South Florida Meet Impressions - 12/2/06
Dec 12, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #196 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*Hides his deodorant stick*

Hey HighLife! I think we are still awaiting some real impressions from you. What did you listen to? What did you like? Etc. Come on man, you are going to be online all night so post up some thoughts, dude!

Dec 12, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #197 of 213
I got to listen to pretty much everything there. With exceptions of course, me not being there on friday. However the best in show goes to Mike's baby melinda...she was soo cute and sooo QUIET...i was amazed =) When she had the headphones on, i almost laughed to death. Was bigger then she was HAHA.

However what i enjoyed:

B52..omg...with the R10s i was in heaven. I couldnt or didnt want to put them down.

R10s were by far the best i have ever heard. I mean, everything sounded different, but to my ears, nothing had the detail of the R10. Now i know that its the most expensive set of cans and can see why. This was even lighter then expect when you have them on. Paired up with Ray's B52 was just AWESOME. I cant belive that Ray's Tomahawk even powered the R10s (they 40ohm?) and did it well. R10s were my fav, hands down.

The wooden he90s were extremely nice to wear. I loved the sound of these...just perfect for my tastes. I know i could never afford those..so it was a treat to even have them on my head. These would of been my 2nd choice of the headphones.

Tyll's setup with the micro DAC and amp from his Iriver WAS AMAZING. I was using his rewired HD650s and have to say that this is the setup i listen to the most. I just couldnt take them off...thanks to tyll for putting up with me for like a hour hehe. So the HD650s go in as my 3rd choice.

Grados were a mixed bag for me. I liked Fle's HF-1s alot. However after about 20mins with them on, i was feeling the pressure. I guess its due to the bowl pads. I really thought the GS1000 sounded great, but it seemed to be realllly heavy on the head. I really enjoyed the SR60 with the newer style pads....I loved Agile_ones iGrados sooo much i decided to buy them from him and now they my main portable cans. MANY thanks Agile for that btw...Now who wants to recable these for me, cause the cable is HORRIBLE.

Boomana's setup was kick ass....i cant belive she got that amp on ebay for 300 shipped. Really kicked ass and her modded 340s were just perfect. Her setup was the 2nd longest i sat and listened to. Very impressed. I know she was swapping back and forth with tubes, so i dont remember which she had in there exactly. BTW...Thanks Boomana for letting use her bathroom in the morning.

The AKG1000s were a mixed bag for me, the sounds seems great, but it really depends on what you listening to i guess. I liked the HD650s or even the AKG701 over these...dunno why. Maybe cause of isolation?

I really really loved Agile_ones CD player. I have been on the hunt looking for something similar to that =) Its soo perfect for my needs and its soo classey looking.

I LOVED THE SUSHI...wow, it has been a while since ive been there at Kikos, was AWESOME to have soo many sushi lovers =)

Let there be sound was awesome also....Oz was really nice to open up the shop to us and let us check out the vinyl setup he had. Which was also amazing. I have never in my life heard vinyl sound like that...i did notice it pop and alittle static, but its pure musical enjoyment totally offset it. When im ready for a new home setup...Oz is the man im going to see =)

All in all there was nothing i didnt want HAHAHAHA....it was sooo awesome to see all the top cans in 1 room. I was soo dizzy in the begining cause i didnt know what i wanted to hear, or which to start at, or what music....Everyone was extremely nice to me and offering their gear for a listen. People really enjoyed showing off gear.

This was my first meet and had a great time. Everyone was really nice, introducing themselves when i walked in the door. I thought i was going to be the outsider, but everyone made me feel very welcome. I look forward to attended another one in the future.

Thanks to everyone for showing me a wonderful time...it was awesome meeting all of you.

Dom-HighLife

PS- Steve had me dieing ....its been a while since i laughed that hard....watching Ray and him was great. Im glad Ray didnt have a toothbrush or i would of thrown up hahahaha

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #198 of 213
on a completely unrelated note 12/29 is Derek Trucks at Pompano Beach Ampitheatre and after is just about the best local guitar player I heard in a long time http://www.alligatoralleyflorida.com/music.php
Playing with Dave Shelly who is good in his own right is this guy Randy who blew my mind. Imagine Allan Holdsworth pr John Scofield jamming in a blues band kinda like jazz/blues fusion.
Any takers, Derek will be a great show and Dave and Randy after will blow minds

PS I think we have secured the venue in the link for our next meet. Vicki we will need the van service for sure!!

Dec 12, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #199 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually read that as sneakers, not speakers. That changes things a bit now.

If this were true I would own at least 10 K340's.
340smile.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #200 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First he feels left out; now he's playing hard to get.

That should be an interesting negotiation.

EDIT: I actually read that as sneakers, not speakers. That changes things a bit now.

I have a pair of New Balance I would rate at about 5/10 on the audiogon scale that have completed the Chicago Marathon. I have another pair that I would rate at 9/10 if anyone wants to trade for K340.

Dec 12, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #201 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to listen to pretty much everything there. With exceptions of course, me not being there on friday. However the best in show goes to Mike's baby melinda...she was soo cute and sooo QUIET...i was amazed =) When she had the headphones on, i almost laughed to death. Was bigger then she was HAHA.

Tyrion's got some 'splainin' to do if that is his baby girl!
blink.gif
Just kidding, Dominic, but I think her dad's name is actually Gary/Guss2.
icon10.gif
And I'm glad you got some impressions in. Come to think of it, Guss2 has yet to post any real impressions, I believe. We've gotta get something of substance in here after 50 pages of planning drivel.

Dec 12, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #202 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyrion's got some 'splainin' to do if that is his baby girl!
blink.gif
Just kidding, Dominic, but I think her dad's name is actually Gary/Guss2.
icon10.gif
And I'm glad you got some impressions in. Come to think of it, Guss2 has yet to post any real impressions, I believe. We've gotta get something of substance in here after 50 pages of planning drivel.

blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
What else can I say.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #204 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Mikey, where my damn keys be? Lol. Actually I haven't looked in the box today, but I did yesterday. Don't tell me you forgot again
wink.gif

I did forget but they are on their way. They will be there no later than Thursday.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #206 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lawl. Okay man no problem. BTW that's they're, not their or there. Ask Vicky, she'll help you next time you're in doubt.

Damn mod, he can probably see that on the first edit when I screwed it up too.

You better take a look at my post and your post. I think you need Vicky, not me.
wink.gif

Don't mess with a mod!
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #207 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you both could visit with Miguel's old K340s because I just traded Spacemanspliff for them! I still need to get them reterminated for balanced operation at some point, but this seemed like a good way to go for now. Plus, I still have the stock pair to compare and contrast a bit more.
340smile.gif

Those K340's have been all over the place! Hope you enjoy them. As I understand it Spacemanspliff amp had a problem. I would have bought them back but I need to do major repair on my VW Beetle.

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #208 of 213
I'm not much on words or impressions,I let other people do that.I bought the HE90's because I believe they are the best cans ever produced,but I'm always open to others opinions.This was one hell of a meet,and I'm glad to have seen so many new faces.Just FYI to all interested parties,my Aristaeus has been burning in and should ship on Friday,we'll see.Gary.

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #209 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just FYI to all interested parties,my Aristaeus has been burning in and should ship on Friday,we'll see.Gary.

Good news! Although I hope that "should" is not the operative word in that statement. My Egmont is here on the rock now. I'll pick it up from the port tomorrow.

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #210 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not much on words or impressions,I let other people do that.I bought the HE90's because I believe they are the best cans ever produced,but I'm always open to others opinions.This was one hell of a meet,and I'm glad to have seen so many new faces.Just FYI to all interested parties,my Aristaeus has been burning in and should ship on Friday,we'll see.Gary.

Gary awesome news!! Let's see if we can get together after New Years I'd love to hear the amp but this time I'd like to give you first crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back