Spending money on highend Headphones or Speakers!
Apr 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Shad0w99

New Head-Fier

Hi there,

After seeing some of the prices of some of the high-end headphones, I was wondering why you guys choose headphones over high end speakers? I would imagine speakers would be far more superior or am I wrong in thinking that? If disturbing other people wasn't a problem, would you guys still choose a headphone? I was looking at some headphones and the prices were going up to like $400+ and for the same amount of money, I could get something like Audioengine A5. So I was wondering why headphones seem more popular than speakers?

Thank you

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 27
For many people, portablility is a big factor. Most mainstream folks listen to music through ipods on the go. For this reason, it makes more sense to use headphones obviously. Another big factor is that in general, you can get much better sound for less money from headphones. The problem is, speakers only sound as good as your room. Headphones don't have this problem. I think the other big factor is that headphones have more detail and resolution than speakers. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 27
Speakers will beat headphones any day of the week.  Entry level/mid speakers rig will sparkle out all the high end headphone rig.  If portability and isolation don't matter than get those Audioengine A5.

I think the only thing maybe in terms of competitive gaming.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 27
^Agreed.  IMHO, the highend cans, with the right/matching equipment will replicate the sweet spot that speakers provide to a certain point.  The tradeoffs between the two implementations are well noted in past threads.  Price wise, spending $1K for a good headphone setup to give similar sounds to a $5K speaker setup is easier on the wallet, but as good as headphone setups may sound (you should attend local head-fi meets to get a variety taste of ear candy), if I had the money and my boys are least 6 years older, I would opt for the speaker/room setup.  Headphones for me at this moment is a transition phase.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 27
Harder to try different speakers because they're harder to stored. Headphones are great for experiementing.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 27
It comes to a personal decision.. but i think you came to the wrong place, because we love headphones. (most of us)
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 27
It's so different to me, When I listen through my headphones I'm in a different place, It's more intimate and less engaging than speakers.
It relaxes me and make me think. 
Generally when I listen to speakers it makes me wanna dance rather than listen to in. Honestly but that's just me.
they have different purposes and each have their strengths and weaknesses there's nothing better just a matter of preference.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 27
I primarily listen to headphones because I can't disturb others. Most of my music listening takes place after 5 PM where my parents are home, and they are very sensitive to noise, and our house isn't well isolated, which is why I can't listen to speakers.
I do feel that with headphones you get some more details you don't really get with speakers, however headphones don't give the "Holy crap, they're everywhere!"-feeling, I've gotten from my father-in-laws Dynaudio Focus 220. That, and what DjAmTraX said, it's easier to experiment with headphones than it is with speakers. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 27
i live in a tiny Manhattan studio apartment so I pretty much have to listen to music on headphones most of the time.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 27
Nothing beats a good pair of speakers!

With that said if you live in a dwelling where loud music can get you homeless ya better stick with the headphones.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
For many people, portablility is a big factor. Most mainstream folks listen to music through ipods on the go. For this reason, it makes more sense to use headphones obviously. Another big factor is that in general, you can get much better sound for less money from headphones. The problem is, speakers only sound as good as your room. Headphones don't have this problem. I think the other big factor is that headphones have more detail and resolution than speakers. 

Headphones are worth it to me as an additional way to experience the music, but I prefer speakers as my primary way to listen to music.

By the way, I don't find that headphones provide extra detail and resolution compared to speakers. I believe it only seems this way because of the tendency to listen to headphones at a higher volume. Which brings me to my biggest peeve with headphones - way too easy to end up with hearing damage.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Dont want to sound harsh but Akg k702 and cheap artamp will trounce Audioengine A5 in every possible way.
When I think about speakers I think about room shape, room treatment, speakers placement, how wide stereo spot do I need, then reality strikes, crappy room shape, end of story.
If I were looking at speakers It would be Adam A3X.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 27
I have a Definitive Technology home theater system and a Velodyne DD-15 sub, headphones don't even stand a chance.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 27
Once you start looking at the $1,000+ headphones, there are plenty of speakers that better them. You might even be happier dropping $200 on a pair of DIY Voight Pipes. It depends on what your priorities are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back