SparkoS Labs Gemini Headphone Amp
Dec 9, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #46 of 78
DMP-A6.Gemini.Caldera.Medium.jpg

Today was finally time for the Caldera!
My usual setup of preference with them is Cayin DAC11 (Burr Brown PCM1792 with Siemens CCa) → Gustard P26 (Dual Sparkos SS2590) → Cayin HA-3A (with Apos Ray 12AU7).
So double tube power from DAC output stage and the HA-3A now with additonal P26 preamp featuring the Sparkos SS2590 op-amps (same as in the Gemini!) really brings the Caldera to sing!
As counterpart setup I used the Eversolo DMP-A6 ("only" ES9038Q2M) → Sparkos Gemini (Stock) with the Caldera and I have to say I am really impressed by what this simple combination can achieve at a fraction of the cost in its stock form! The Gemini is such a great amplifier!

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #48 of 78
It would be awesome to hear how the Gemini stacks up against the Aries. I heard the Aries at a local meet and I was super impressed with it. I would totally buy one but it’s in a price range I’m not really willing to jump into.
I really like both, but I have different DACs attached [Qutest to the Aries and Benchmark DAC-3 to the Gemini], and the two devices are significantly different in features. The Aries is a special desktop amp for sure. Just little tweaks like the left knob volume are helpful. The Gemini is a great sounding amp too. The Aries has a lot of neat tweaks at the panel and is a full featured device. If it had a remote I’d test it in my main rig for fun…..

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #49 of 78
Gemini, tubed with NOS Telefunken ECC801s, really brings the 🎼 goods home! [Grado RS-1x headphone; Gemini gain button 'in': greater tube contribution in tube / opamp mix]

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #50 of 78
I just recently got the Gemini and I can safelly say I'm seriously impressed with this little industrial looking beast of an amp. The sound is so musical and warm while still retaining all the details. The small footprint is perfect for my limited desk space. My ZMF Auteur Classic never sounded this good. Can't wait to get the NOS tubes I have on order to see if I can further improve the SQ even though it already sounds great with the stock Electro-Harmonix 6992s.

IMG_3785.jpg

Feb 25, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #51 of 78
Back to the Marconi-Osram-Valve A2900, a 12AT7-type tube, in Gemini .... The use of the 'Gain' button, pushed in to lower overall gain / to increase the tube sonic contribution, is wonderful with high sensitivity headphones - such as Grados. Pure music !!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #52 of 78
The Gemini is such a wonderful hybrid amp and needs to get much more attention. Such sweet sound in stock form and then there's tube & op amp rolling and playing with the internal jumpers to furher tweek the sound to one's preference. I only owned a few hybrid amps and out of them the best I had was the Pathos Aurium. That's until I got the Gemini which IMO smokes the Aurium in all metrics at almost half the cost. I'm seriosuly impressed with this little "beast". More people need to try it. For those searching to add a bit of that tube flavour while still retaining a tight, detailed and controlled sound I don't think you can get any better for the price.

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #53 of 78
Listening to some TBNH on the CA1000T/Gemini combo with my ZMF Auteur Classic and it just sounds amazing.

image_50737409 (1).JPG

image_50422273 (1).JPG

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #54 of 78
I want to share my enthusiasm for the Gemini. It's surely a great little amp. Especially with the Sennheiser HD800/HD800S and all the HD6**s - HD600, HD650, HD660S HD660S2.

But it sounds great with planars too. I'll have to do more testing. ll do a review of this one for sure :)

Sparkos Gemini HD800S.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #56 of 78
I had a chance to hear the Gemini at the Florida Audio Expo with the ZMF Verite Closed and Aeolus and walked away very impressed.

My big question is for those who own or have demoed the Gemini vs the current Schiit Lyr+, how would you compare them?

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #57 of 78
Hello all. I am seriously considering this amp. Did anyone tried this with IEMs? And does this amp in its stock tube configuration work great with all genres, including pop/edm/electronic/rock?

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #58 of 78
Hello all. I am seriously considering this amp. Did anyone tried this with IEMs? And does this amp in its stock tube configuration work great with all genres, including pop/edm/electronic/rock?
Can't say about IEMs since I don't use them anymore but my guess would be some sensitive models might pick some hum/hiss/background noise due to the amp using tubes in its gain stage.

As far as the amp working for all genres in it's stock config...hell yeah it does :) I listen to a wide variety of music and the Gemini performes admirably on all genres.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #59 of 78
Those $5k Power cables going into a Radio Shack surge protector is awesome!:ksc75smile:
The power cables are $28.95 each .... purchased on Ebay 👍🤣🤣

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #60 of 78
The power cables are $28.95 each .... purchased on Ebay 👍🤣🤣
I was looking at your hardware and was wondering if you could answer a question of mine. Audeze has been my benchmark for headphones for the longest time, had all the LCD’s ant one point. Just have the 3/4 now. Recently I got the OG Clear. IMO it is better than anything Audeze offers. Do you have a ZMF headphone that you could recommend based on that information?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back