Spider TinyEar IEM Reviews
Dec 24, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 29
I was very happy with them but today i went to a cabin with ppl i knew and i was listening to music on these when they electrocuted me on the left ear....
It might be because of static electricity because it was pretty dry and the floor was carpet..but still...and it only happened to my left side
i tried listening more and i got shocked 6 times...so i took out my left one...
i came back but the problem seems to be gone....hmm...is this normal?

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #18 of 29
My realvoices left me but they're quite different tonally. The realvoice had more texture and these more apparent clarity. The realvoice was laid back in the lower treble where these are more forward. All that said, both are extremely well chosen compromises and voicings for their capabilities which is high for the price. The tinyear is ever so slightly warm in the lower mids without getting in the way at all. Probably not even noticable with certain setups. The Realvoice had a thicker note while still sounding very natural in the mids and with more texture. The TinyEar sounds cleaner but less textural. It has less weight and doesn't do low bass as well but doesn't really lack bass or texture either. It just doesn't have as much. One could argue that the Realvoice had a bit much. Depending on your preference, you could actually prefer the Tinyear. I'm sticking with the dual flange as it mitigates the lower treble highlighting and makes for a very enjoyable listen. They're suprisingly informative this way, especially for the price.

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #20 of 29
^ I agree pretty near completely with that review

my impressions: very nice package, nifty case, included tips, love the look of these. cable is quite microphonic, plasticky, and lacks strain reliefs completely where they enter the housing. chin slider works pretty well, and you can wear these up or down easily. about the comfort and their main selling point... they're a winner! I love the form factor. these are the first IEMs I've worn to cause no problems at all for my mutant alien ears long term on first wearing. now if only there were uber high end IEMs with micro drivers... 

I would describe the sound as pretty neutral. No immediately distinguishable sound signature, like goodvibes kind of said. bass is indeed punchy and have good texture, but I really wish there was more of it. bass rolls off at the extreme low end, wouldn't recommend these to bassheads. clarity and instrument separation are pretty good, mids are detailed, but the highs are especially impressive to me. my regular use IEMs cost 3-4 times as much as these phones, so I find it hard to give a completely fair evaluation of the sound for the price, but I was pretty surprised to see that they only retailed for $40. they're far better in sound than my old $80 IEMs which were a good value back then. I guess it just shows that earphone technology has been improving.  

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 29
More complete review and comments:

To start with, full thanks to the Spider for supporting the site and providing the contest.  I was one of the winners of these IEMs and am very grateful for the opportunity to have these.  They are surprisingly good for their price range.

My sources for comparison are flac and Pandora high quality from my laptop through m2tech hifrace evo to Parasound dac2000 ultra balanced cables to Parasound p/ld 2000 preamp (as headphone amp), Android Nexus S with VoodooSound for on the go. 

One thing I'd like to make clear, I'm not a small person or with small ears, and I like these TinyEars, so they are not just for people with small ears!  As a reference, in the Klipsch x10 I use the large double flange quite comfortably and for the best seal.  In the etys I seem to be a medium.  

As advertised, the TinyEars are quite light and comfortable.  As for sleeping, particularly with the comply foam tips, these are the most comfortable iems I have, possibly with the exception of the Klipsch x10.  Even my full custom Miracles aren't quite as comfortable for sleeping (as they stick out slightly further so there is more pressure if you turn the head sideways and the cable run behind the ears is slightly less comfortable while sleeping.

Under a motorcycle helmet, I found them quite good once I got them set.  However, they did tend to not stick in my ears as well as hoped when attempting to put the helmet on.

Microphonics as mentioned are pretty strong.  They are however much better when worn up.    I also was a little disappointed in the plug join, as the strain relief there doesn't look that great.  As an overall, I'd say in my mind as part of the whole package the cable seemed to be the weakest link in the package.

Sound signature to my ears is fairly neutral.  In comparison to my HF3 etymotics, they are similar with a slight bit more bass emphasis.  Soundstage and clarity is quite good overall, surprisingly so for their price range.

Also, I have noticed that the tips make a pretty big difference in the sound.  As mentioned above, the Comply are my favorites for comfort, however, the sound quality is quite different with them vs the silicon tips.  They are more muffled, the highs less clear, and the bass more prominent.  However, I do like this combination for sleeping and low level relaxing listening.  It tends to work for making the music much more "background" and they do have great isolation (probably slightly better than the silicon double flangetips)

The only other iem even close to the price range of these that I have listened to is the Etymotic MC5.  When I a/b the MC5 vs my HF3, it was immediately no contest.  The detail level and clarity was quite obviously lower in the MC5.  When I a/b the MC5 and the HF3, the difference is nowhere near as obvious.  The detail level and clarity and treble at casual listen seems to be in the same ballpark, particularly with less complex passages.  When I listen to the HF3 critically, there is no question that it is still better and things are clearer and more coherent, but the point is unlike with the MC5, it was a jarring immediately obvious difference, so I feel that the TinyEars are considerably closer.  Considering the high reviews, and considerably higher price point of the HF3s, I think that is saying quite a bit for the merits of the TinyEars.

It's been fun for me to review these, as it helps to bring my collection into perspective.  I believe that what you gain as you start going up the spectrum is more consistency in excellence.  For example, my Miracles sound good on everything I put them in period, whatever source, whatever song.  The HF3s have occasional songs where I find them lacking but are usually  a consistent amount off the Miracles.  The TinyEars have moments of absolute brilliance where they are quite good, and other areas where they are further off my higher end phones.  For example, in Rodrigo y Gabriela Buster Voodoo, which has a fairly complex layering of guitar and other tracks, the TinyEars come off with less coherency in the overall.  It sounds a lot more like a lead with more muted accompanying tracks.  My higher end stuff seems bring it together with equal weighting and more coherency.

Overall, I personally think these are great headphones for their intended purpose and price, and I think they have great sound for their money.  I seem to be drawn to neutral to slightly bright in my preferences and these seem to fall in those lines.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
Would anyone like to comment on how these do at low volume levels, ambient/downtempo type stuff.  I tend to listen to ambient at very low levels, -35, -40 on my RoBo clip+

For going to sleep I tend to use Pandora set to "new age instrumental" through my Android Nexus S with Voodoo Sound.  I use it set at very low levels and find them maintaining quite good dynamics at low levels.  With the comply tips they definitely have a very "mellow" / relaxing sound at low volumes. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #24 of 29
I bought a pair online and burned them in for at least 50 hours.  My first impressions are that they are very nicely detailed especially at the price point, the sound reminds me of a fellow 6mm driver IEM the CC51, I would like to compare them this week.  The included silicone eartips were all too small for me, the complies are a good fit, I have done any tip rolling yet as most tips stay at home.  Without making any comparisions they seem to be a bit mid-forward, highs are slightly rolled off with a nice low end.  Over ear is the way I prefer to wear them.  These will see regular rotation especially at home for low level listening while I am reading, looking forward to hearing some ambient tracks with them tonight.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 29
Is anyone able to do a comparison between these and ADDIEMs? I was thinking about giving the TinyEars to someone as a gift (he has small ears and ear canals and always has a terrible time fitting IEMs or earbuds). He currently uses the ADDIEM with the smallest tips - I think these would be a lot more comfortable for him, but I don't want it to be a downgrade in SQ.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #27 of 29
I mainly compared them to my sony which were at a similar price. However, the tinyears had much detailed and better sound qualities. I used the short ear buds (the ones shorter than the ones that come on the earphones). i thought the comply tips delivered the best sound quality and bass but it was too much of a hassle to squeeze them and wait for them to expand in your ears. The only things that i noticed were that the earphones seemed to struggle in really low sounds but still pretty good for the sound quality and i really like the sound signature. Also, i would like to point out that these have very good built quality. One of the things i noticed was that the cable (the thinner cable after it split into two) seemed to be very sensitive to touch and makes like a "thud" sound when it touches against something. I tried running in these but the thud sound was too much so i couldnt really enjoy the music. They are really light and comfortable and good to sleep with.
Overall, these iems are pretty good especially for their price. The only things that they could improve is the cable that makes the thud sound, the sound quality which is pretty good already, and maybe a little more bass. Having said that, you have to keep in mind the cheap price.

Note: They said this was for people with small ears but the width of the earbuds are pretty much the same as using the smallest size of the earbuds that sony give you. I think the small is more for the size of the whole thing rather than the width of the earbud.

Unfortunately, I squished the part where it connects to the ipod so only the right side works now....im pretty sure it kinda my fault so i cant say much about the durability although it looks pretty sturdy....

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
Is anyone able to do a comparison between these and ADDIEMs? I was thinking about giving the TinyEars to someone as a gift (he has small ears and ear canals and always has a terrible time fitting IEMs or earbuds). He currently uses the ADDIEM with the smallest tips - I think these would be a lot more comfortable for him, but I don't want it to be a downgrade in SQ.

i dont know if uve read my posts yet but i mentioned how the tips arent that much smaller in width compared to the smallest tips that sony gives

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #29 of 29
Which model of Sony are you comparing them to?

Quote:
I mainly compared them to my sony which were at a similar price. However, the tinyears had much detailed and better sound qualities. I used the short ear buds (the ones shorter than the ones that come on the earphones). i thought the comply tips delivered the best sound quality and bass but it was too much of a hassle to squeeze them and wait for them to expand in your ears. The only things that i noticed were that the earphones seemed to struggle in really low sounds but still pretty good for the sound quality and i really like the sound signature. Also, i would like to point out that these have very good built quality. One of the things i noticed was that the cable (the thinner cable after it split into two) seemed to be very sensitive to touch and makes like a "thud" sound when it touches against something. I tried running in these but the thud sound was too much so i couldnt really enjoy the music. They are really light and comfortable and good to sleep with.
Overall, these iems are pretty good especially for their price. The only things that they could improve is the cable that makes the thud sound, the sound quality which is pretty good already, and maybe a little more bass. Having said that, you have to keep in mind the cheap price.

Note: They said this was for people with small ears but the width of the earbuds are pretty much the same as using the smallest size of the earbuds that sony give you. I think the small is more for the size of the whole thing rather than the width of the earbud.

Unfortunately, I squished the part where it connects to the ipod so only the right side works now....im pretty sure it kinda my fault so i cant say much about the durability although it looks pretty sturdy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back