South Florida Summer 2005 meet
Jun 10, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #151 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
If the only topic worth discussing from that meet is the balanced topology then I will drop out of this thread...

Then do.

Quote:

My recommendation is to start another thread and move all posts to that thread so that this remains a meet impressions thread.

As I've stated above, I've reviewed the thread carefully, and disagree. There is no magic formula about what can and cannot be discussed in meet impression threads. While I agree as a general principle that certain topics are better addressed via PM or in other threads, we can't be expected to micro manage each and every thread. There is nothing inappropriate being discussed in this thread, nor is any burden being imposed on the reader, who presumably - having read the thread once already - wouldn't need to reread it again and again. Click on "last page" next time you check in, and problem solved.

Quote:

I dont want to post pictures and videos after 10 pages of balanced amplification.

Then don't.

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #152 of 188
Paid Hirschizer a visit last night....

I am sure he had a "late" night of listening last night.... The amp is something else, not only as a visual paramount, but it is has an astounding sound. A real treat to the audible sense. The FL impressions are quite on target for this amp.

I've owned the hd650s for a while, yet I never heard them sound that good. Hirsch's 010 qualia sound much dynamic and fuller, their "echoid" nature almost dissipated. I am looking forward to hearing the RS1/PS1 in a balanced form.

Man, it is hard to return to my set up after hearing that....

On a related topic to this thread. Could anyone comment on the Berendsen CDP-1 and how does it compare to the 508.24 that was at the meet. I have been curious about this one-box...

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #153 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
On a related topic to this thread. Could anyone comment on the Berendsen CDP-1 and how does it compare to the 508.24 that was at the meet. I have been curious about this one-box...

I don't know if anyone had the opportunity to a/b the 2 cdp's. I've heard the 508.24 on a number of occasions but never with the idea of evaluating it. I will say this, knowing that a number of the 508.24 come up on audiogon from time to time, when it was time for me to buy a high end (by my standards) cdp, I chose the Berendsen CDP-1. While there was not a lot of information available on it I know that it was an upgraded version of the Gamut CD-1 (built by Berendson). I've read a lot about the Gamut and knew that it has consistently rated as a class A product by Stereophile. The cdp is musical, detailed and gives me the sense that I am hearing more of the information on the disc then I hear through other sources I've heard.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #154 of 188
yeah the Berendsen was really really nice. I really only heard it through that craptastic Veda Audio amp (Guru dropped off the thread did he not? :p )

Also to Tom Hankins the Singlepower SDS-XLR amp was set up with Mikhail's Meridian for most of the day. It was in the last hour or so that several people wanted to hear the SCD1 with it.

MikeG my comments on the Orpheus VS. 650 are much less involved than Guru's but I will say that I heard things that almost made me cry from that Orpheus/Stax combo. Things as simple as a cello where the full deep body was present, rather than the upper scratch and enough harmonics for your ear to reconstruct the root tone. Simply amazing headphones and I'm sure their own amp or something like an egmont/blue hawaii would only make it better. If you're at all thinking of changing out your R-10/SDS combo I can say right now that I'll be begging you to let me come in your house and listen.

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #155 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Tom - Since you have both an SDS and a Balanced SDS-XLR, do you plan to restrict your headphone "quality" to using the HD650/Zu-XLR with the Balanced SDS-XLR amp? Are you also looking into using a modded Qualia with this amp. (i.e., like Hirsch)? In your opinion, is it possible to mod an R10 for use with a Balanced SDS-XLR, and if so, do you think that there would be a dramatic improvement versus the SDS/R10 combo?

I have not heard the R10, so I have no idea what differences would be made running the phones balanced. However the HD650, and (according to both Hirsch and ayt999) the Qualias are both taken to another level as far speed, dynamics and headstage are concerned.

CD44hi, The PS-1 with ultra wide bandwith reference cable sound very good with the SDS-XLR amp. Next to the HP1000 the best I have heard Grados sound. (Iwould love to hear the HP2's run balanced with this amp) They still do not sound as good as the HD650/Zu-XLR to me though.
The RS1....I cant get into. They should be at Hirschs by Sat. or Monday at the latest. You should plan another trip over there in the near future.
icon10.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #156 of 188
Thanks for the thoughts on the Berendsen. I need to upgrade my digital section. I have been thinking about a new DAC for the meridian transport. Obviously, another option is just to let the two box configuration go, in favor of a one box unit. I guess, auditioning a variety of mid-high-end players (or high end equipment in general) is most difficult to almost impossible. So any information that just prevents blind leaps of faith, is quite valuable. THanks again. I will keep the berendsen in mind.

Tom,
I am looking forward to listening to those balanced cans in Hirsch's set up soon. If not this weekend, it will be next during the meet.

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #157 of 188
Matt - Thanks for your enthusiastic comments regarding the Orpheus, but getting it is probably still several years off. I'll keep you in mind if I ever think of transferring my SDS/R10 combo, however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
MikeG my comments on the Orpheus VS. 650 are much less involved than Guru's but I will say that I heard things that almost made me cry from that Orpheus/Stax combo. Things as simple as a cello where the full deep body was present, rather than the upper scratch and enough harmonics for your ear to reconstruct the root tone. Simply amazing headphones and I'm sure their own amp or something like an egmont/blue hawaii would only make it better. If you're at all thinking of changing out your R-10/SDS combo I can say right now that I'll be begging you to let me come in your house and listen.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #158 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Matt - Thanks for your enthusiastic comments regarding the Orpheus, but getting it is probably still several years off. I'll keep you in mind if I ever think of transferring my SDS/R10 combo, however.

Mike ... you are quite safe with your SDS - R10 rig vis a vis the Balanced SDS - Balanced HD650 (at least to my ears). I would go with SDS + R10 every time. The Balanced SDS + Balanced HD 650 is special, to be sure, but not the be all, end all imho. In fact, the sheer size and heft of the Balanced SDS with separate power supply (of equal size to the amp), made me immediately think, "this is the Hummer of head amps" - it's that out of proportion to anything else. On that count, I had an immediate negative reaction to the beast.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds absolutely wonderful, and Mikhail has surely pushed the envelope in building it. I just knew that for me, it was way over the top, and did not appeal to me at all because of that. I would love the chance to hear it next to a Blockhead, as I remember my absolutely "wow" reaction when I heard a Blockhead with balanced cabled HD650's and RS-1's at the Leesville meet. I think the balanced SDS is at least equal to, perhaps different, but not necessarily better than the Blockhead - only a side by side would let me decide.

Perhaps this will put it in perspective: Compared to other can - amp combos at the meet, for me, #1 was unquestionably the Orpheus from the Stax 007t and Sony SCD1 - pure headphone bliss; #2 was the R10's from the Raptor and Micromega T-Drive/T-dac; #3 was a tie between the HD650's from the Balanced SDS and Sony SCD1; and the Omega II's from the Stax 007t and Sony SCD1.

Of course, others listening experiences and opinions will vary, but based on what I heard, I'd take an HE90 headphone and Stax 007t amp in a heartbeat over the Balanced, 2 box SDS and Balanced HD650 - not even close.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #159 of 188
Just a word of caution, I had the Orpheus with a modded Black Gate caps KGSS from Justin, and the whole bottom spectrum (under 200 ohms), was missing. According to Justin, it is made specifically for the Omega II's, but he can mod the KGSS to accomodate the Orpheus.

If this chatter goes more than 2 pages, we might need to start a separate Orheus thread, so it doesn't interfere with the impressions thread (just busting your chops Guru)
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #160 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Just a word of caution, I had the Orpheus with a modded Black Gate caps KGSS from Justin, and the whole bottom spectrum (under 200 ohms), was missing. According to Justin, it is made specifically for the Omega II's, but he can mod the KGSS to accomodate the Orpheus.

I have the same Black Gated KGSS from Justin. Are you saying it will sound awful with an HE90? I use mine with the Omega II but would sure want to use the same amp for an HE90 someday (I can dream too!). Could you elaborate on this?

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #161 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker

Interesting. I'd imagine something similiar could be done with other electrostatic headphones.

Gosh, how do we ever know what component we are actually listening to
confused.gif
?

Looks & sounds like you guys had a helluva meet. Congrats!

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #162 of 188
I was completely enamored by the sound of the SDS and the SCD-1and HD650 ,but if I had to choose between an SDS and an Orpheus,it's no contest(Orpheus).I am in complete agreement with Gene(agile one) that the best sound I heard was from the SCD-1/007stax/Orpheus.I'm not in any way saying that the SCD-1 was the best player there,but nothing touched it's SACD performance and with th Orpheus/Stax combo it was unreal.I went to this meet looking for an amp and now all I can think about is an Orpheus.Damn you wmcmanus,Gary.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #163 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
I was completely enamored by the sound of the SDS and the SCD-1and HD650 ,but if I had to choose between an SDS and an Orpheus,it's no contest(Orpheus).I am in complete agreement with Gene(agile one) that the best sound I heard was from the SCD-1/007stax/Orpheus.I'm not in any way saying that the SCD-1 was the best player there,but nothing touched it's SACD performance and with th Orpheus/Stax combo it was unreal.I went to this meet looking for an amp and now all I can think about is an Orpheus.Damn you wmcmanus,Gary.

I think we all have that, we love you Wayne, but we hate you, thing going becuase of the Orpheus. Those cans are special. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I felt that the Orpheus/007 was the combo to be beat.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #164 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I think we all have that, we love you Wayne, but we hate you, thing going becuase of the Orpheus. Those cans are special. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I felt that the Orpheus/007 was the combo to be beat.

As great as the combo of Stax 007t/He90 (Orpheus headphone) sounded, we should say that we are all just a bunch of Florida Crackers, and the 007t was all we can afford, so apologies to all you who have Blue Hawaii's, KGSS's, or whatever other exotic electrostatic amps that many think better. In the paraphrased words of Stephen Stills, "we danced with the one we were with", and quite the lovely dance it was.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #165 of 188
Gene - Thanks alot for your comments regarding my R10/SDS combo. Although there's some disagreement regarding the excellence of the R10, Qualia, etc., there is essentially complete agreement regarding the excellence of the Orpheus. I wish that some reps from Sennheiser would attend some of our meets, and also keep up with Head-Fi threads, in order to conclude that it's time to market the Orpheus again, but hopefully at a lower cost. I think that there is a significant high-end market for it. BTW, I'm sorry see that Guru is planning to "leave our fold." Please read his entry number 11 in the following thread:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back