Soundstage Width and Cross-feed: Some Observations
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #46 of 241
I agree about the reduced fatigue. It's the foremost reason I use crossfeed. Sometimes it enhances the holographic presentation of the recording. It does depend on the recording, and can even be unnoticeable. I'm not too bothered about the inaccuracies that crossfeed may introduce. It is minimal, and the 'coloured' presentations of my headphones offset accuracy by a larger degree.

Could you tell what crossfeed you use ?
I wanted to experiment with Audirvana and TB isone as an AU plugin.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #47 of 241
Could you tell what crossfeed you use ?
I wanted to experiment with Audirvana and TB isone as an AU plugin.

I use the built in crossfeed circuitry in my DAC. I think the same is used in the amp, but I leave it off. I use the bass boost function with crossfeed as the lower frequencies can seem reduced due to being distributed over both channels (according to the manual at least). The dac has a more natural sounding bass boost in my opinion.

I wonder why more manufacturers don't come up with crossfeed boxes (or have they I don't know). I'm guessing they would be much cheaper than having to buy and amp or dac along with it. But again, I presume the software options would be a cheaper option altogether.

If I had the patience I would try out the software options out there to compare.

I don't think there's much suspicion towards crossfeed filters? Or perhaps people are more accustomed to the stereo presentation than I...
-----
I find the Rubber Soul and Revolver stereo remasters almost unlistenable without crossfeed activated due to the extreme left and right separation on headphones.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #48 of 241
There are Crossfeed boxes designed following Meier concept. Look www.mfspdesigns.com
I have noticed also the SPL Phonitor 2.
It seems that people hearing at headphones are more concerned by definition instead of soundstage which is speakers domain.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #49 of 241
Ah ok thanks that's interesting.

I don't place too much importance in soundstage, and I do like detail, so I would be those people you are describing. At the same time, I don't use the feature in order to try mimic speakers. As long as the effect produces a coherent presentation of the music that is comfortable on the headphone listener, then I'm happy.

I notice that the description on that site does NOT say it 'widens' the soundstage, rather it 'improves' it. And I would agree, at least with the crossfeed I use. In fact most of the time soundstage seems narrower, with what seems like marginally more natural placement of instruments - like a ball of sound around my forehead... if that makes any sense...

The degree of this effect heavily dependent on the recording of course.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #50 of 241
  Ah ok thanks that's interesting.

I don't place too much importance in soundstage, and I do like detail, so I would be those people you are describing. At the same time, I don't use the feature in order to try mimic speakers. As long as the effect produces a coherent presentation of the music that is comfortable on the headphone listener, then I'm happy.

I notice that the description on that site does NOT say it 'widens' the soundstage, rather it 'improves' it. And I would agree, at least with the crossfeed I use. In fact most of the time soundstage seems narrower, with what seems like marginally more natural placement of instruments - like a ball of sound around my forehead... if that makes any sense...

The degree of this effect heavily dependent on the recording of course.

it gets narrower, as it mixes the channels. the impact is more in depth, but the sides do lose a little. it's mostly pushing a few instruments further in front of us(like mono does). that's what I like to call a more 3D sound even though it has nothing to do with a surround DSP.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #51 of 241

it gets narrower, as it mixes the channels. the impact is more in depth, but the sides do lose a little. it's mostly pushing a few instruments further in front of us(like mono does). that's what I like to call a more 3D sound even though it has nothing to do with a surround DSP.

I listen to mainly orchestral music. The effect for me is that, instead of feeling like the conductor, I feel like I'm in the audience.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #52 of 241

But 'surround DSPs' concern Speakers not Headphones, isn't it ? Or are there physical or software ones usable on stereo files and not only 5.1 ?

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #53 of 241

But 'surround DSPs' concern Speakers not Headphones, isn't it ? Or are there physical or software ones usable on stereo files and not only 5.1 ?

There are DSPs that can take 5.1 and convert it into a virtual headphone surround signal (look up HRTF or HRIR).

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #54 of 241

There are DSPs that can take 5.1 and convert it into a virtual headphone surround signal (look up HRTF or HRIR).

Exactly the point. I'm looking at DSPs which work not on 5.1 but stereo files since I have not 5.1 music files. I'm streaming from Qobuz.com CD quality classical music and I'm looking at reproducing the soundstage of speakers into my headphones.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #55 of 241

Exactly the point. I'm looking at DSPs which work not on 5.1 but stereo files since I have not 5.1 music files. I'm streaming from Qobuz.com CD quality classical music and I'm looking at reproducing the soundstage of speakers into my headphones.

Well that's what crossfeed is for… On Linux, I used the bs2b LADSPA plugin, which lets me add the crossfeed DSP to any incoming audio pipe/stream.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #56 of 241
Curious that headphone listeners would talk about soundstage which is adjusted by the distance speakers are apart from each other.  Headphones make the soundstage a point inside the head.  I can't imagine giving the concept a second thought with headphones.
... sire....

Actually the soundstage they talk here is headstage

Which comes from proper playing of decay signature

As ear perceive different signature when the source is to near(sensitive to decay)

If decay is lessened somewhere and tightened somewhere...it would give different sound..no matter what frequency response is

Make the headphone flat...but if bass has decay...it will always bloom and if treble has decay..it will sound harsh

But if there little decay in midbass(not hump) and upper mids with high decay on high treble(above 22khz)

It will soundstage like hell(opera) but no reverb feel...it will sound very large

Having audeze lcd3(the tightest decay headphone) it still have a great headstage due to large driver and earpad which have little distance....but senn hd 800 soubds even bigger

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #57 of 241
My JBL loudspeakers came with the instruction manual that shows the dimensions of the ideal room, the ideal placement of the speakers and the ideal place you should sit down when you're listening to music. I assume it shouldn't be too hard for a DSP software to make the necessary adjustment in order to mimic the loudspeaker listening experience adjusted for headphones. Is it?
Forgive my ignorance on the subject. what DSP would you suggest to experiment on? 

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #58 of 241
Hello,
Quote:
  My JBL loudspeakers came with the instruction manual that shows the dimensions of the ideal room, the ideal placement of the speakers and the ideal place you should sit down when you're listening to music. I assume it shouldn't be too hard for a DSP software to make the necessary adjustment in order to mimic the loudspeaker listening experience adjusted for headphones. Is it?
Forgive my ignorance on the subject. what DSP would you suggest to experiment on? 

For headphones you will need some Head Tracking functionality.
Perhaps the Smyth Realiser 8 or 16 or Nx Head Tracker from Waves ?

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #59 of 241
  For headphones you will need some Head Tracking functionality.
Perhaps the Smyth Realiser 8 or 16 or Nx Head Tracker from Waves ?

Actually I don't want Head Tracking functionality. What i want is something that emulates the ideal listening conditions (with loudspeakers) and sends the modified signal to the left and right channel of my headphones. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #60 of 241
  Actually I don't want Head Tracking functionality. What i want is something that emulates the ideal listening conditions (with loudspeakers) and sends the modified signal to the left and right channel of my headphones. 

You will still need to do, in essence, what something like the Realiser does: use binaural mics to take measurements in your own ears for both setups and then create the necessary filters. But do note that tracking even minor movements of the head can greatly aid in making a true frontal presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back