Spent So Much Money and Still Disappointed
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #48 of 186
Those HP elitebooks have some rocking headphone output.  Perhaps its the Nvidia audio chipset over your standard Realtek/HD on-board.

Quote:
I sit at a computer all day long with a pair of headphones on, plugged into a laptop headphone jack...

but not all head phone jack are all the same... My dell vostro 1500 the sound quality is rubbish (muffled mid range) and lacks power but my work laptop a HP Elitebook 8530w has excellent sound quality and will drive my headphones to ear damaging volumes.

To sort out my Vostro I've just ordered an usb/dac head phone amp (ibasso D7) maybe this something that you should look into.

To TS:

Sounds like you liked the Beats, there has been some great sales on official refurbs, perhaps you should pick one up.

Otherwise, check out some Ultrasones (Pro 550, HFI 780/580 would probably suit you best), Denon D2000.  Those guys have a very good balance of SQ, detail and bass response and are easily driven.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #49 of 186
Well if you like the beats then go for them but I'm telling you now the denon 2000s are far superior to those beats.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #50 of 186
If you're going to take recommendations again I would suggest finding a retail store that you can demo them at. THe D2000 should be floating around somewhere. The Sony's won't be hard to find at all. Otherwise you may end up being disappointed again. 

Otherwise, just get the Beats. Guys on this forum love having a pin cushion. Just happens to be the Beats right now. Number 1 rule is to use your own ears to judge. If they blow you away then that is the whole point of the hobby right there. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #51 of 186

Quote:

Don't want to troll or something but have to say this is the best advice in your case
Just get some Beats and take up another hobby. I'm not trying to be mean; it's just that; from the tone of this post, it seems like you'd be happiest this way.

Wow.. did you really need to post this response. No, I'm not an elitist audiophile snob and I understand that in your eyes this some how makes me inferior to you but I am seeking legitimate advise. I have already explained that I don't want to buy the Dre Beats because I heard them in a controlled environment and while they sounded amazing to me during the demo, that experience could well have been contrived or manipulated. I was extremely impressed with them but that doesn't mean there aren't better products. The Dre Beats have more or less exposed me to a new way of experiencing music that I never new was possible through headphones. Now that I know that I'm doing research to ensure I make the best possible decision.

So kindly refrain from sharing your timeless insight and wisdom if you have nothing of value to contribute.

Cheers!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #52 of 186

thund3rstruck just ignore the snide remarks from some of these people. You'll get use to it after awhile, there are a few @ssholes here an there. I'm posting here to help you not to purposely make you make another purchasing mistake. Although that is still a possibility. You will never know until you try it yourself.

But going from a similar experience where I recommend my friend from work the denons (he kept asking me for advice at work and kept referring to the beats and ignoring my comments on the denons). I told him finally "You are asking for my advice and I am giving you it. The denons are far better than the beats. If you wanna waste your money then go ahead." He finally took my advice and got an open-box deal on the denons ($180.00).

He later called me to thank me for swaying his decision. He initially though the beats were good but the denons gave him a whole new outlook on sound quality. Just FYI, good luck :).
Quote:
Wow.. did you really need to post this response. No, I'm not an elitist audiophile snob and I understand that in your eyes this some how makes me inferior to you but I am seeking legitimate advise. I have already explained that I don't want to buy the Dre Beats because I heard them in a controlled environment and while they sounded amazing to me during the demo, that experience could well have been contrived or manipulated. I was extremely impressed with them but that doesn't mean there aren't better products. The Dre Beats have more or less exposed me to a new way of experiencing music that I never new was possible through headphones. Now that I know that I'm doing research to ensure I make the best possible decision.

So kindly refrain from sharing your timeless insight and wisdom if you have nothing of value to contribute.

Cheers!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #53 of 186
I'm surprised no-one recommended the Sony MDR-XB700. If you loved the Beats, you'll love the XB700 even more, and they're a lot cheaper. I've owned at least a dozen headphones ranging from €50 to €350 and they're by far the ones I prefer. Great bass, and surprisingly wide soundstage. I don't think you can beat their price/quality ratio.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #54 of 186
As a fellow owner of the HD515 I can safely say clarity of notes and bass punch are not its strong suits.  Another option that I think would work very well in your case is Denon's D1100.  It's a bit bassier than the D2000(cheaper too) while still giving a much clearer sound and better musical definition than the HD515.  It's very easy to drive so it works well with just about any source.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #55 of 186
+1

It is members like those that make this place so difficult for newer members. The blind Bose and Beats bashing has been taken way too far and seems to whip those with small minds into a frenzy of ignorance. 

In reality all of us should be thanking bose, beats, skullcandy, and apple for raising the profile of headphones in general which in turn proves there is a market for cans which are better than the freebies that come with whatever player they just bought. If even 10% of people who start with any of these so-called evil headphone companies move on to other headphones with better sound/build/price to performance ratio then the overall raise in customers will push manufacturers to improve products or allow smaller companies (hifiman, audeze) to even exist. 

Instead what we get is anytime beats etc. are mentioned in a thread is a parade of members jumping on the chance to show how 'audiophile' they are by bashing the user for even daring utter the blacklisted brands. It makes no sense. These are often the same members who take a look at the flavour of the month (I'm looking at you M50) and recommend that headphone for everything. 

I am not ashamed to admit I got hooked into head-fi after starting with skullcandy and beats and wanting to see just how much better I could get music to sound. I'm in a position (having finally paid off my student loans etc.) where I was able to save and buy some decent equipment and head-fi was a hugely valuable resource to help me research what I was going to get. While doing this research however I have had to wade through so much negativity and blind ignorance that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. 

So while many (myself included now) find the sound quality of Bose, Beats, and Skullcandy, to be subpar to many similarly priced products from smaller, more specialized manufacturers, I honestly believe that without them we would likely not have the smaller new companies (HiFiMan, Audeze) that are pushing headphones to the next level. 

If someone likes Beats for using at work then that is fine, they work well for sound isolation, the noise cancellation on some models would be ok in a noisy office environment, and don't require an amp to do the job. If they are requesting recommendations for alternatives those can be provided without being insulting or condescending. 

Quote:

Cheers!
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #56 of 186
Quote:
+1

It is members like those that make this place so difficult for newer members. The blind Bose and Beats bashing has been taken way too far and seems to whip those with small minds into a frenzy of ignorance. 

In reality all of us should be thanking bose, beats, skullcandy, and apple for raising the profile of headphones in general which in turn proves there is a market for cans which are better than the freebies that come with whatever player they just bought. If even 10% of people who start with any of these so-called evil headphone companies move on to other headphones with better sound/build/price to performance ratio then the overall raise in customers will push manufacturers to improve products or allow smaller companies (hifiman, audeze) to even exist. 

Instead what we get is anytime beats etc. are mentioned in a thread is a parade of members jumping on the chance to show how 'audiophile' they are by bashing the user for even daring utter the blacklisted brands. It makes no sense. These are often the same members who take a look at the flavour of the month (I'm looking at you M50) and recommend that headphone for everything. 

I am not ashamed to admit I got hooked into head-fi after starting with skullcandy and beats and wanting to see just how much better I could get music to sound. I'm in a position (having finally paid off my student loans etc.) where I was able to save and buy some decent equipment and head-fi was a hugely valuable resource to help me research what I was going to get. While doing this research however I have had to wade through so much negativity and blind ignorance that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. 

So while many (myself included now) find the sound quality of Bose, Beats, and Skullcandy, to be subpar to many similarly priced products from smaller, more specialized manufacturers, I honestly believe that without them we would likely not have the smaller new companies (HiFiMan, Audeze) that are pushing headphones to the next level. 

If someone likes Beats for using at work then that is fine, they work well for sound isolation, the noise cancellation on some models would be ok in a noisy office environment, and don't require an amp to do the job. If they are requesting recommendations for alternatives those can be provided without being insulting or condescending.

Exactly. Good post.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #57 of 186

Quote:
+1

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #58 of 186
Did he say his source was the laptop jack? That's your first problem, then check the quality of your files...

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #59 of 186
Sounds like you liked the Beats, there has been some great sales on official refurbs, perhaps you should pick one up.

Otherwise, check out some Ultrasones (Pro 550, HFI 780/580 would probably suit you best), Denon D2000. Those guys have a very good balance of SQ, detail and bass response and are easily driven.

Agreed. You know you like the Beats. Get them.

The main complaint people have with the Beats is that they're not a good value for the price. If you like them and can afford them, get them.

If you have the chance to test some other headphones before buying, do look at the Ultrasone 580, the Denon D2000, and the Sony XB700. Or try them later, if you become dissatisfied with the Beats.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #60 of 186
Quote:
Did he say his source was the laptop jack? That's your first problem, then check the quality of your files...

Already covered this. All files are either 320Kbps MP3 or FLAC RAW files. Obviously the jack needs an amp, which I don't have (but will soon).

Quote:
Quote:

Otherwise, check out some Ultrasones (Pro 550, HFI 780/580 would probably suit you best), Denon D2000. Those guys have a very good balance of SQ, detail and bass response and are easily driven.

Agreed. You know you like the Beats. Get them.
The main complaint people have with the Beats is that they're not a good value for the price. If you like them and can afford them, get them.
If you have the chance to test some other headphones before buying, do look at the Ultrasone 580, the Denon D2000, and the Sony XB700. Or try them later, if you become dissatisfied with the Beats.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I have narrowed it down to two options. The Sony MDR-XB1000 or the the Denon AHD2000

Thanks everyone for your great feedback! I'll let everyone know what I ultimately decide on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back