SparkoS Labs Gemini Headphone Amp
Dec 2, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #31 of 78
I just ordered a Gemini for a bedroom rig. A Bugle Boy 6DJ8 will be one of my test tubes. I saw Lachlan's review and if anyone can clarify, does the 4-pin balanced XLR output the same power as the unbalanced 6.3mm output. Seemed that what he inferred. No difference in performance, just a different connector.

UPDATE: Confirmed with Andrew at Sparkos. Indeed, both output jacks deliver the same voltage....

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #32 of 78
I had both TT2 and MZ3 (and MZ2) myself. For my own taste, I prefer Qutest with a separate amp, but that's preference as the TT2 is overly smooth for me. As for MZ3, it's a great amp but I didn't find it a notable upgrade from MZ2. And it also broke on me. I wouldn't pay retail for it, that's for sure.
I run a Qutest to a Sparkos Aries in my office. Very nice combination......

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #33 of 78
I just ordered a Gemini for a bedroom rig. A Bugle Boy 6DJ8 will be one of my test tubes. I saw Lachlan's review and if anyone can clarify, does the 4-pin balanced XLR output the same power as the unbalanced 6.3mm output. Seemed that what he inferred. No difference in performance, just a different connector.
Yes, that is correct.

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #35 of 78
I had both TT2 and MZ3 (and MZ2) myself. For my own taste, I prefer Qutest with a separate amp, but that's preference as the TT2 is overly smooth for me. As for MZ3, it's a great amp but I didn't find it a notable upgrade from MZ2. And it also broke on me. I wouldn't pay retail for it, that's for sure.

That’s quite a nice lineup. I’m currently running a Chord Mojo 2 with a HeadAmp GS-X Mini. Its a nice combo … I’m really interested in getting into tubes but I don’t want to give up those SS technicalities I’ve gotten used to with the GSX.

The Gemini is intriguing because it’s a hybrid design and it only requires one tube to play with tube rolling.

I’m curious to see how this amp stacks up against SS amps in the $1K - $2K range.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #36 of 78
To @Nostoi and to @Andrew Rieger : when I use the MOV A2900 (or Brimar CV455 Footscray) tube, jumper #2 set for low bias (in), gain set for low (button pushed in - more tube contribution), soundstage is great! No shallowness, two-dimensionality here!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #37 of 78
That’s quite a nice lineup. I’m currently running a Chord Mojo 2 with a HeadAmp GS-X Mini. Its a nice combo … I’m really interested in getting into tubes but I don’t want to give up those SS technicalities I’ve gotten used to with the GSX.

The Gemini is intriguing because it’s a hybrid design and it only requires one tube to play with tube rolling.

I’m curious to see how this amp stacks up against SS amps in the $1K - $2K range.
I don't really consider myself a tube guy myself as I generally prefer the precision of SS performance. However, I had the Sparkos Aries before and loved the overall engineering and thought behind it. The only drawback for me was that it was rather large for my desk.

The nice thing about the Gemini is that you can basically tweak it to present a near SS presentation if desired. Even in tube mode, it still retains a fairly linear and accurate presentation on headphones such as HD800S.

I will probably connect the Gemini to an SS amp in the future via the RCA out for greater versatility. I had the Violectric HPA 222 beforehand and that would be a good combo. I'm thinking the new Austrian Audio Full Score amp would also work well.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #38 of 78
I will probably connect the Gemini to an SS amp in the future via the RCA out for greater versatility. I had the Violectric HPA 222 beforehand and that would be a good combo. I'm thinking the new Austrian Audio Full Score amp would also work well.

Hmm, that’s an interesting idea. So you’re basically using the Gemini like a unity gain tube buffer into a nice SS amp?

How does that work exactly in terms of volume control? Are you setting the SS amp volume to max and then using the Gemini volume control?

Excuse my ignorance. Would such a setup be considered “double amping”?

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #40 of 78
Overall do you think the Type 2 12AT7 sounds better than the Type 1 6DJ8?
I have not tried that (yet) in Gemini. I can say that in Woo Audio WA2, WA3, WA6 - where I use tube adapters - 12AT7 / ECC81 sound better than 6DJ8 / 6922 / 7308 / E88CC in every instance.

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #41 of 78
Hmm, that’s an interesting idea. So you’re basically using the Gemini like a unity gain tube buffer into a nice SS amp?

How does that work exactly in terms of volume control? Are you setting the SS amp volume to max and then using the Gemini volume control?

Excuse my ignorance. Would such a setup be considered “double amping”?
It was Andrew who suggested it. If I may quote him:

"Something that is very interesting is to use the Gemini in front of the Aries by using the Gemini RCA outputs and going into the Aries from there.

That way, you can impart a fixed amount of tube sonics into the sound, and then volume control things from the Aries."

I've tried it with a Mass Kobo SS amp and it works very well. It's not really double amping, because one is going through RCA outputs rather than PO.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #43 of 78
@vonnie123 , when I first read about Gemini, and about its system of jumper setting for tube choice, for tube bias / contribution to sound mix, for input attenuation (if needed), I thought “Oh my! No adapters needed! A potential source of noise eliminated!” So far, I have not been disappointed - have been delighted, and with a variety of headphones. P.S., if you need / would like tube suggestions ….

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #44 of 78
@vonnie123 , when I first read about Gemini, and about its system of jumper setting for tube choice, for tube bias / contribution to sound mix, for input attenuation (if needed), I thought “Oh my! No adapters needed! A potential source of noise eliminated!” So far, I have not been disappointed - have been delighted, and with a variety of headphones. P.S., if you need / would like tube suggestions ….
Thanks. I’m open to your suggestions of what good tubes to roll are. I have a good stock of the Type 1 and Type 2 tubes. Mostly domestic stuff….GE, RCA, and Sylvania, but own a few europeans too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back