SPDIF/optical out for onboard sound vs discreet soundcard?
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Meliphcient

Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my PC in the near future, and am curious about whether the soundcard makes a significant difference if I plan on outputting via SPDIF or toslink (same standard, different methods I know, but TOSlink apparently has slightly higher jitter).
Anyone ever compared the two? Realtek onboard vs dedicated soundcard both feeding an external DAC?
The reason I want to use a soundcard onboard rather than go full USB is that I don't mind playing the odd game and the surround really helps in FPS.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 18
To be perfectly honest I can not tell the difference between onboard spdif and the optical out of my RME Digi 96 PST.

In fact on my Win7 pc I only use the onboard spdif/coax.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 18
I'm also curious about this. For example, does the onboard Realtek ALC889 optical out has more jitter then the X-Fi Titanium Optical out (flatter lifeless sound that lacks definition)?

Also, does the ripple of the computer PSU has any effect on the jitter of the spdif-out?

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 18
It is ideal to use a SPDIF Transporter to eliminate electronic noises (a good example is, you can hear your mouse moving) and poor SPDIF controller (most of the lower end motherboards). I personally use an old sound card as a SPDIF transporter, it does a lot better job then my on board.

If you already have a spare sound card, I'd recommend trying them; each motherboard is different. And only you can tell the difference.

You can also find many threads regarding to this topic.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 18
The question is more about whether or not the optical out on the onboard or the discreet soundcard is going to be better or worse quality, since presumably they are both just pumping out the same digital audio.
I searched quickly before posting, and couldn't find a comparison of SPDIF out between soundcards. I'll take another look shortly.

Judging by the other posts in this thread it looks like there are no differences between SPDIF sources in a computer.

The main reason I ask is I want to know how heavily to weight the onboard sound. If SPDIF is the same no matter how you get it, I'll cheap out on the onboard and put that money towards a DAC.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 18
Having compared SPDIF taken of the mobo vs. a teralink x usb to spdif converter I can tell you that the USB to SPDIF converter wins by a large margin. the teralink X is genuine audiophile quality, the mobo spdif was very harsh and low fi sounding.

I have never compared SPDIF off the mobo vs. off a soundcard.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by erin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having compared SPDIF taken of the mobo vs. a teralink x usb to spdif converter I can tell you that the USB to SPDIF converter wins by a large margin. the teralink X is genuine audiophile quality, the mobo spdif was very harsh and low fi sounding.

I have never compared SPDIF off the mobo vs. off a soundcard.

LARGE margin? Probably something in the software, not the real difference.

Next.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 18
What can make major differece is feature you might want.
For instance there are a few around this forum that use a gaming card such as a Forte 7.1 to supply the S/Pdif singal to an external DAC/Can amp. This way they get all the features of the card but the upgraded soudn quality of the DAC/can amp.

This is why using a card to supply S/pdif can be prefered to usign a onboard.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerotohero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or this thread...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/usb...hiface-449885/

Or the many others on here...

FWIW the digital coax out on my delta1010 soundcard was far superior to my mboard digital coax out.
I will be upgrading to the m2tech hiface soon...

lol, almost everything in that article is debatable theory. USB cabling, digital cables... How did he measure the differences themselves? Are the devices applying a flavoring that could be found elsewhere for cheaper? (IE certain ONBOARD chipsets)

No wonder his newest toy comes out on top.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 18
..the fact remains many claim there seems to be differences between sources for S/pdif. Some suggest it is nothing to worry about. Others claim it is jitter or poor circuit design that can negatively influence the digital signal. Seems to be coming up more and more these days in many forums.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, almost everything in that article is debatable theory. USB cabling, digital cables... How did he measure the differences themselves?

measuring tools are essentially mortal technologies. experts trust their ears.

in case you didn't know there's also "analog sounding" digital cables: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/re...-cable-469313/

I would myself love to try a "digital sounding" analog cable, but noone seems able to recommend one to me
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back