spare some advice for a palpably novice headfier........about tube amps/dacs
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

theyazzern

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I am currently in the market for a reasonably priced(sub 400 $) tube amp/dac combo for home use.

My criteria are as follows:

1) The aforementioned price limit.
2)a decent DAC Topology.
3) Ability to compliment a wide array of headphones.
4) Ability to plug straight into a pc.
5) tube " roll-ability"

pluses: general Good looks, neutrality, without sacrificing the depth and soul of tube amps.

My gear I would use it with:

1) Sennheiser hd595
2) Sennheiser momentum
3) t90 Tesla
4) K550 AKG
5) DT 1350
6) Audio-Technica ad700
7) Sony mdr ex1000(iems)

you may notice that I tend to gravitate towards headphones with a flatter signature, which is the generally the case. The momentums are really the black sheep in this lineup.

I searched for a comparable thread before starting this one.

ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!!

Sep 15, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Is this PC audio setup for music? movies? gaming?

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 10
Patience is a virtue......
deadhorse.gif

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Maybe the Little Dot Mk III tube amplifier?
Schiit Modi USB DAC
I'm guessing you will end up mostly using the T90 Tesla headphones.
My T70s have great clarity.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Tube amp under 400$ that fits a wide range of headphones? Well, you might want to narrow down your criteria because you won't find any good answer with such a wide post. What headphones do you use when you are at your desk/listening station? Why do you absolutely want a tube amp? There isn't that many choices in that price bracket and here are the main ones that I know (note that it is very unlikely that any of those will fit all of your expectations).

Used WA3/6
Little Dots mk3/4
Schiit Valhalla/lyr
Darkvoice 336
MP-301

Check them out properly and see if you can find what you want there. I'm not in a position to recommend any of those, so I suggest you read a tad bit about each and then take your own decision.

Cheers

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Hey Remoo and angel, thanks for the timely reply.

well, I like headphones with flatter,(somewhat dry) frequency responses, although I listen to just about every genre sans rap, I like to hear an accurate recording whenever I can. I had a schiit asgard at one point which I adored, but I gave that to my brother. who lives overseas, and I currently only have a broken zo2 as a mobile amp and an e17 alpen for plugging into my pc as a makeshift dac. I really like the alpen's dac but I feel that it could do with a bit more clarity, moreover, it doesn't seem to sound that good with my audio technicas or my akg's. they both sound too dry and fatiguing to my ears. I am interested in tube amps because of what I've read about them  bringing out a warmer, fuller, sound for my more analytical sounding cans( k550, t90, hd595), but I am open to all suggestions of any alternatives.

oh and the above mentioned three are my cans for my desktop and what I listen to mainly.

genres( jazz, classical classical, and modern classical, some rock, lots of house and melodic rave, and pop)

requirements: punchy, detailed, tight bass( hate bloated bass). detailed, extended highs. good mid frequency presence, and sound stage.\

I realize that this combination is not very realistic(at this price), but there you have it.
cheers.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back