SPDIF/optical out for onboard sound vs discreet soundcard?
Mar 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, almost everything in that article is debatable theory. USB cabling, digital cables... How did he measure the differences themselves? Are the devices applying a flavoring that could be found elsewhere for cheaper? (IE certain ONBOARD chipsets)

No wonder his newest toy comes out on top.

I suggest you read the more recent posts where dozens of posters have tried these devices for themselves and posted the results.

Or you could just continue to stick your head in the sand.....

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliphcient /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I want to use a soundcard onboard rather than go full USB is that I don't mind playing the odd game and the surround really helps in FPS.

Well, you're not going to get surround sound in games with SPDIF, unless the soundcard has Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, which most don't have.

Other than that my Realtek ALC889 is bitperfect at 44.1khz.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #18 of 18
Sigh, there really isn't much info out there that is easy to find. So what you're saying is that to get surround sound, ready for a headphone to play it back, output from SPDIF/TOSlink I need to have a card that does the decoding? And even if the onboard sound has analogue out for 5.1 etc it won't be able to output in a digital format that is convertible by DIY DACs to give headphone surround?
If what you say is true, then the onboard is useless for half of my needs -> answers my question perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back