 30, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #47 of 91
In my garage, there are a bunch of Daddy Long Leg spiders that build webs on the inside crease of the back patio door. I let 'em stay for fly control.

Those things are ruthless. They build webs over the back window of the door, the flies head for the door window and land right in the webs.

Next thing you know, they're hanging cocoon style, waiting for the spider to have his next meal.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #48 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz
Then you find a brown recluse hiding in your laundry... the hard way!
blink.gif

Unlikely, they don't live around here. So that might explain my bravery
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #49 of 91
repelling ALL the insects? Spiders are sometimes coming in for warmth, or thinking they'll find insects. Also seems they look for moisture.

I went on vacation and came home to about 30 spiders in the shower What?
confused.gif

Everyone around here uses floodlamps on their houses, which attract all manner of flying buggies... my neighborhood has many trees which overhang the houses, and a large creek... all things which attract spiders.

As for the brown recluse, who says they'll "stay put". I don't think it'll be long before they make their way through the states. I'm in Buffalo, and the climate here sure seems welcoming for any type of spider, pretty much.
edit: i see you're in Europe? Maybe you dont have to worry
tongue.gif

May 1, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #50 of 91
Sooooo, Pinkie is afraid of itsy-bitsy spiders!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey, can I have your mailing address? I'd like to send you a special gift....
Until then, here's something to tide you over!

wolfspider.jpg

Mr. Wolfie!

camelspider1.jpg

The notorious Camel Spider!

Reportedly the fastest of all spiders. Check out his speed in the video linked here:

Camel Spider video!

Phoneutria-nigriventer.jpg

The Brazilian Wandering Spider

brown_recluse.jpg

Our buddy here in the S. USA..the Brown Recluse....coming to a shoe near you!!

funnel_web.gif

...and this...the worlds most venomous and aggressive spider...the Funnelweb of Australia. He spends his life looking for as many females as possible to mate with and is always on edge!

MN014830_554.jpg

These are the tools of his trade! Man, that looks wicked!

You just knew I'd have to reply to this thread didn't you!! Sleep tight meathead and don't let the <snicker, snicker> SPIDERS bite!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #51 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I am the first to admit that I am terrified by spiders. It's like they got a vendetta against me. And what's with that many eyes, it's like ewww. Actually I think I suffer from Arachnophobia but have never been to the shrink or doctor to confirm this.

LOL, perhaps GoPinkWings has some truth to the name.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

May 1, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
The notorious Camel Spider!

Reportedly the fastest of all spiders. Check out his speed in the video linked here:

Camel Spider video!

KenW --

I would hate to side with GoPinkWings here... But...
You REALLY need to get your facts straight, my man!
biggrin.gif

"Camel spiders are not spiders. They are sometimes called "wind scorpions" but they are not scorpions either. They are a different species of arthropod called solipugids which are not venomous or have silk-making capacity. The name 'camel spider' may come from their often being found on corpses of camels which has lead to the myth that they actually can kill camels. In truth, they will use the body of a camel to prey upon other insects that gather around carrion. Also, it has been said that the camel spider will use the hair it collects to build a nest. Whether or not it will use human hair collected from sleeping soldiers is also not confirmed."

KenW... Mr. Ampless, and... Mr. Knowledgeless...
very_evil_smiley.gif

BANGPENTAMETER

May 1, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #53 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
KenW --

I would hate to side with GoPinkWings here... But...
You REALLY need to get your facts straight, my man!
biggrin.gif

"Camel spiders are not spiders. They are sometimes called "wind scorpions" but they are not scorpions either. They are a different species of arthropod called solipugids which are not venomous or have silk-making capacity. The name 'camel spider' may come from their often being found on corpses of camels which has lead to the myth that they actually can kill camels. In truth, they will use the body of a camel to prey upon other insects that gather around carrion. Also, it has been said that the camel spider will use the hair it collects to build a nest. Whether or not it will use human hair collected from sleeping soldiers is also not confirmed."

KenW... Mr. Ampless, and... Mr. Knowledgeless...
very_evil_smiley.gif

BANGPENTAMETER

Well CRAP!! Pinkie didn't know that.....that is until you had to show off. So they aren't technically "spiders". The effect was what I was after and you hadda go and blow it. I was setting him up to convince him that these things could actually run 25 mph and that they devoured human flesh. Thanks...thanks a lot! Shoulda known you were in cahoots with El Pinko.
icon10.gif

May 1, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #56 of 91
I was hoping this thread might help me alleviate some of my fears with spiders. But now I reckon I am worse.

I thought spiders had a sting like a wasp or bee in it's butt pod. I didn't know they inject the venom with their fangs.

I think the thing that makes me fear them the most is if I a m sleeping and then one crawled into my ear or nose and could feel it scuttling about....

Bangspuds>Yeah good call on Mr. Ampless. So how come you know so much about spiders seeming you hate them?

Mr. Ampless>You have been served....beeetch
rs1smile.gif

May 1, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #57 of 91
Quote:

Well CRAP!! Pinkie didn't know that.....that is until you had to show off. So they aren't technically "spiders". The effect was what I was after and you hadda go and blow it. I was setting him up to convince him that these things could actually run 25 mph and that they devoured human flesh. Thanks...thanks a lot! Shoulda known you were in cahoots with El Pinko.
icon10.gif

KenW --

Well, boo hoo! You got PUNK'D by Bangpan!
biggrin.gif

I am in "cahoots" with the Communist Pinko!
biggrin.gif

BANGPAN Quote:

Hey, where's my camel SPIDER pic? Hang tight Bangerboy....be right back! ...Aahh, that's better. The camel SPIDER is back!!

KenW --

I do not know what kind of magic show you are in...
But your camel "spider" picture does not like you!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, what else is new, MR. I-DO-NOT-KNOW-JACK! HAHA!
Well, at least we know who the circus animal around here is!

All in good humor, my friend (even if you are in pre-school)...
biggrin.gif

BANGPINK Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Bangspuds>Yeah good call on Mr. Ampless. So how come you know so much about spiders seeming you hate them?

Mr. Ampless>You have been served....beeetch
rs1smile.gif

GOPINKSTINK --

"Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer..."

Since I have led the assault on Mr. Ampless and Spitting Spiders...
evil_smiley.gif

WHY IN THE SAM HILL AM I NOT THE SUBJECT OF YOUR SIGNATURE?

BANGPRESIDENT

May 1, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #58 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonz
so does anyone know of a substance that repels spiders?
besides insecticide and lemon juice, that is.

nepalm???? I say we nuke them, dust off, declare the planet dead, it's the only way to be sure.

May 1, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #59 of 91
Hey Pinkie.....you didn't know that spiders inject venom through fangs? Guess you also don't know that's part of the feeding process, huh? Yep, the spiders wait for the venom to liquify the victims insides and then they suck it out. Isn't that just peachy! Hey, you do know that spiders and scorpions love dark areas don't you? Shoes, clothing stuck in a musty closet, cups/glasses in pantries....man, they're everywhere. I've even had a brush with a scorpion in my bed! No joke. Climbed into bed and after a couple of minutes, I felt this "brush" against my leg. You know...sort of how sheets will sometimes make you leg feel like something moved? Only this movement had consistency and direction. I lifted the covers and there next to my left leg lay a scorpion. Needless to say, he died a quick and hopefully painful death. Point is that they like heat....body heat. Sleep well my arachnophobic friend!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #60 of 91
Quote:

Hey Pinkie.....you didn't know that spiders inject venom through fangs? Guess you also don't know that's part of the feeding process, huh? Yep, the spiders wait for the venom to liquify the victims insides and then they suck it out. Isn't that just peachy! Hey, you do know that spiders and scorpions love dark areas don't you? Shoes, clothing stuck in a musty closet, cups/glasses in pantries....man, they're everywhere. I've even had a brush with a scorpion in my bed! No joke. Climbed into bed and after a couple of minutes, I felt this "brush" against my leg. You know...sort of how sheets will sometimes make you leg feel like something moved? Only this movement had consistency and direction. I lifted the covers and there next to my left leg lay a scorpion. Needless to say, he died a quick and hopefully painful death. Point is that they like heat....body heat. Sleep well my arachnophobic friend!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

HenW --

Read my post a couple above this one...
If you want some butt-spanking, that is!

Wow, you have been owned in this thread!
I feel so bad about mocking you. I am sorry!

[size=xx-large]NOT![/size]

BANGPRANKSTER

Users who are viewing this thread

Back