Spiders:I hate them!!!!
Apr 30, 2005 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
I am the first to admit that I am terrified by spiders. It's like they got a vendetta against me. And what's with that many eyes, it's like ewww. Actually I think I suffer from Arachnophobia but have never been to the shrink or doctor to confirm this.

But the summer months are starting to warm up and worst of all, there is a spiders nest in the house in the attic. My youngest brother says it's "pulsating"?!?!?

Actually I feel sick just thinking about it.

Are there any headfiers who hate them as well.

Maybe I should get a blowtouch or something just to make sure I kill the nest or something?

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 91
While I can't say that I'm terrified of them, I do find them rather annoying. I live in the basement of my 2-story house and I can always tell when the transition from Spring to Summer will be. Around that time I will see a couple of these ugly mothers come about. It's usually at the worse time too...most often I will be on the john minding my own business and ones about the diameter of my Grado bowl pad will come crawling out from behind the pot. Talk about literally scaring the krap out of you!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
While I can't say that I'm terrified of them, I do find them rather annoying. I live in the basement of my 2-story house and I can always tell when the transition from Spring to Summer will be. Around that time I will see a couple of these ugly mothers come about. It's usually at the worse time too...most often I will be on the john minding my own business and ones about the diameter of my Grado bowl pad will come crawling out from behind the pot. Talk about literally scaring the krap out of you!!!
biggrin.gif

ewwww, my brother was laying the smackdown on the pan when a rat crawled out. But it's the spiders which I hate the most. I like snakes and other things.

Is that an actual pic in your house????

some1x>Yeah kill em all. We need flamethrowers.

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundbuff
If one's in my house it gets an instant death sentence. No trial or automatic appeal.

Soundbuff --

I almost had an instant death sentence when I found this NEAR MY HAMPER!
This was one week ago in my dormitory... HOW SICK DOES THAT **** LOOK?!?

2061A_2.jpg

True story -- I was close to having a self-induced heart attack on the spot!
The damn thing did not even come near me and I was on the verge of death!

I caught that spider in a butterfly net and dropped an Anthropology textbook on it!
I MADE SURE THAT I HAD A 5X OPTICAL ZOOM FOR THIS SCARY MOTHER****ER!

...TALK ABOUT AS CREEPY AS THEY COME!
eek.gif

BANGPOISON

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Soundbuff --

I almost had an instant death sentence when I found this NEAR MY HAMPER!
This was one week ago in my dormitory... HOW SICK DOES THAT **** LOOK?!?

2061A_2.jpg

True story -- I was close to having a self-induced heart attack on the spot!
The damn thing did not even come near me and I was on the verge of death!

I caught that spider in a butterfly net and dropped an Anthropology textbook on it!

Talk about AS CREEPY AS THEY COME!
eek.gif

BANGPOISON

Is that a black widow??? That's why I don't go on holiday to any hot countries!!!! I need to live in the North Pole

Another headfier PM'ed me about "spewing spiders" does this exist??? Either that or he is on crack or something!!!!!

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
ewwww, my brother was laying the smackdown on the pan when a rat crawled out. But it's the spiders which I hate the most. I like snakes and other things.

Is that an actual pic in your house????

some1x>Yeah kill em all. We need flamethrowers.

Naw...dude, you think I keep those mosters alive long enough to snap off a pic?!?!?! I just quickly looked up the species and google'd it. The ones in my bathroom are a little smaller than that one, but mine do have those distinct lines on their backs. It's kinda funny because my dachshund will seek out and kill the little babies about the size of a quarter. After about a week when she's done with those the momma comes out from behind my dang toilet looking for revenge I guess
biggrin.gif
. Tell ya what, here in a couple weeks when she comes out, I'll snap off a pic for ya and you can see for yourself!

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
Naw...dude, you think I keep those mosters alive long enough to snap off a pic?!?!?! I just quickly looked up the species and google'd it. The ones in my bathroom are a little smaller than that one, but mine do have those distinct lines on their backs. It's kinda funny because my dachshund will seek out and kill the little babies about the size of a quarter. After about a week when she's done with those the momma comes out from behind my dang toilet looking for revenge I guess
biggrin.gif
. Tell ya what, here in a couple weeks when she comes out, I'll snap off a pic for ya and you can see for yourself!

I'll see if I can get a pic of the spiders nest in the attic. It's right next to the wasps nest we have there also!!!! Dude is that going to get ugly. Forgot to phone up pest control to deal with it.

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 91
Quote:

Is that a black widow??? That's why I don't go on holiday to any hot countries!!!! I need to live in the North Pole

Another headfier PM'ed me about "spewing spiders" does this exist??? Either that or he is on crack or something!!!!!

GoPinkwings19 --

It is a Southern Black Widow (Latrodectus Mactans), if I recall correctly...
This species is common in the southern United States, hence it's name...

"The Venom...
Although almost all spider species possess poison only a few species produce a venom virulent to be harmful to humans. Black widows are very timid spiders and are not known to agressively bite humans. However, the venom of black widows is a neurotoxin and it may interfere with the nerve impulses to muscle tissue. After being biten from a black widow one may feel painful rigidity in the muscles of the abdomen and a feeling of tightness in the chest. Other symptoms include an increase in blood pressure, a rise in body temperature, nausea, and sweating. Death is uncommon (less than 1% of the reported cases), but in the elderly or very young death may occur from asphyxia 14-32 hours after being bitten. Seek medical attention if you suspect you have been bitten. Without medical attention the symptoms can last 5 days and a complete recovery may take weeks."

"Spewing spiders?" As in, "spitting spiders?" Yes, they do exist...
They can "spit" their venom up to six feet far and six feet high!
They are accurated to within an area the size of a tennis ball...
They usually go for the eyes and then manually inject the venom.
They are among the spiders that remove all liquid from their prey.

GANGBANG

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 91
I'm w/ you guys, I'm more terrified of spiders than anything else and any spider inside my home = instant death sentence. Execution is carried out by the longest blunt instrument I can find at the time. The only exceptions are for granddaddy longlegs or spider crickets (which aren't really spiders), I don't mind them.

The spiders I hate the most (not counting whether they're poisonous or not) are jumping spiders, those vile things freak me out so much, scarred me for life when I was little.

Last apartment I lived in, a spider decided to build a rather large web right beside the front door, out on the porch. I actually let that one live, because there was an unspoken agreement that as long as its web did not cross my entry path into the house and it stayed outside, it could live. I could always tell where it was, but at night when the porch light cast funny shadows, people got real nervous going up to my door.

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 91
Gangbanger>I remember readin an article about this dude who got bit by a spider in Florida. But because it wasn't toxic he didn't bother going to hospital. But then he felt ill a few days later and was rushed in. When he awoke that had amputated his arms. It turns out the spiders venom wasn't fatal but killed the nerve cells in his arms. Don't know how much truth there is to that story.

So what it is that makes spiders so terrifying then. Not all spiders are venomous and if they are like Bangbop said less than 1% actually die.

Hornets are vicious. THey are like flying sharks!!!!

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 91
Quote:

Gangbanger>I remember readin an article about this dude who got bit by a spider in Florida. But because it wasn't toxic he didn't bother going to hospital. But then he felt ill a few days later and was rushed in. When he awoke that had amputated his arms. It turns out the spiders venom wasn't fatal but killed the nerve cells in his arms. Don't know how much truth there is to that story.

Yes, yes...that story probably had some truth. I've heard brown recluse venom can do things like that. If you want to see first hand, go to the google image search and type in "brown recluse" but be warned that it's pretty graphic material. The venom actually kills skin cells, sometimes resulting in amputation, as you've already heard. Definitely not something I would want to experience!!!

Apr 30, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 91
Quote:

Gangbanger>...So what it is that makes spiders so terrifying then. Not all spiders are venomous and if they are like Bangbop said less than 1% actually die.

Hornets are vicious. THey are like flying sharks!!!!

GOPINKNUTS --

BANGBOP DID NOT SAY THAT, IT WAS COPIED-AND-PASTED FROM GOOGLE!
biggrin.gif

HAHA, THAT IS THE QUOTE OF THE WEEK! INTO MY SIGNATURE YOU GO, MAN!

BANGTANG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back