SparkoS Labs Gemini Headphone Amp
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 78

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 78
It is time for a different tube in Gemini …. The venerated M-O-V (Marconi Osram Valve Co.) A2900, a 12AT7-type tube. 🙂

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #18 of 78
The Gemini is a great amp. The stock tube is very good too. I tried tube rolling but so far keep going back to the original as it’s excellent. I bought the amp with the intention of comparing it to my Auris Nirvana, and it’s very good - 95 percent of the nirvana with a very nice mid range… at a small fraction of the price. A small penalty in clarity is the most obvious difference… but all the fun.

I wanted something a bit smaller on the desk and it’s that too. The mix of the signature Sparkos op amps with a tube front end makes a great combination. I have the Sparkos Aries too, and that is also an interesting comparison. Nothing I have heard compares to the Aries for razor sharp resolution and clarity without the fatigue, I’ve had great benchmark gear but felt the fatigue. But the Gemini offers something different: tubey magnificence and solid state control… the power drives the Abyss 1266 without any issues.

A great amp. only one suggestion to improve tube rolling… if the chassis had a hinge type bolt allowing the top to rotate up it would be nice and easy to open. As it stands it’s easy enough to take out the six screws and they with a bit more difficulty line them up to restore them. A hinge would just be nice And easy.

Highly recommend a listen,

Tony AAA

Nov 23, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #19 of 78
Driven by SparkoS Labs Gemini, ‘tubed’ with a M-O-V (Marconi-Osram Valve) A2900, Focal Clear OG has a startling tactility added to its clarity, depth, heft, impact!
12B3B4E2-CE1F-4E44-B192-9229DBB6078B.jpeg
🤪

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #20 of 78
Ok from seeing the buzz behind this amp and the talk. I ended up ordering one. Cant wait for the amp.

Nov 25, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #21 of 78
Ok from seeing the buzz behind this amp and the talk. I ended up ordering one. Cant wait for the amp.
… be assured that the buzz is about the Gemini, not from the Gemini … 😄🤣

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 78
I have also decided to get one. I can't of any other amp in this price range giving so many possibilities of changing the flavour of the sound. Having an Pendant in my inventory is making tube rolling a lot easier. The good thing is there is a lot of tubes which are priced affordable and giving a diffrent characteristics.
Cheers

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 78
… be assured that the buzz is about the Gemini, not from the Gemini … 😄🤣
haha after dealing with it on my Lyr+ I certainly hope not.

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #24 of 78
[duplicate]

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #26 of 78
Just got mine in a hour or so ago. Just set it up and letting it burn in. I cant wait to give it a good listen.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #29 of 78
Not what I hear personally, and I thought his review didn't really do justice to the Gemini but others can chip in on this.

Ya, he seemed kinda lukewarm on it to be honest. He seemed to really like the tube rolling aspect of it though.

I don’t really think it’s fair comparing it to a Hugo TT2 and an LTA MZ3. Those amps are in a completely different league.

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 78
Ya, he seemed kinda lukewarm on it to be honest. He seemed to really like the tube rolling aspect of it though.

I don’t really think it’s fair comparing it to a Hugo TT2 and an LTA MZ3. Those amps are in a completely different league.
I had both TT2 and MZ3 (and MZ2) myself. For my own taste, I prefer Qutest with a separate amp, but that's preference as the TT2 is overly smooth for me. As for MZ3, it's a great amp but I didn't find it a notable upgrade from MZ2. And it also broke on me. I wouldn't pay retail for it, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back