Southeastern Michigan Head-Fi Fall Meet - Detroit / Royal Oak / Pleasant Ridge, MI 9.19.15
Aug 22, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #33 of 103
Hi everyone,

I just updated the gear and participant lists based on who I have heard from so far. 

I'm really hoping we hear from some of our staples...you know who you are. If you don't, here's a reminder:

@timkwhite 
@tonykaz 
@TOPnut 
@Audio Guy 
@elrod-tom 
@kayandjohn 
@blitzxgene
@bbieringer
@cavedave
@PETEREK
@cel4145
@Claritas
@zach915m
@DVass13
@hotdogseller
@jjkes
@Rinx7

@teamrushpntball
@Trashman
@xantus
@00birdy
@thetakeout
@Merlinhifi
@Maginaer
@grohup
@davesa
@jhritz
@|Tch0rT|
@Shurephile

And as always, @jude you are invited! Love to see you again.

PM me if you're able to join us!

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #35 of 103
Attendance seems to be picking up for the meet. I know I'm super excited to get together with everyone and check out their gear. I know I have had some significant upgrades to my rig since the the Ann Arbor meet in March.

Most notably, I will be picking up my multibit Gungnir on Tuesday evening from FedEx and I have placed my order for a Mjolnir 2 with tubes. Both will be at the meet.

If you haven't PM'd me regarding your attendance or gear, please do so. See you in a few weeks!

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #36 of 103
Most notably, I will be picking up my multibit Gungnir on Tuesday evening from FedEx and I have placed my order for a Mjolnir 2 with tubes. Both will be at the meet.

I am looking forward to hearing the Gungnir MB - though I fear it's going to be a bit like rubbing salt in a wound. I was seriously considering pulling the trigger on one, and then our dog went and ate something she shouldn't have which ended up costing even more than the Gungnir. I think that dog is part goat.

Anyway, on my definite list of items I'll be bringing:
  1. Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball and capacitor/wiring mods (same purple one I had at the last meet, though now I've got several tube variations to play with as well)
  2. LH Labs Geek Pulse X (plain vanilla, no power supply or other upgrades)
  3. Schiit Fulla
  4. Sennheiser HD650
  5. Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm
  6. Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm
  7. AKG K7XX Massdrop Edition
  8. Koss PortaPro (should have these modded for balanced in time for the meet up)

I've got a few other items I may contemplate bringing depending up room and complexity, but think I may keep it simple for this round.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #38 of 103
I'll pm with my stuff shortly...a lot of it is still in boxes (which in theory ought to make it easier to bring :wink: ) because of a recent move.

Looking forward to this!

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #40 of 103
So, we're less than 2 weeks out from the meet and I know I'm excited!

I was just sitting listening to my rig and a ridiculous, first-world paranoid thought raced through my head....if I'm supposed to leave my Gungnir Multibit powered on for 12 hours to achieve optimal operating temperature, how am I supposed to transport it to the meet? I leave don't turn it off at home.

While attending the meet in Chicago, the gent that brought the Yggy actually had it on battery backup power in his car on the way to the meet. I just can't bring myself to purchase a battery backup for this purpose.

What's a man to do? Doc, am I too far gone?

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #42 of 103
The cruel irony about all of this power hubbub is that we just lost our power about 10 minutes ago!

I suppose no DAC for me until tomorrow. :grinning:

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #43 of 103
So, we're less than 2 weeks out from the meet and I know I'm excited!

I was just sitting listening to my rig and a ridiculous, first-world paranoid thought raced through my head....if I'm supposed to leave my Gungnir Multibit powered on for 12 hours to achieve optimal operating temperature, how am I supposed to transport it to the meet? I leave don't turn it off at home.

While attending the meet in Chicago, the gent that brought the Yggy actually had it on battery backup power in his car on the way to the meet. I just can't bring myself to purchase a battery backup for this purpose.

What's a man to do? Doc, am I too far gone?

Personally, I don't buy into the whole 12 hour warm up thing for solid state electronics. Solid state electronics shouldn't take that long to warm up. That, and ambient temperature is going to be a big influential factor on that. So seems like an arbitrary number.

Anyway, right before you unplug it at home to leave, wrap it in a warm beach towel freshly pulled from the dryer (make sure it was already dry before warming). It'll retain most of its heat on the drive. You don't have that far to drive, right?

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #44 of 103
looks like I will be moving across the country right around this time.. so unless someone wants to make an adventure of it and host me the night before.. (I'm coming from Traverse..)
you'd get to hear vinylstax in a more ideal setting than the meet ;D

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #45 of 103
Personally, I don't buy into the whole 12 hour warm up thing for solid state electronics. Solid state electronics shouldn't take that long to warm up. That, and ambient temperature is going to be a big influential factor on that. So seems like an arbitrary number.

Anyway, right before you unplug it at home to leave, wrap it in a warm beach towel freshly pulled from the dryer (make sure it was already dry before warming). It'll retain most of its heat on the drive. You don't have that far to drive, right?

I'm with you on the warm up time, for the most part. I have noticed a more developed, balanced sound from my Mjolnir when it warmed up maybe just perception, but I have noticed this change in the past.

Regarding Gungnir MB, I thought I read (but can't seem to find the actual post) that since the DAC chips used are not designed for audio and instead for different applications, they operate better at an optimal thermal temp.

BS or not, who knows. I was mainly joking anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back