Southeastern Michigan Head-Fi Fall Meet - Detroit / Royal Oak / Pleasant Ridge, MI 9.19.15
Jun 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 103
I know it's a ways off... but it's quiet here, too quiet. :bigsmile_face:

Got a couple of new toys for the get together... 

Breaking in my new Geek Pulse X, and my first impressions are very positive. Was ready to just sell it off after the long crowd-funding wait, but not sure I can do that now.

Also have a pair of JBL LSR305 powered monitors I'm thinking about bringing if there is interest (and room) for a little speaker demo area. I can't believe what these do for a street price of around $230 a pair (and keep in mind that includes amplification). I know, they are not headphones.

Looking forward to the meet up.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 103
Hey guys, just a few notes on a little mini-meet I did at Overture Audio  ( I was the only one in attendance.  lol)  

I was originally going to meet fellow Head-fi'ers Music Alchemist and kayandjohn to spend a couple of hours listening to some high end headphones.  John (kayandjohn) had just completed his review of the Hifiman HE-1000 headphones.  We were going to compare them with the Abyss 1266 and John's personal Sennheiser HD-800s.  

Well, Music Alchemist (Daniel) changed his mind about coming and I had to work that particular day so I ended up going to Overture Audio on the Saturday morning of June 13.  Tom "TJ"  at Overture Audio was gracious enough to set me up with a iPad that controlled their large music player in the store (I didn't get the name of it--bad reviewer!)  Each headphone that I auditioned was powered via a Mood Audio amp (specific model number not obtained--bad reviewer again.)  

I listened to the same tracks with each headphone.  All files were in ALAC, 44.1, 16 bit. 

Dave Brubeck "Take Five"
BB King "Sweet Sixteen"
Miles Davis "So What"
Bjork "Hyperballad"
Dvorak "Romance in F Minor OP11"
Norah Jones "Little Broken Hearts"
Rush "YYZ"
Tears For Fears "Mad World"
The White Stripes "Fell In Love With A Girl"

My impressions:  

The Hifiman HE-1000s were bright.  Not too bright.  Not as bright as a my Grado SR80e headphones, but the brightest of the three.  The soundstage was wide, the widest of the three as well.  The sound was almost three dimensional.  You could easily pick out the panning and distance of each instrument and vocal.  Female vocals were outstanding.  Sibilance was controlled.  Hi hat cymbals were true north, metallic, and smooth.  The general sound was crisp, detailed and clean. Hifiman HE-1000 fit my head very comfortably.  Much less clamping and pressure than the first pair of headphones I ever purchased, my Hifiman HE-400s.  

Abyss 1266 is intimidating to look at.  It stands there on it's proprietary stand with it's $5400+ price tag daring you to try them on.  I did and they were difficult to fit comfortably.  TJ mentioned that many people before me had difficulty fitting these headphones as well.  But I auditioned them and got used to wearing them as time passed.  One word to sum up the Abyss 1266s:  "Neutral"   To me, these are true 'audiophile' headphones.  The treble, midrange an bass were perfectly balanced.  The sound stage was appropriate to each track.  There was no sound enhancement, no coloration, no artificial effects at all.   These are truly reference grade headphones.  

I was very excited to hear John's Sennheiser HD-800 Flagship headphones with matching HVD 890 amplifier.  To me, this combo is one of those "end game" purchases.  To make it even more attractive, John had his personally painted to match his Fiat automobile.  A shiny, glossy red.  My good friend and fellow Head-fi'er zabzaf (Brian) crafted a custom cable for John's HD-800s to boot. For this purpose, however, I continued to use the Moon Audio amp that I used for the other two. These headphones fell right in-beween the Hifiman HE-1000s and the Abyss 1266s.  The sound was less bright, slightly veiled compared to the 1000s.  Soundstage was more than the Abyss, allowing the instrumentation to showcase each sound on the positive side of neutral. Violins sounded beautiful and realistic.  Female vocals were crisp and clear.  Intonation and staccato sounds were on-point.  Sibilance was balanced and well controlled.

Prior to this day of audioning $10,000 in headphones I thought that the Sennheiser HD-800s were my end game purchase.  They still may be because the upcoming retail price of the Hifiman HE-1000s is going to be $2999.  TJ at Overture Audio mentioned that they'd be in-stock in about a month for those who are so inclined.  I was very impressed with the HE-1000s.  I fell in love with the sound.  My taste fluctuates based on my mood.  Some days I like bright.  Some days I prefer dark.  But overall, I rank these particular cans as such:

Hifiman HE-1000
Sennheiser HD-800
Abyss 1266

This is based on my listening preferences.  If you are truly searching for "neutral" I would recommend the Abyss.  Bright?  The HE-1000s.  Warm? The HD-800s.  

If you're wealthy?  All three.  :)

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #19 of 103
I believe they have the Simaudio Moon Neo 430HA in house. I can't remember if it's the version with the DAC, though.

Thanks! I will make note of it next time I go into Overture Audio.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #20 of 103
I plan on bringing the new AKG N90Qs that are to be released Wednesday,
If there is anything someone wants to listen to, just comment so i know what to bring!

I also have: 
AKG K553 PROs
AKG K551
AKG K545

AKG Q701
AKG K7XX
AKG K242 HD
AKG K712

AKG K3003i

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #21 of 103
I plan on bringing the new AKG N90Qs that are to be released Wednesday,
If there is anything someone wants to listen to, just comment so i know what to bring!

I also have: 
AKG K553 PROs
AKG K551
AKG K545

AKG Q701
AKG K7XX
AKG K242 HD
AKG K712

AKG K3003i

Awesome! I really want to hear the 553s.

I plan on starting the gear post this weekend. Please PM me with the gear you plan on bringing. We're less than 90 days away from the meet!

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 103
Sooooooo...were about 2 months away from our fall meet. I know I'm excited, but so far I've only confirmed 4 others who will be joining me....

Who's in? PM me. It's going to be mighty lonely :frowning2:

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #24 of 103
What's everyone listening too this fine Friday evening?

I'm loving this....

On this....

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #25 of 103
I am continually impressed every time I plug in my Fulla given its size and price. However, last night I was listening to this new addition, and that is by no means a complaint. 
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #26 of 103
Thinking about going old school for this meet up - Pioneer SX-780 receiver or SA-6500II amp and a Thorens TD-160 turntable (assuming I can get the new cartridge mounted and setup before then).

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 103
Thinking about going old school for this meet up - Pioneer SX-780 receiver or SA-6500II amp and a Thorens TD-160 turntable (assuming I can get the new cartridge mounted and setup before then).

Nice. Love to hear that Pulse X, though. :)

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 103
I had the opportunity to attend the Chicago Head-Fi Meet this past Saturday with zabzaf (Brian.)  Apparently it was their 9th meet.  It was organized by a high end audio store located in downtown Chicago's Hyatt Regency Hotel.  The store's name was Tweak Studio.  

The venue was very nice.  A higher end hotel with all the amenities located in the building, the atmosphere was perfect for an afternoon of learning and listening.  Got a chance to demo a lot of nice equipment.  You can read about it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777139/official-chicago-august-8-2015-impression-thread

But that's not why I'm writing!  I'm writing to get you guys excited about our DETROIT AREA meet on Sept 19th, 2015 in Pleasant Ridge!  For those of you who are not sure where Pleasant Ridge is, it is close to Royal Oak.  The main crossroads are 11 mile/I 696 and Woodward.  If you've been to or seen the Detroit Zoo water tower, you've driven through Pleasant Ridge.

So let's get a response going on this thread.  Who's coming to the meet next month and what are you planning to bring?  We need to know so that we can make sure we have the proper tables, outlets, etc.  

I"ll start:  

I'm coming....Senn HD 650, Senn HD 598, Hifiman HE 400, Schitt Bifrost, Schist Lyr, Macbook with Amarra  (May change if I decide to get J River)

Who's next!??!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back