Soundstage Review on Transporter
Dec 7, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until I get my new headphone amp back, I can't really make that comparison. My speaker setups aren't really setup to use a Transport and DAC, as everything has to go through the TACT DACs anyway. I will say that on my speaker setups I have absoultely no hesitation using the Transporter as my main transport, even though I have the P-03 and North Star.

When I get my amp in (next week?), I'll definitely slave it to my Esoteric P-03 and tell you what I hear, if anything.

Try to sound desperate when calling mikhail, thats how i got my amp in 4 weeks.
(but at that time i was really kind of desperate bcoz my passport is gonna expire
and i have a flight to catch)

Dec 7, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to sound desperate when calling mikhail, thats how i got my amp in 4 weeks.
(but at that time i was really kind of desperate bcoz my passport is gonna expire
and i have a flight to catch)

Desperation doesn't suit me, but I'll try to put the lean on him. I"ll give him the crazy eyed look("
blink.gif
").

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Desperation doesn't suit me, but I'll try to put the lean on him. I"ll give him the crazy eyed look("
blink.gif
").

So Richard... shall be wager a little bet? Who get's their amp from Mikhail first?
wink.gif
I think I will!

Anyway, you likely don't care, although I really want to hear and see the my new amp (and yours).

As far as the on topic conversation goes (to some degree), when I use the SB3 Digital (SPDIF OR COAX) out to my Emm Labs DCC2, it clearly is inferior in sound to my Emm Labs CDSD. I guess possibly modding it will fix this issue? I'm assuming it will be closer to the CDSD SQ with the transporter... but it seems like kind of a waste to get a transporter just to use the Digital Out.

Neil

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Richard... shall be wager a little bet? Who get's their amp from Mikhail first?
wink.gif
I think I will!

Anyway, you likely don't care, although I really want to hear and see the my new amp (and yours).

As far as the on topic conversation goes (to some degree), when I use the SB3 Digital (SPDIF OR COAX) out to my Emm Labs DCC2, it clearly is inferior in sound to my Emm Labs CDSD. I guess possibly modding it will fix this issue? I'm assuming it will be closer to the CDSD SQ with the transporter... but it seems like kind of a waste to get a transporter just to use the Digital Out.

Neil

I'm not putting money on a losing bet. I already told him I was going on vacation on the 15th and that if it wasn't done by then it wouldn't be problem.

50% of the appeal of the Transporter for me is the aesthetics. It just looks much better in the rack.

One of my Transporters has full mods. That will go in the headphone setup where I want to use it via XLR in the adjustable section of my amp. The Esoteric will go in the reference section but I will also have the Transporter attached to the Esoteric. I'll synch it to hear if it makes a difference, but not permanently.

I recently found out the other Transporter has had a mod to the power supply. It will get modded on the digital section. Not that I necessarily hear any difference, but I like the ridiculously low jitter numbers my modder can achieve. Even the stock Transporter has excellent jitter numbers. He feels the power supply mod is critical.

I guess I haven't really heard a bone stock Transporter so take everything I say with a grain of salt. That being said the upgrade to the power supply on the "unmodded" one was minor and not his full power supply mod. He described it as a quick fix.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

wink.gif
I think I will!

Actually I think I will. The email I received from Mikhail indicates it should be done in two weeks (yesterday) and will ship next week
biggrin.gif

Sorry for any derailing of the thread, I couldn't resist ... now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I think I will. The email I received from Mikhail indicates it should be done in two weeks (yesterday) and will ship next week
biggrin.gif

Sorry for any derailing of the thread, I couldn't resist ... now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Just to let you know, I have heard this from Mikhail two or three times already!
wink.gif

As a disclaimer, I've told Mikhail it's no big deal and I'd rather have him finish it on his own time than getting it rushed out.

Neil

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Just to let you know, I have heard this from Mikhail two or three times already!
wink.gif

Really, only two or three?
wink.gif

Quote:

As a disclaimer, I've told Mikhail it's no big deal and I'd rather have him finish it on his own time than getting it rushed out.

Neil

Same disclaimer here, at this price point I'd rather have it right than rushed.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #23 of 31
how much did u guys pay for the SS amp?

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much did u guys pay for the SS amp?

Less than I did for the D-03/P-03.

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #26 of 31
sounds like another astronomical amount

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #27 of 31
Dec 8, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 31
how does he manage to do that? Does slim devices know this?

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #29 of 31
He wouldn't be an authorized seller (or not for long) if he did this without SD"s knowledge.

Neil

edit: I didn't know the transporter could be SLAVED to an external DAC. This is huge as I think this may make a big diff w/ my dac.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

He wouldn't be an authorized seller (or not for long) if he did this without SD"s knowledge.

Neil

edit: I didn't know the transporter could be SLAVED to an external DAC. This is huge as I think this may make a big diff w/ my dac.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...highlight=sync

check out posts 55 58 62 63
I believe you guys are using the same dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back