South Florida Mini Meet 1/7 impressions
Jan 7, 2007 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 224

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Ok I know the meet is not until tomorrow but we had a micro mini mmet the night before.

Vickie was nice enough to bring her beautifull SinglePower Extreme Platinium amp over tonight and we got to do some listening.

This amp is really something special, I had CDP difficulties so we used her MiniMax and for headphones some AD 2000s and AKG340. We'll get better impressions going tomorrow but look out for this amp in the thread!

Jan 7, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 224
It's nice to have an accomodating friend 20 mins away. I just had to share this amp with someone after listening alone all afternoon.

So, no hallway surfers or all night listening sessions this time. The meet began with a delicious vegan dinner and tea. Sorry if we disappointed anyone here.

The music, though, was as good as always
340smile.gif
More tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot my K1000s so no Sig 30 impressions other than with the Omega speakers. Worth a whole separate meet. Again, more tomorrow.

Jan 7, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSCN0834-1.jpg

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650-Cardas008.jpg

650-Cardas007.jpg

650-Cardas004.jpg

You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves posting up all this p*rn and making poor shlubs like me feel jealous.
mad.gif
Given that this was from your planning thread, I can't even imagine what smut you will throw up after tomorrow.
very_evil_smiley.gif
[Plus, if I ever hear Johnny Nums saying that Sig 30 is anything less than drop-dead-gorgeous--even without the matching speaks--I am going to pop him in the eye.]

Have fun everyone! It goes without saying, but I wish I was there!

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 224
After this pic, I resign as meet photographer. I feel like I disrespected both the Extreme and the Wadia.
frown.gif
Where's Tyll with his glamour shots when you need him! At least you can get an idea of scale. The Extreme is pretty small (except for that transformer!) and about 18 lbs. The Signature 30 is surprisingly small as well.

DSCN0846.jpg

Since I left the Extreme at John's last night, I've been listening to the Larocco this morning. It's pretty sweet too. I'm packing it up now.

John, those baby foamies you gave me for the Etys are perfect. Finally, a nice seal and comfort!

See y'all in a couple hours.

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 224
im just packing up my car right now... but man, i was just listening... and like curt cobain sais on track 6 of the unplugged cd "I think I'm done.."

as soon as i finish the last remaining things on my amp, i think im done... i dont think audio can sound better without spending some mega $$$ i dont have... but it dosent matter, what i have sounds incredible... if i close my eyes it sounds like i am really there and gives me goose bumps...

i think i owe it to my HE60's to build a proper electrostatic amp, but i think thats the only real marker i have left to do on my head-fi journey... i will still hang out here religiously of course tho
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 224
Great meet guys....everything sounded awesome.

Thanks to boom for my new toy and other new toys (not mine) to play with.

Thanks a TON to john for letting us use his place. It was packed in there with awesome gear. I got there and my mouth dropped to the floor.

Again, was a great bunch of people together today. Met a few new faces (Seabreeze is a kewl guy, his wife/GF was also very nice).

Was awesome to see baby Melinda again. She is soooooo cute....i just want to squeeze her cheeks for a hour =)

Pics and thoughts of gear coming soon. Just got home and need unpack and get some clothes in the washer. I say in a few hours you see the pics.

Jan 7, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 224
Just some quick thoughts

First off thanks for all for coming down and having a great time!!

Man the Aristatus was magnificent sounding and was everything you would think it would be sonincally. Great detail and bass to die for. The amp looked great as well except one quibble. There was an imperfection in the faceplate that ran the entire lenght of the unit. So sonically I have to give it a 10/10 but that faceplate imprefection should probably be addressed. Gary this amp was worth the wait Justin made a great sounding amp. PS thanks for letting me baby sit it for the week
orphsmile.gif

Mike brough his new toy the Esoteric DV50 universal player and this was a fine unit. On redbook it was just about as good as the other megabuck players that were out there and on some songs was betters. It's abilityy to play SACD and DVDa make it a killer unit. When you compare the redbook from the other players to the SACD I'll take the SACD layer. Ont he few DVD audios we had they sounded great as well.

SeeBreeze and his wife were our new addition and they are great people. Thye brought the Opus 21 modded by GNSC and it rocked. It presented a beatifull sound that was full yet nimble. Meet are brutal to test sources as the SoFLo crew are talkitive and loud. Even in that environment it was clear this should be a top choice as a source.

Frank had his balanced dyna and a micromega stage 2 cdp that has gone through a few mods that as the former owner of the player take it from a so so source to a top flight source. He can better explain what he did but we put ti through its paces with nirvana to coletrane and it sounded great. The rig sounded great with the beyer 880 balanced.

There was more gear to comment on but I am just worn out. I did get my Red Wine Audio Sig 30 and it is the best I have heard my k1000s. Frank did a great job rewiring them at the meet , thanks they sound great.

Anyone looking for a k1000 amp solution should give these a try.

Jan 8, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 224
Thanks John for hosting. As always it was a great time! I think the highlight for me was listening to John's speaker rig. He added the Red Wine Audio Signature 30 amp and it looks and sounds amazing with his Omega Superhemps. We are having another mini meet at my house next weekend. I can't wait to hear it in my speaker rig. His vinyl rig is so dialed in. It just sounds amazing. The RWA Sig 30 is as good an amp for the K1000 as I've heard. Vinnie really has a winner with this amp.

The next highlight was the Headamp Aristaeus/HE90. Wow, that amp is drop dead gorgeous, with the exception of the imperfection in the faceplate jp described above. The sound is about as good as it gets. I haven't heard the HE90s through the ES-1 or Orpheus since the National Meet so I can't say how it compares. I would venture a guess that it would give them a run for the money. Justin has himself a fine addition to the Headamp family.

I finally got some time with flecom's Dyna-Mite and it sounds great with his balanced DT800's and modded cdp. This is the first time I saw the amp ready to go and without any issues. It just sounds great.

I had a chance to compare the Opus 21 modded by Great Northern, Ayre C-7xe and Esoteric DV-50. Each offer redbook playback that would easily satisfy my needs in that regard. The Ayre and Esoteric were mine and I have to admit I was rooting for the Esoteric as it will read any format. The Opus was excellent and smaller than I expected despite being a two box system. Having the abilty to play DVD-A, Sacd and Redbook in one box gave the Esoteric the edge. It will be the perfect intermediate step to possibly moving up to the Ayre C-5xe.

Here are some pics from the mini meet:

650-Cardas004-1.jpg

650-Cardas005.jpg

650-Cardas003-1.jpg

650-Cardas002-2.jpg

650-Cardas009.jpg

650-Cardas008-1.jpg

650-Cardas007-1.jpg

650-Cardas010.jpg

650-Cardas011.jpg

650-Cardas012.jpg

650-Cardas013.jpg

650-Cardas015.jpg

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 224
Looks like you guys really had fun. The Aristaeus looks gorgeous!

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you guys really had fun. The Aristaeus looks gorgeous!

It is and we did. I took the pics and I am not much of a photographer. They definitely do not do it justice.

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 224
Nice to see Melinda again!

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 224
Here are some more pics. I have to admit...I really loved both the HE90s and the HE60s. I got to do a good listen to both of them while swapping back and forth with Flecom. I have to say that that Aristaeus with either the HE90/60 was just INSANE. The HE90s seem just to have a slightly bigger sound to it. Since the 60 was alittle smaller in this department, it made it sound almost more clear then the 90s.

I was also really impressed at the AT AD2000s? I going to have to see if i can pick up a pair to give a good few hours of listening.

I really loved Boom's extreme with her 340s. As soon as i got there, this was the first thing i saw and sat right down at it. Boom quickly got me up and running. Very nice amp, clean sounding...not harsh at all. Also her Larocco with Jp's Cryo dock was a great match. Just by going to the line out from the headphone is such a nice difference with a Ipod. It was basically a night and day difference between the two.

Also, Flecom's DynoMITE!!! was great. It didnt smoke or pop or blow up either , thank god =) HAHA, jk...its amazing how long he has spent on that amp. I can just look at it and see that he must of spent countless amount of hours on it. It just sounds soo nice...was really amazing how much power that thing has.

p3110966mediumio0.jpg

p3110967mediumtl1.jpg

p3110968mediumzo4.jpg

p3110969mediumdr0.jpg

p3110970mediumqg8.jpg

p3110971mediumen0.jpg

p3110972mediumtv0.jpg

p3110973mediumqg9.jpg

p3110974mediumfm6.jpg

p3110976mediumer6.jpg

p3110977mediumwq7.jpg

p3110979mediumjk4.jpg

p3110980mediumsw5.jpg

Ohh...and i didnt come home empty handed. Thanks to Boom for selling me the DV336i. Also thanks again to Boom for loaning me her Heed/woody340s/various cables to give me something to test against.

So far, i really love my DV...it really depends..but to my ears the DV just sounds soo much nicer then the Heed. Its much more warm, easy listening sound. The Heed sounds fantastic...but its almost too much detail to it. However, i do like the tight bass on the Heed. Its really hard to pick...but if i had a gun to my head right now, id pick the DV. Just cause i love the warm sound.

Ohh god...soo hard to decide which to pick....im going back and forth playing the same music, one right after another.

p3120986largeus3.jpg

Jan 8, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 224
Why is it that we can never get enough listening in over a 6-hr period? To say that this crowd is gabby is an understatement. Well, I'm guilty too.
Most of my impressions come from last night when it was just John and I gabbing and listening.

The Extreme Platinum is an amazing amp. As I think I mentioned in another post, the little thing that most impressed me was how it drove the K340s. I have the Heed Canamp and had, until today, the Darkvoice 336i. Both amps drive the K340s extremely well and I have nothing but good to say. Yet with the Extreme, I had the volume so low it was barely audible, and I could still hear every detail with no loss of fullness...that was something new! I always had the volume turned up a bit (not seriously loud, but medium loud) to real get a sense of what these headphones can do. Not so now. Also listened with John's AD2000s. Not my favorite cans (a little too bright and airy for my tastes), but with the Extreme, the soundstage was huge, and in John's words, it felt like the music was walking around you. K1000s sound great, but I haven't yet spent too much time with them....just got the amp yesterday, and that will just happen later. Unfortunately, just how things go at meets, only John and Dominic (Highlife) had the chance to listen to it. We took it away, went on to other things, borrowed the tubes to put in Dominic's new Darkvoice, and that was that. We'll have to have another meet with fewer toys.

John's Signature 30 is a really impressive amp with the Omega speakers. As far as it's fame for driving K1000s, who knows? The gab fest in every corner prevented any quality listening. John's listening right now since everyone left, and he can post more later. I'd like to have a K1000, Sig 30, Extreme meet later on this or next month with duck tape on everyones' mouths.

Gary's HE90/Aristaeus is pretty impressive, but I can't say I got much listening time (too many amp hogs), nor do I have much experience with HE90s and amps to make comments other than, "When do I get to hear them again?" It's also gorgeous, better than in pics. The faceplate, though, came with a tiny scuff mark across it, that, in my opinion, now being a bit petty, really takes away from what is otherwise an impecable beauty. The most memorable listening here was with on Lou Rhodes title track on Beloved One. As Mike said, you could almost hear the spit going through the flute. Well, that doesn't sound too pretty, but it was (my new fav cd anyway).

Finally got to listen to Frank's dynamite and the modded micromega he'd been working on. Really nice. Listened to both balanced and unbalanced. Had his 880s, but the highs hurt my hears. It rocked my K340s. Real clean. I would love to spend more time with this amp/cdp when all those other pesky folk weren't around.
icon10.gif

Finally, it's funny how the things you always plan on listening to never happen (comparing all those amazing sources AND with my Extreme), and the smallest thing ends up blowing you away. I'd always wondered why people posted about putting the HD650 cables on the 580s. I thought, why the hell not replace it with an Equinox or some such? Joe (Seabreeze...great guy...great wife too) actually thought to do it. Put my G52s on my 580s and ran it with my Larocco and ipod with John's ALO cryo dock. There was a night and day difference. I always thought that I wished for something sonically between the 580s and 650s (which is why I never got rid of either), but the cable switch may have done it for me. I suddenly couldn't believe the sound I was getting from this cheap little combo. Prior to the cable shift, it was just very nice. I'll have to give this more time before I reach any real conclusion, but the 650s may not be getting much time for awhile. The Darth Beyers also sounded great with the Larocco. The bass was not overpowering, but just right on Zeppelin's Black Dog.

Checked out Highlife's Zen/Go-Vibe. He'd picked up the amp for $40 and changed opamps. Though no where near the Larocco, the Hornet, or even the Tomahawk, I thought is was a great little amp for the price and can understand why so many people like it.

As usual, great people. And, thank you, again, John, for letting us all invade your home. Check your oven. Did I turn it off? Seriously. Check it. I don't remember.

That's it for now. I've gotta grade papers. BTW, I just got off the phone with Mikhail. My amp's gonna go back for a couple more tweaks...blackgate outputs this time and...then I'm done...really...I am...definitely kinda certain about that...a little sure....but I do want hear that Opus again...and Frank did a really nice job recabling John's K1000s...

Oh, one more thing. Need to hear the Esoteric again (source hogs this time). I only got to listen to one song from How The West Was Won (ended up a Zeppelin day). Super.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 224
I forgot about the G52/HD580 experiment. I have very little experience with the 580s but they were bass monsters with the G52. I keep forgetting to try the PRII. I used to have a PRI (Lindrone's - some old timers will remember him). At least I knew how to open it up. If I wasn't there that amp would still be in pieces.

Thanks for the vegan leftovers.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back