SoundMAGIC release E50S and E80S In-Ear Reference Series
Sep 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #167 of 227
How hard are the E50 to drive from an itouch/smartphone? It seems from what other people are saying they do need an amp (or at least greatly benefit from one). Is the only thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger, I hate phones that are hard to drive from a regular device.

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #168 of 227
How hard are the E50 to drive from an itouch/smartphone?

It will depend on the phone/device and your listening volume. Phones and DAPs will vary in power output (I am not familiar with the iTouch). And of course, what is loud enough for one person could easily not be for someone else. For instance, I find that my Nexus 6 provides a pleasureable moderate volume with the E50. But someone else might not with their listening volume or their phone.

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #169 of 227
How hard are the E50 to drive from an itouch/smartphone? It seems from what other people are saying they do need an amp (or at least greatly benefit from one). Is the only thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger, I hate phones that are hard to drive from a regular device.

Use my E50S with an iPhone 5S without issue. I've also used them with a X3ii and E11K and noticed very little if any difference at all.

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #172 of 227
Dropped the price of the E80s I'm selling - bargain at half the RRP, if anyone out there wants to give these a go,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775281/soundmagic-e80-uk-delivery-half-price#post_11896007

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #173 of 227
Finally got the E80 from Penon (local distributor will only stock S version, boo). First impression, that mid is delicious, really nice on female vocal which is 90% of my library. As with most mid-focused phones, these don't have the widest soundstage, but it does admirable job positioning the instruments. Bass, they have it, but it's subdued and don't really hit hard, so people who love their bass (either realizing or not) should maybe look elsewhere, it's still decently textured and don't sound thin in my opinion. High isn't annoying, that's good enough for me, I don't find the phones too bright at all.

Edit: okay, after fitting some spinfit foam tips, the bass quantity isn't a problem anymore for my taste, it still doesn't hit hard, but quantity-wise, it's more than enough.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #175 of 227
The gunmetal color is really nice in person, though it makes the L R markings hard to read.

Been grasping the sound signature of E80 in the meantime, it does sound different out of my phone compared to with Caiman's HO. Better bass slam with the dac amp and obviously better resolution et al. It's still sounding admirably good straight of my phone, especially for my library collection which is full of female singers, even though the bass sounds weak.

Gonna see(hear) how the re-cabled MH1 holds up against it in a week or so. :)

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #176 of 227
Anyone knows how E50S perform on an iPod, is 51Ω/102dB a problem? E10S are 16Ω/100dB, does that mean they're three times as quiet?

Been looking at best dealer for Croatia, can't find any but amazon/ebay, would rather like a dealer from Europe.

Thanks all

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #177 of 227
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums. I am confused between the Soundmagic E50 and E80, and I have gone through all the reviews. I have listened to Soundmagic E30 (I preferred this one a lot), and also E10. The new E50 and E80 just have a $5 price difference. I would like to know which one would be best for me: I listen to classical and soundtracks mostly, apart from pop, country (like Taylor Swift) sometimes. Which one would be suited for me? Please reply. I don't want to buy both (Saving up for a good AMP)

P.S. I just want the better sounding headphone - better soundstage, resolution, clarity and detail. In this case is it like bigger the number the better? (E80 > E50)

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #178 of 227
  Anyone knows how E50S perform on an iPod, is 51Ω/102dB a problem? E10S are 16Ω/100dB, does that mean they're three times as quiet?

Been looking at best dealer for Croatia, can't find any but amazon/ebay, would rather like a dealer from Europe.

Thanks all

Hi all!

An update to this one: I've mailed Soundmagic and it turns out amazon.co.uk official Soundmagic products are being shipped from UK (EU) directly, so that's great!

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #180 of 227
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums. I am confused between the Soundmagic E50 and E80, and I have gone through all the reviews. I have listened to Soundmagic E30 (I preferred this one a lot), and also E10. The new E50 and E80 just have a $5 price difference. I would like to know which one would be best for me: I listen to classical and soundtracks mostly, apart from pop, country (like Taylor Swift) sometimes. Which one would be suited for me? Please reply. I don't want to buy both (Saving up for a good AMP)

P.S. I just want the better sounding headphone - better soundstage, resolution, clarity and detail. In this case is it like bigger the number the better? (E80 > E50)

Yes, higher number is higher grading we gave, but it does not mean better for your taste. Each model have its own character of sound.
From your case, you like E30, I would recommend E80 to you. E50 have more Bass sound, you can imaging it is the up grade version of E10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back