Spent the day demoing the JH Audio lineup vs my TF10s. Thoughts.
Aug 1, 2011 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sn4chm0

New Head-Fier
Lost my TF10s a few weeks ago, need to replace 'em. Spent the day at 32 ohm (Portland audiophiles must go!) checking out the JH offerings (and all the other goodies). Was using foam tips of course, but I held them in place to ensure depth/angle, best I could do. Source was my iPhone 4.

JH 5 sound like clearer versions of $50 IEMs. Not quite worth $400 and custom shells.

JH 7 sound just like my TFs with tighter bass, not as dark, somewhat less sibilance/separation in the mids and highs. Couldn't honestly recommend one over the other, but JH are a bit more colored (and more expensive).

JH 10X3 has significantly better clarity, much more present midrange and roughly the same lows and highs. Fantastic neutrality, a clinical recreation of the source. I don't think anything below is worth the money for a nonprofessional neutral signature.

JH 10 are also very clear, just a bit more fun, but...

JH 11 are like the 10's (not X3) prettier, easier to get along with sister who they'll never live up to. At the current price of $50 more you'd be nutty not to get them instead. The sound is clear and fun, with tight AND booming bass. For sheer non-analytical joy of listening at higher-than-advisable volumes, these beat everything I've heard. Needless to say they're what I'm getting... I can't go back.

JH 13 improve on the X3 in soundstage and separation. I believe the difference, while obvious, isn't necessarily an improvement. "Even more live", but unless analyzing the sound, not significant. Uncomfortably sibilant to my ear.

JH 16 truly sound like you're standing in a studio. I wont get into detail, they're the best I've heard. However, as with all neutral IEMs and the reason i'm getting 11s, the point at which the treble becomes uncomfortable is not quite satisfying for fun listening.

Ok, that's my indulgent amateur review. Was looking for something more fun than my TFs, and the 11s deliver in spades.

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 8
^BenonBen

I don't know about you, but customs may have saved my ability to work. I work in an open environment with a lot of noise hanging around in the office, customs make a great comfort and isolates very well, something I have yet to achieve with an universal IEM.

Aug 1, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Yea, customs are a little indulgent I agree, but the fit fiddling and inconsistent sound with universals is more or less my reason to spend the extra couple benjamins. That's a lot in my tax bracket, just a matter of taste.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 8
Having owned JH5, JH13 and JH16, fit aside, I would take TF10 over JH5 and JH13 but not JH16.

TF10 is colored but not over the top colored.  Very fun but still balanced.  It extends farther on top and bottom than JH5 but JH5 still excellent all arounder.  I prefer TF10 over JH13 because the bass is superior.  JH13 has this really LOW bass presence but seems missing lower mid-bass where it just doesn't sound quite right.  Just my opnion of course.  JH16 is a much more refined, improved TF10.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 8
32 ohms is an incredible place. thanks for the impressions on these higher end customs, interesting for sure. did you try out their LCD-2 or denon d7000 while u were there? :)

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Feelings pangs of guilt for dismissing the JH5s.  $50 is too harsh.  More of a statement on how good cheaper IEMs sound than any failing of the JH5.  $100-150 buds from Klipsch, UE, etc are creeping up on the lower end of pro audio.  JH is geared toward big spenders, and I think the price at their bottom end is inflated a little to match.

^Ikelmonster

I tried a lot, lot of stuff, including most of the biggest pricetags in the store, but wasn't really paying attention to anything but IEMs w/ detachable cables.  The guy working handed me his own LCD-2s when I asked to listen to the best of the best, just for fun.  Those are some very fancy 'phones :)

Edit: I'm sounding more authoritative than I am :) I dont know what I'm talking about, barely heard a fraction of what's out there.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 8
As a dual driver I have always though JH5 was just as good as ANY universal in production right now and that says a lot.. But many have a different sound preferences. 8 years here on Head-Fi and I would say 9 out of 10 get rid of TF10 because of fit, not sound.  JH5 has great clarity but is certaibnly no detail or bass monster.  It represents all frequencies adequately but is not superior in any one.    Very midrange/lower mid-bass focused.  You are spending $400 for a great fit and a great sound that will match up with any universal and that's where it ends.  It becomes personal preference of sound after that.  JH7 sounds intriguing.  "Pizzafilms" said it was superior as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back