Soundstage Review on Transporter
Dec 5, 2006 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
I have 2 Transporters (one modified) and have used them almost exclusively as my digital transports since I got them. Nice review that also concludes that the day of high end CD transports is over.

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi.html

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 2 Transporters (one modified) and have used them almost exclusively as my digital transports since I got them. Nice review that also concludes that the day of high end CD transports is over.

http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi.html

Interesting review, but $2000
eek.gif
Oh to be rich...

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 31
so which one is better Ayre CDP or Transporter??!!

I can't demo transporter...what to do!!!???

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 31
makes me want to buy a stello.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting review, but $2000
eek.gif
Oh to be rich...

If using it as a transport only, you can always get the SB3 for a fraction of the price.

I also think that given the amount of money some people are spending on pure transports, including myself, the Transporter is not so out of line, and maybe even a high end bargain.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

If using it as a transport only, you can always get the SB3 for a fraction of the price.

I also think that given the amount of money some people are spending on pure transports, including myself, the Transporter is not so out of line, and maybe even a high end bargain.

Yeah, I'd love to have one. Part of what appeals is the DAC section which is a little lacking in the sb3 from what I've read.
You're a lucky guy. Congrats.

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 31
I was planning to have bought this by now, but I think I'm going to prioritize a new projector before I get a 3rd DAC, even if it is a neat transport as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe sometime next year. Either that or if I'm lucky enough to find one used here or on the 'gon.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 31
AT LAST!

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'd love to have one. Part of what appeals is the DAC section which is a little lacking in the sb3 from what I've read.
You're a lucky guy.

You need to be careful with words like "lacking." If you use it to mean that it's not as good as that in a $2K piece of equipment, you're probably right. If you use it to mean that it's not as good as you'd expect from a $299 piece of equipment, you're very, very wrong; the Squeezebox playing lossless audio sounds excellent, and I doubt there's anything in its price range that's better.

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

when are u going to slave tt TP to your esoteric dAC??!!!!!

thats all i need to know

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 31
Sounds like the reviewer concluded the transporter as transport is the equal of his Theta Data Basic transport.

IME, the Theta is a good workhorse transport but nowhere near state-of-the-art in CD transport in sound quality. I'm a 100% hard-drive audiophile, so this is actually kind of disappointing for the Transporter...

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 31
I use the Esoteric P-03 and an Aberdeen Northstar Transport (which is considered the standard among TACT users for its miniscule jitter numbers). I don't look for a sound signature in transports as much as I do transparency. In that regard, the Transporter is completely up to the task. It has been flawless as a digital transport. The jitter readings on the stock Transporter are excellent and on the modified Trasnporter, they are even lower..

I have yet to do any real comparisons aon the analog out of the stock and modified Transporter.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

I use the Esoteric P-03 and an Aberdeen Northstar Transport (which is considered the standard among TACT users for its miniscule jitter numbers). I don't look for a sound signature in transports as much as I do transparency. In that regard, the Transporter is completely up to the task. It has been flawless as a digital transport. The jitter readings on the stock Transporter are excellent and on the modified Trasnporter, they are even lower..

I have yet to do any real comparisons aon the analog out of the stock and modified Transporter.

WSlam reported a improvement in clarity and precision when he slaved it to his emm lab dac. So i wonder if you have experienced the same thing. My whole interest in the TP is its word clock input function so i can slave it to my lessloss. If there is no improvement slaved/unslaved then i might as well get a sb3 or offramp turbo 2

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WSlam reported a improvement in clarity and precision when he slaved it to his emm lab dac. So i wonder if you have experienced the same thing. My whole interest in the TP is its word clock input function so i can slave it to my lessloss. If there is no improvement slaved/unslaved then i might as well get a sb3 or offramp turbo 2

Until I get my new headphone amp back, I can't really make that comparison. My speaker setups aren't really setup to use a Transport and DAC, as everything has to go through the TACT DACs anyway. I will say that on my speaker setups I have absoultely no hesitation using the Transporter as my main transport, even though I have the P-03 and North Star.

When I get my amp in (next week?), I'll definitely slave it to my Esoteric P-03 and tell you what I hear, if anything.

Dec 6, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

I have absoultely no hesitation using the Transporter as my main transport, even though I have the P-03 and North Star.

sure sure whatever you say ......
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back