South Florida Meet 6/10/06
Jun 9, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #331 of 365
Gene, I forgot you had the Blockhead. Last time I saw one of those was at Sewguy's meet.

By the way, the meet festivities started tonight. Stevieo arrived and dragged me out my house for a drink.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #332 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
By the way, the meet festivities started tonight. Stevieo arrived and dragged me out my house for a drink.

So Grandpa showed? I was about to pm the rounder to be sure he was coming, but no need now. I trust you made him pay?

btw the jug of Lagavulin 16 is safely packed with the amps and cans, so don't ruin your tastebuds before you get to Oz's tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #333 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
So Grandpa showed? I was about to pm the rounder to be sure he was coming, but no need now. I trust you made him pay?

btw the jug of Lagavulin 16 is safely packed with the amps and cans, so don't ruin your tastebuds before you get to Oz's tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

I had a Macallan 12 and he made me pay. I almost bought a bottle of that tonight. jp#'s speaks very highly of Lagavulin.

Is there anything wrong with playing Willie and the Poor Boys, over and over again. What a great album.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #334 of 365
Quote:

Raul ... we love unfinished amps - let the sparks fly
biggrin.gif

If you are willing, it would be fun to listen to your 650's + Zu out of my GCHA right along side of my 650's + balanced Equinox out of the Blockhead, with both driven from the Accuphase DP-77. Sort of a balanced vs single ended cage match.
eek.gif

Certainly Gene, sounds like a great match!

Jun 9, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #335 of 365
Wayne - Sorry, but I guess that I put my foot in my mouth on this one. Didn't really mean to piss you off. What I'm really anxious to do is to identify an amp. that approximates the outstanding sound of the HEV90, but that's easier, and less expensive to get. Since it's really rare to have opportunities for direct A/B comparisons of electrostatic headphone amps, and since these opportunities are mostly restricted to meets, I'm really anxious that amps that we compare are performing at their best, or at nearly at their best. That's why I hope that the tubes in the Egmont will be adequate to permit a meaningful comparison of the amps. Again, sorry if I offended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I guess you can attribute it to anything you want to attribute it to, just like everyone else at Head-Fi does. The NOS CV181 tubes do make a quite a big difference in the Egmont relative to standard issue 6SN7 tubes, which is about all I have at the moment.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #336 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Wayne - Sorry, but I guess that I put my foot in my mouth on this one. Didn't really mean to piss you off. What I'm really anxious to do is to identify an amp. that approximates the outstanding sound of the HEV90, but that's easier, and less expensive to get. Since it's really rare to have opportunities for direct A/B comparisons of electrostatic headphone amps, and since these opportunities are mostly restricted to meets, I'm really anxious that amps that we compare are performing at their best, or at nearly at their best. That's why I hope that the tubes in the Egmont will be adequate to permit a meaningful comparison of the amps. Again, sorry if I offended.

No, Mike. You didn't offend me at all. I've got a lot of gear so I'm not at all "married" to any of it, and even if I do have a fondness for something that I own because of some reason other than it's sound (i.e., sentimental attachment of some sort), I try to be honest about that and disclose my biases.

What I've found is that a lot of people who have never heard the Egmont Signature have somehow dismissed it as a serious contender for Stax phones (it's really not designed for the HE90's, but can work with them). Why, I'm not sure. Maybe it's simply because Rudi Stor is in Italy so very few of them have been sold to the US market. But I think it also has to do with some bad press that he got on Head-Fi some time ago that I didn't feel was deserved. At least not based on sound quality. But the people who criticized his work (design and implmentation-wise) did so with all sorts of technical arguments that are beyond me. It was quite clear that the principal antogonist had a bone to pick with Rudi, as he does with everyone who doesn't bow at his alter. All I know is that I've now heard at least 4 different KGSS variants at various meets I've attended, and not one of them sounded as good as the Egmont Signature.

But I might be biased because Rudi is a nice guy and has always treated me well. Although I bought this amp in the used market (from Nik), Rudi took the time to answer many questions I had and at a later point, he was willing to do the work on an upgrade that I decided on independent of him (putting in Gold Point stepped attenuators) free of any labor charges. I had Mikhail put in the attenuators instead, but only because it was more convenient in terms of shipping.

So there you have it. If I came across as a bit "testy" it had nothing to do with you and everything to do with the fact that this is a fabulous amp that a lot of people seem to have written off without even hearing it.

Nik used CV181 tubes with great results and actually sold a couple of pairs of those to me, but I've had trouble with one tube from each pair going bad, so I no longer have a matched pair to use. If I knew of a tube dealer in the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area, I'd be tempted to make a journey there this afternoon to pick up a pair.

Jun 9, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #338 of 365
Hey all,

Wow, time flies by very quickly. I've been very busy lately, so I haven't had as much time to log onto the site, but I am very excited for the meet. I need one favor though - could someone point me to the thread page that has all of the event information, or just repost it? I am aware of the LTBS event tonight, but I don't know where the actual meet is tomorrow. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #339 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
Hey all,

Wow, time flies by very quickly. I've been very busy lately, so I haven't had as much time to log onto the site, but I am very excited for the meet. I need one favor though - could someone point me to the thread page that has all of the event information, or just repost it? I am aware of the LTBS event tonight, but I don't know where the actual meet is tomorrow. Thanks!

The meet is at the Amerisuites Hotel:

8530 West Broward Boulevard
Plantation, FL 33324
(954) 370-2220

It starts at around 10am but I will be there by 9am setting up.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #340 of 365
Quote:

If I knew of a tube dealer in the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area, I'd be tempted to make a journey there this afternoon to pick up a pair.

I have a friend down here that literally has a warehouse full of NOS tubes that he has collected over the years, i will see if i can get him to look for any CV181's in there...

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #341 of 365
Quote:

snip ...

What I've found is that a lot of people who have never heard the Egmont Signature have somehow dismissed it as a serious contender for Stax phones (it's really not designed for the HE90's, but can work with them). Why, I'm not sure. Maybe it's simply because Rudi Stor is in Italy so very few of them have been sold to the US market. But I think it also has to do with some bad press that he got on Head-Fi some time ago that I didn't feel was deserved. At least not based on sound quality. But the people who criticized his work (design and implmentation-wise) did so with all sorts of technical arguments that are beyond me. It was quite clear that the principal antogonist had a bone to pick with Rudi, as he does with everyone who doesn't bow at his alter. All I know is that I've now heard at least 4 different KGSS variants at various meets I've attended, and not one of them sounded as good as the Egmont Signature.

... snip

Well put, Wayne, and my experiences with three different kgss amps echos yours. They just don't do it for me, and I much preferred both Stax 007t and your Egmont Sig to them with OII's. That's just me, though, as many here do "bow at that altar".

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing the Egmont again, as I have fond memories of it from Orlando and Sewer Guy's meet (or am I mixing up your amps?).

I totally agree, too, that Rudi Stor is a talented and sincere gentleman with a passion for designing and building audio gear.

Hopefully Oz or flecom's connection will scare up some suitable tubes.

See you tonight ...

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #342 of 365
I have a nice variety of beer for tonight:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Stoudt's Double IPA
Dogfishead Chicory Stout
A couple of 22 oz. bottles of Racer 5

If there are any requests for light weight beer keep it to yourself.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #343 of 365
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mike - nice to know the important things are taken care of.
wink.gif
wink.gif

I'm sure John will bring some Corona light, some Silver Bullets, and Mich Ultra - you know how he likes those manly brews.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #344 of 365
Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mike - nice to know the important things are taken care of.
wink.gif
wink.gif

I'm sure John will bring some Corona light, some Silver Bullets, and Mich Ultra - you know how he likes those manly brews.
tongue.gif

He told me he was picking up a case of Old Milwaukee and Busch Light.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back