South Florida Meet Impressions - 12/2/06
Dec 6, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #121 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread. Great meet. Seems like you Floridians are giving us NYers a run for our money
wink.gif

Jimmy ... <agile_one dons flameproof suit in anticipation of massive retaliation from Voltron and other west coast rowdies> it's an east coast thing
biggrin.gif
</flameproof suit>

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #122 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SDS should be arriving any time now, although Mikhail has not promised any particular date. With 5 tubes in the PSU and 6 in the amp section I have to get prepared anyway.
tongue.gif
I actually already received a number of voltage regulators and rectifiers from Mikhail, and man, they are some funky looking tubes! This is going to be fun!

I have to pay Larry and get in line for 5 weeks out or so. I am not doing wood accents--I want them to look old school except for the cable.

My new SDS-XLR PSU will have 8 tubes,three of them are voltage regulators
blink.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #123 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jimmy ... <agile_one dons flameproof suit in anticipation of massive retaliation from Voltron and other west coast rowdies> it's an east coast thing
biggrin.gif
</flameproof suit>

voltron_v2_8.jpg

Flameproof Suit? Ha! This guy had one of those. Too bad you didn't have a Five-Robot-Lions-With-Laser-Eyes-Proof suit!

You're not quite Agile enough to get outta this one Gene. We'll just have to see what you think about your "east coast thing" after we get done with you at the International Meet in April.
eek.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #124 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have vpivinylspinner's K340 with all the headfiled up grades(great headfier on loan), and my ballanced Supra is on the way by Christmas
biggrin.gif

I love the GO8/MPX3 (sylvania 6sn7gt and 6bx7's)/K340 can you comment on these ballanced? (K340) ie. big differance? more this less that.

Mark--I do not have the K340s balanced as yet, but I will certainly post impressions when I do and I will try to remember to shoot you a PM. If Vic's experience is any guide, you are going to love that balanced Supra. How big is the case? Mikeg's Supra is HUGE and has the biggest caps I have ever seen. BTW, Jeff is a great Head-Fier even if he keeps selling off his headphone gear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new SDS-XLR PSU will have 8 tubes,three of them are voltage regulators
blink.gif

Rob--Yeah, 3 of mine are regulators to allow voltage switching and 2 are rectifiers. I recall you saying that yours was going to be all tube, so what is the function of the other 3 again?

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #125 of 213
Quote:

Rob--Yeah, 3 of mine are regulators to allow voltage switching and 2 are rectifiers. I recall you saying that yours was going to be all tube, so what is the function of the other 3 again?

1 is a 6AU6 error correction tube.The other two are 6080/5998 regulators.

Mikhail will be supplying me some Bendix 6080 as well as others
eek.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #126 of 213
Quote:

Flameproof Suit? Ha! This guy had one of those. Too bad you didn't have a Five-Robot-Lions-With-Laser-Eyes-Proof suit!

The local Target was all out, but the Seven-Robot-Tigers-With-TractorBeam-Proof model that I already had has kept me safe. It was a close one, though.

Quote:

You're not quite Agile enough to get outta this one Gene. We'll just have to see what you think about your "east coast thing" after we get done with you at the International Meet in April.
eek.gif

Ooh, ooh, ooh (think Epstein from Welcome Back Kotter), we're all just sooooo scared.
eek.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #127 of 213
Quote:

The local Target was all out, but the Seven-Robot-Tigers-With-TractorBeam-Proof model that I already had has kept me safe. It was a close one, though.

Ooh, ooh, ooh (think Epstein from Welcome Back Kotter), we're all just sooooo scared.
eek.gif

Gene, he is just jealous that those west coasters can't get it done like us.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #129 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gene, he is just jealous that those west coasters can't get it done like us.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

It's not their fault, Mike. All that Brie and Pinot does things to your brain ...

You two are really pushin' it.
mad.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #130 of 213
Consider buying a used Denon 2900 off ebay for about $330, and then sending it to be modded by John Tucker at Exemplar Audio. The total cost of this outstanding universal CDP will be <$2,000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ps I am looking for thoughts on a top flight main rig cdp

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #131 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider buying a used Denon 2900 off ebay for about $330, and then sending it to be modded by John Tucker at Exemplar Audio. The total cost of this outstanding universal CDP will be <$2,000.

The exemplar 2900's often show up on audiogon for around $1600-$1700.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #132 of 213
But, if a unit is sent to John for modding, then you're more certain that it's optimized, as compared to buying an older already modded unit off audiogon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The exemplar 2900's often show up on audiogon for around $1600-$1700.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #133 of 213
here are a few of my impressions for what they are worth.

1st of all, a lot of you south floridians are sickos & your photoshop abilities are very good. There are exceptions, but i am not sure you even know who you are.

i did not like the zana deux out of the rega apollo cdp & it sounded harsh & digital. an outboard dac will correct the problem. i have had this problem with my rega apollo. the apollo is a great cdp if the amp is not revealing. we moved the zana deux to jp#’s ayre source & the zana deux warmed right up & proved to be an excellent amp for the hd-650 as well as the qualia with what ever tube set was in the amp. i love the ayre.

next up was my buddy from skokie & his balanced b52 (the bomber). i have to admit that the tube set was a real surprise with the qualia. one of the top qualia amps i have heard to date.

agile_one always surprises me. he hardly ever brings the same gear to two meets. this time he had a very cool looking ancient thorens tcd 2000 cdp hooked up to his earmax anniversary & it was a beautiful combo & sounded great with the ath-L3000’s. he also had a balanced headroom blockhead running from a laptop to some kind of dac i have never seen before & that was bad a**. also, he had an ath amp & assorted ath cans. i still liked the thorens tcd 2000 & earmax anniversary amp with the ath cans over the ath amp.

tyll from headroom had a balanced desktop side-by-side with an unbalanced desktop. balanced made a difference & for those who can not afford a balanced blockhead may want to consider the balanced desktop. but the killer for me was the new diamond buffered micro amp with the newest version desktop modules. real diamonds? i have always thought that the micro amp was the best portable amp in production. i use mine exclusively with my UE10-Pro micro amp & ipod. it never leaves my flight bag. but, comparing the new micro amp with the old micro amp provided a new world of low level volume detail & resolution that could only be achieved by turning up the volume on the older model. hopefully, i can now extend my deteriorating hearing.

since mikeG was being neurotic about warm-up time on the exemplar modded denon 2900 i went to the other end of the room.

i listened to boomana’s rig which consisted of a $300 darkvoice chinese tube amp with stock tubes connected to an ipod which i reconnected to her eastern mini max cdp with also with stock tubes using rca splitters. it sounded ok. also, a heed ss amp was also sounded pretty good running off the splitters. i am familiar with akg k-340’s so i was able to get a good handle on the sound. then along comes mikhail & mikeg & changed the tube set in the darkvoice. the tubes made a world of difference but probably tripled the value of the amp.

mikhail brought a new version of the ppx called the extreme. it needed a really good source so i tried it with jp#’s ayre & mikeg’s exemplar denon. i am very sorry i listened to this amp out of either source.

i must admit that i have a thing for jp#’s ayre with balanced outputs & mikeg’s exemplar denon. these were my favorite sources at the meet. agile_one left his accuphase at home this time. bad boy agile-one!! on another bad note, tyll left his wadia 861se at home which i would have loved to have listened to.

i also had a chance to listen to iGrados. agile_one had a stock pair & voltron had a recabled pair. very nice $50 cans. the recable made for a nice improvement. i have to get a pair.

as always, too much too listen to & so little time to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back