South Florida Summer 2005 meet
Jun 11, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #166 of 188
Agile_one>I read your post with great interest. I have the he60 and while not the he90, it's all I wanted to stop me getting a he90.

I have the KGSS and 007t. I am currently deciding on what to do with them both in regards to my headphone setups. I haven't spent anytime with the KGSS and 007t or the Omega 2's. The he60's I like. It's a little bright for my taste's BUT I sent it to another headfier to play with.

Out of the KGSS he did not like it as it was too bright for him. But with the 007t it sung like a canary. The opposite was true with the Omega 2's and he felt that the Omega 2's performed better with the KGSS. It's more to do with synergy than the technical aspects of the phones.

My dilemma is that i suspect that the he90's would perform better for me with the 007t. I also read immtbikers latest post with regards to the KGSS.

The he90 monster has been fired up again.

I am pretty sure the R-10's will be going as I don't "get" it. The only thing stopping me selling it now is that I have the EMP anniv. The R-10's are in Ottawa and I need to partner them to see if my perception of the R-10's hold true.

Oh and No.4 for the B's is the greatest player to stick on a pair of skates. "Mr. Slots" good player but then again I would look good playing if No.4 was my linemate.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #167 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The he90 monster has been fired up again.

I am pretty sure the R-10's will be going as I don't "get" it. The only thing stopping me selling it now is that I have the EMP anniv. The R-10's are in Ottawa and I need to partner them to see if my perception of the R-10's hold true.

Oh and No.4 for the B's is the greatest player to stick on a pair of skates. "Mr. Slots" good player but then again I would look good playing if No.4 was my linemate.

The HE90 is just one excellent headphone. It sounded unlike any other headphone I've heard.

I know an excellent partners for the r10, me and my Raptor.

No. 4 only played for them for 2 seasons (assuming I am thinking of the right No. 4).

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #168 of 188
Quote:

I have the KGSS and 007t. I am currently deciding on what to do with them both in regards to my headphone setups. I haven't spent anytime with the KGSS and 007t or the Omega 2's. The he60's I like. It's a little bright for my taste's BUT I sent it to another headfier to play with.

Out of the KGSS he did not like it as it was too bright for him. But with the 007t it sung like a canary. The opposite was true with the Omega 2's and he felt that the Omega 2's performed better with the KGSS. It's more to do with synergy than the technical aspects of the phones.

From Dr. Gilmore's Headwize projects library article, it appears the KGSS has been voiced for the Omega IIs. Since the Omega IIs are dark phones to begin with, and Dr. Gilmore may have tweaked the KGSS so that the O2s have the "right amount" of treble sparkle, anything else plugged into the KGSS will probably sound a tad on the bright side. This probably explains why I don't find the O2s that dark. Just guessing.

The HE90 must be really something special when paired with its own amp.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #169 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
The HE90 must be really something special when paired with its own amp.

Oh ya, you can say that again!

Unfortunately, I didn't do any listening to the HE90/007t system at the meet. In retrospect, I should have given it at least 5 minutes because I never did have a chance to hear them together before I sold my 007t.

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #170 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
The HE90 is just one excellent headphone. It sounded unlike any other headphone I've heard.

I know an excellent partners for the r10, me and my Raptor.

No. 4 only played for them for 2 seasons (assuming I am thinking of the right No. 4).

I bought the he60 to curb my he90's ambitions. But I have a feeling it won't hold off for long.

Hang on a sec don't you have a set of headphones to play with?

Dude, No.4 is Bobby Orr. Mr slots was no 7. Even then you measticks let the Canadiens let them get their 4th successive stanley cup. looks like the curse was still in action then until you signed practically the whole edmonton oilers team to "win" the cup in 94. Mind you great save on Bure by Richter.

Jun 12, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #171 of 188
Quote:

I bought the he60 to curb my he90's ambitions. But I have a feeling it won't hold off for long.

Hang on a sec don't you have a set of headphones to play with?

Dude, No.4 is Bobby Orr. Mr slots was no 7. Even then you measticks let the Canadiens let them get their 4th successive stanley cup. looks like the curse was still in action then until you signed practically the whole edmonton oilers team to "win" the cup in 94. Mind you great save on Bure by Richter.

You said No. 4 in your post, didn't you. I know who Bobby Orr is, "meatstick". Yes, I am listening to a very sweet pair of these:
Berendsen161.jpg

Mike that was very nice of you, how did you know my birthday was coming up. My wife still can't believe you are so generous. Truly one of the great headfiers.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #172 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
You said No. 4 in your post, didn't you. I know who Bobby Orr is, "meatstick". Yes, I am listening to a very sweet pair of these

Mike that was very nice of you, how did you know my birthday was coming up. My wife still can't believe you are so generous. Truly one of the great headfiers.
evil_smiley.gif

Phil Esposito played for the Rangers after he was traded from the Bruins to the Rangers. He retired in 1980. He did display flashes of his Boston greatness but it never took the rangers to the promised land. When he retired he was the all time goal leader in a season and the all time points leader in a season. They were broke by the "the overated one"...

Sorry I couldn't get them in time to you for the meet. Anyway enjoy your birthday pressie meatstick....

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #173 of 188
Quote:

Phil Esposito played for the Rangers after he was traded from the Bruins to the Rangers. He retired in 1980. He did display flashes of his Boston greatness but it never took the rangers to the promised land. When he retired he was the all time goal leader in a season and the all time points leader in a season. They were broke by the "the overated one"...

Sorry I couldn't get them in time to you for the meet. Anyway enjoy your birthday pressie meatstick....

I will try to ship out tomorrow. When should I expect the electrostatic stuff.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #174 of 188
Remember when Bobby Orr fell down on the ice when being introduced during the All-Star game? That was almost as funny as a Miss America falling down the steps while receiving her crown in the 80's...don't remember which one...only know that my stomach muscles are still pulled, from uncontrolled, lying on the floor laughing.
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #175 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Remember when Bobby Orr fell down on the ice when being introduced during the All-Star game? That was almost as funny as a Miss America falling down the steps while receiving her crown in the 80's...don't remember which one...only know that my stomach muscles are still pulled, from uncontrolled, lying on the floor laughing.
tongue.gif

I thought that was Phil Esposito in the canada V ussr game???

Not as good as steve smith own goal when Edmonton faced Calgary...

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #176 of 188
Quote:

I thought that was Phil Esposito in the canada V ussr game???

Not as good as steve smith own goal when Edmonton faced Calgary...

See you don't get all the games on ESPN Classic, but I remember Espo talking about it, when he color commentated for the Rangers.

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #177 of 188
Quote:

Just a word of caution, I had the Orpheus with a modded Black Gate caps KGSS from Justin, and the whole bottom spectrum (under 200 ohms), was missing. According to Justin, it is made specifically for the Omega II's, but he can mod the KGSS to accomodate the Orpheus.

I have a KGSS and HE90. I also have the Omega 2.

The bass is *most definitely* there! I have never heard of a KGSS that had "no bass under 200 [HERTZ]." I suspect there is something *very* wrong with the KGSS you have. If the bass is there with the Omega2, I suggest you send your HE90s in to Sennheiser, as there is something very wrong with them.

Bar miswiring, there is no reason in the world a KGSS would have *no* bass with the HE90s, voicing and capacitors or otherwise. Voicing will more subtly affect the sound, but if there is zero bass below 200 hertz -- there's something horribly wrong.

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #178 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I tried them both at the meet...undner less than ideal conditions with a budget TT (MMF5) and I preferred the XR-10. I dont know...maybe the settings were just a little bit off on the Herron (no otside adjustments possible) when applied to the MMF5. The sound was softer than what I would have expected to hear. It was still very nice though and I am sure it can be tweaked to individual carts.

If you are going for a table - go for a VPI Scout or straight up to the VPI-HRX..that table humbled me...told me I was a little little boy
eek.gif

Hello everyone!

I'm back from having a beautiful, healthy baby girl last week. Thanks to all who asked and expressed their well-wishes.

Now, if I may, I would like to offer some thoughts regarding the above comments for clarification purposes only. I sincerely hope none of it crosses any lines since I feel that if left unanswered, it would be a disservice to the product in question.

I did not have an opportunity to hear my loaner Herron VTPH-1 MM (moving magnet version) at the meet through Mike MMF-5 turntable, but I will say that there's always the slim possibility of an impedance mismatch between a pure tube phono and a solid stage line stage. I would have to get Ray's line stage specs and provide them to Keith Herron to be sure of this so for now this is purely speculation. But I have heard it happen before so I would be remiss if I didn't mention it.

Additionally, I can tell you that MM stage had not been used in months and it was only plugged into the AC outlet strip at about 1:00 p.m. when I left for the shop and noticed it hadn't been warming up since the opening hour at 9:00 or 8:00 a.m. But in reality folks, for this product to truly spread its wings it must be plugged/burned-in for at least 24 hours after each disconnect for its components to reach optimal thermal operating temperature which is when it sounds best.

And yes Guru (are you still here?), either Herron VTPS-1 (MM or MC) can be costumed ordered to suit each individual's needs as far as loading, gain, whatever. Just because it doesn't have switches on the front panel doesn't mean it isn't flexible. Keith Herron is a purist and feels any and all switches get in the way of the music. Less is more kinda attitude and I respect that.

Thirdly, as good an overachieving product the MMF-5 is, there's no denying that you did not push the limits of either kilo-buck phono stage driven by the same. In other words, they can only be as good as the source. This is akin to taking a Ferrari F40 and a Porsche 911 Carrera speeding down a muddy dirt road to then arrive to conclusions as to which supercar outperformed the other in one or several parameters. SURE, you can *STILL* have a preference, but that's all it can be, an extremely personal preference only to be considered under the *exact* set of limiting circumstances.

Another example that you guys can certainly relate to would be taking the simply awesome Sennheiser Orpheus & Stax Omega headsets and shooting them out through a cheap Realistic headphone amplifier -- if this were even possible with due cable adapters. This would kinda be unthinkable. Right?

In retrospect I wish we would have set up the comparisons -- through various headphones of different flavors -- at the shop through the VPI Scoutmaster/Dynavector 20X combo for a truer test of each phono's capabilities. Oh well, maybe next time.

Oh shoot, one more thing!!! As any of the people involved in the store's demo on Friday evening can attest to, the inexpensive 10 yr. old MIT interconnects used in the comparison are/were, in my humble opinion, not up to snuff. This alone could have had a HUGE bearing on the sonic impressions. Do any of the folks present at the shop Friday evening remember what happened to the sound once we removed the MITs and went back to the Soundstrings? It wasn't even close! It was two-dimensional and grainy with the MIT. Again, all these seemingly "innocent" factors affect the end result.

In any event, not trying to tell anyone what it is they heard, liked, or not, as I believe you have honestly reported on what you've heard or preferred.

Just want to make sure it is understood that these results only hold true for each listener within a *very specific* set of circumstances -- including, by the way -- whatever main headphone was being used. The headphones especially is rather important since a "soft sounding" headphone, combined
with flat sounding interconnect, combined with the Herron's utterly natural & smooth presentation could produce an artificially softer/unexciting sound.

Peace out!

Oz

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #179 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
I have a KGSS and HE90. I also have the Omega 2.
The bass is *most definitely* there! I have never heard of a KGSS that had "no bass under 200 [HERTZ]." I suspect there is something *very* wrong with the KGSS you have. If the bass is there with the Omega2, I suggest you send your HE90s in to Sennheiser, as there is something very wrong with them.
Bar miswiring, there is no reason in the world a KGSS would have *no* bass with the HE90s, voicing and capacitors or otherwise. Voicing will more subtly affect the sound, but if there is zero bass below 200 hertz -- there's something horribly wrong.

The setup that I used during a two week period, for at least 20 hours, was Bozebuttons', and after talking to him last night about this situation, he came to the conclusion that it was the drivers in the headphones. He has 2 pairs, and the other one doesn't exhibit the same dysfunction. After calling him a bad word for lending me that pair, for a once in a lifetime opportunity to have the Orpheus in my own home, he did say that the KGSS is definitely "voiced" for the Omegas, by Justin, and other amps or a modified KGSS would better suit it's purpose.

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #180 of 188
Quote:

he did say that the KGSS is definitely "voiced" for the Omegas, by Justin.

Or more accurately, the KGSS was voiced for the SR-007 by Kevin Gilmore when he created the design.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back