South Florida Mini Meet 1/7 impressions
Jan 8, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #16 of 224
I don't get the "scratch all the way across the faceplate" thing that 3 people have mentioned already. Ok, I get it, but can't it be replaced? Given the seemingly infinite and undefined waiting period for this amp, one would think it would have been delivered on a silver platter. Or at the very least, a replacement face panel can be arranged. Not trying to be as judgmental as I probably sound, but Gary exhibited a lot of patience throughout this deal. As I understand it, much of the delay was not within Justin's control, but the faceplate issue is surely something he'll be able to remedy once he's notified.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 224
can i play hooky from my NYC minimeet and come to yours? I think one of those IPAs would push me over the edge! great looking gear, can't wait to hear them at some meet in the future, looked like fun!

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get the "scratch all the way across the faceplate" thing that 3 people have mentioned already. Ok, I get it, but can't it be replaced? Given the seemingly infinite and undefined waiting period for this amp, one would think it would have been delivered on a silver platter. Or at the very least, a replacement face panel can be arranged. Not trying to be as judgmental as I probably sound, but Gary exhibited a lot of patience throughout this deal. As I understand it, much of the delay was not within Justin's control, but the faceplate issue is surely something he'll be able to remedy once he's notified.

It isn't really a scratch. It's more like a discoloration in the faceplate. I am sure it's a matter of just replacing it. It was a bit of a disappointment to see it considering the time it took to get the amp. I think those of us that have known Gary for a while felt bad for am considering everything. The amp was still a beautie and a winner in the sq department.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i play hooky from my NYC minimeet and come to yours? I think one of those IPAs would push me over the edge! great looking gear, can't wait to hear them at some meet in the future, looked like fun!

We would love to have you. There will be one next Sunday at my place, get your plane ticket. Jp and I are bottling an Alaskan Amber and Belgian Gold on Saturday. You can lend us a hand.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #19 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot about the G52/HD580 experiment. I have very little experience with the 580s but they were bass monsters with the G52. I keep forgetting to try the PRII. I used to have a PRI (Lindrone's - some old timers will remember him). At least I knew how to open it up. If I wasn't there that amp would still be in pieces.

Thanks for the vegan leftovers.
icon10.gif

Tis ok Ty...we can do the 580 experiment this coming sunday =)

I dunno...ive been testing my 580 stock cable vs the 650 stock cable and i have to say, there is a difference for sure between the two. I just cant place my finger on it. It just seems that the 650 cable give the 580s a tad bigger sound. I cant tell if i like it or not...sometimes yes and sometimes no. The 580 cable makes the bass sound alittle tighter in certain music...

Ohh god, upgraditis....im going to have to spring for a cable soon i think =) I cant decide...OMG.....DAC or SACD/Uni player or new cable.

However, i decided to change my source from my puter to my DVD player in my HT setup. It actually sounds really nice. Its a JVC XV-N50. This is making me want a really nice desktop type SACD player.

Cant wait for next weekend, same bat time....same bat place ...muahaha!!

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #20 of 224
I assume the few comments about the faceplate are referring to the wavy areas visible here that are a little brighter/darker in color:

silver_aristaeus.jpg

There is really not much, if anything, that I can do about that. This is due to slight variations in the composition of the aluminum alloy on those parts of the material. The polishing of the metal brings out any flaw, and then anodizing magnifies the appearance of any flaws even further. That was the best possible piece I could get in clear anodized. On black, variations like that aren't visible because the dye makes it a consistent color. Consider the difficulty of working with aluminum and that all of these parts were worked by hand. Only a certain level of "perfection" can realistically be obtained.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 8, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #21 of 224
Quote:

I think the faceplate WAS much of the delay. I agree with you. He's just happy to have it (and it does sound mighty fine), but in my opinion, it's not right, not right at all.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 224
What an amazing little meet you ll just had - I hate every one of you. It's quite special to have simultaneous coming outs of such significant pieces as Gary's Aristeaus, Vicki's Extreme, numb's Sig 30, all accompanied by those world class sources.

I see jpnums even had a stevieo-mobile there to transport stuff. You needed it with all that incredible gear there.

Glad my soon-to-be Esoteric dv50 was well received - thanks for the break in time.

My girl friends Xenia and Melinda look stunning as usual, and I can see big differences in Melinda - she's growing fast.

Oh well, the circus was ok - the clowns weren't as funny as all of you, but ok for professionals.

Great pics, too, thanks.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #23 of 224
Quote:

Nice to see Melinda again!

Quote:

She is a real cutie and has quite the personality.

This is Melinda's third meet, more than most headfiers out there. When Mike looked at her she made squeaking noises...kinda like a high-pitched, extended "eeek."

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #24 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What an amazing little meet you ll just had - I hate every one of you. It's quite special to have simultaneous coming outs of such significant pieces as Gary's Aristeaus, Vicki's Extreme, numb's Sig 30, all accompanied by those world class sources.

I see jpnums even had a stevieo-mobile there to transport stuff. You needed it with all that incredible gear there.

Glad my soon-to-be Esoteric dv50 was well received - thanks for the break in time.

My girl friends Xenia and Melinda look stunning as usual, and I can see big differences in Melinda - she's growing fast.

Oh well, the circus was ok - the clowns weren't as funny as all of you, but ok for professionals.

Great pics, too, thanks.

I think I just took the lead and next week it will increase.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I need to save up for an Ayre C-5xe and then it's off to Sarasota for the DV-50. Steely Dan Gaucho in DVD-A sounds amazing.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #25 of 224
DVD-A did sound pretty nice. I would love to hear that on a surround sound system. Just to see how nice it really is.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DVD-A did sound pretty nice. I would love to hear that on a surround sound system. Just to see how nice it really is.

This was the first time hearing the DVD-A of Gaucho. It really sounds amazing. I think I am a 2 channel guy for music so I don't have an interest in surround for music. You'll hear it Sunday. I think I have American Beauty - Grateful Dead, Medeski, Martin & Wood - Uninvisible, Ray Brown - Soular Energy and The Beatles - Love DVD-A's on the way. Hopefully they will be here in time for next weekend.

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #27 of 224
How many Head-Fi'ers were in attendance at this meet? If the number is greater than 6, I'll have to concede to having missed my first official South Florida Head-Fi meet. I will no longer be the undefeated reigning champion of all things headphone along the Aligotor Alley corridor! Being that I don't live there, this shouldn't be such a hard concession speech to make, but somehow I'm a bit saddened to have missed it.

The magic number of 6 is with reference to our first South Florida Head-Fi meet, held in December 2003 in Clearwater FL and hosted by the now inactive younger who appropriately dubbed himself as "Matt" when registering his Head-Fi account. I always thought that was creative.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54150

Talk about a blast from the past! On the first page, I asked for a moderator to move the thread. How cool.

In attendance were: Matt, Sewer Guy (Bill), gsferrari (Guru), agile_one (Gene), rsaavedra (Raul), and myself. Other than Gene and I (and occasionally Raul), everyone else seems to have dropped out of sight.

Waxing nostolgic, there are a couple of things that strike me about this thread. One is that the enthusiam level (for me anyway) was at an all time high since is was my first meet. In fact, I brought 2 very large boxes filled with as many sources, amps, and headphones as I could possibly fit and still be under the 70 pound weight limit for check in baggage. That's 70 pounds each! They were actually 69 and 66 as I recall. Neither of these boxes (and we're talking BIG boxes) had any handles, so I punched holes in the sides of them such that I could lift them off the ground for long enough to manage to prop them up on the airport push carts.

It was raining heavily in Miami when my flight arrived, and both boxes got soaked to the point of being soggy. Thankfully, none of the gear got damaged (at least not at that point) because everything was packed in inner boxes (i.e., there were many boxes within the big boxes). I actually missed my scheduled flight because of the time it took to pack everything prior to getting in the car like a sensible man would have to begin with. But that would have meant leaving most of the gear behind.

It's a great memory to now reflect back on. I never once (at that time) gave any serious consideration to leaving the sources and amps behind; having all of my stuff there really did "make" the meet and everyone was extremely kind and thankful for my efforts.

After a couple more meets, however, I had learned not to overpromise, and also that sources, amps, and airplanes do not mix well. One of my Shanling players got damaged at the meet that Sewer Guy hosted some time later due to getting tossed around by the baggage thugs. So that was that. I can still bring headphones because they fit in my carryon luggage.

Thankfully, our Florida group has now grown considerably and there is no longer a need for all of this gear anyway. In fact, during the past 3 or 4 meets, I've had a hard time getting around to listen to all of the gear that is there already!

The other thing that I noticed in this thread is that "back in the day" we spent a lot of time thanking each other, be it the host, the guy who brought lot of nice stuff, the guy who pointed out where the bathrooms were, or whatever. Of course there will always be a place for common courtesy, but it's nice that we all know each other well enough now to say, "It was really great seeing everyone again. Ok, now for impressions..." I think the awards ceremony can be distracting, especially for those who are looking in on the fun but were not able to attend.

Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the next one. This must be what it feels like when you lose your first fight (not that I've ever lost one, mind you... I'm still undefeated in that category).
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #29 of 224
Quote:

I think I've taken the lead. There were 8 or 9 in attendance. There is another one at my place this coming Sunday.

Ohhh...ty its at your house or Jp's? Last i heard was the same bat place =)

At least if you go to your house...we can enjoy some Football (no sound of course).

Also saves me a trip coming to pick up those cables from you. I really do think the 650 cable makes a difference on my 580s. I will let you test it on sunday with the DV.

Ohh my gawd!!! i love the sound of tubes. Im soooooo happy right now, my face hurts from smiling :650smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back