Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Dec 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #181 of 214
So would you say the pl30 are more fun sounding/engaging or musical than the pl50?

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #182 of 214
No, that's not necessarily true. I'm not trying to make this confusing (honest!) but the PL30s, while more similar to the KSC75s signature-wise, aren't nearly as fun or engaging. They have the right amount of emphasis on the mids/treble but they lack the forwardness and aggressiveness of the Koss.

For fun and engaging I'd pick the PL21, although they sound more like the KSC35/PortaPros than the KSC75.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #183 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that's not necessarily true. I'm not trying to make this confusing (honest!) but the PL30s, while more similar to the KSC75s signature-wise, aren't nearly as fun or engaging. They have the right amount of emphasis on the mids/treble but they lack the forwardness and aggressiveness of the Koss.

For fun and engaging I'd pick the PL21, although they sound more like the KSC35/PortaPros than the KSC75.

Oh okay..

Thanks alot. Your opinions are really helpful
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #184 of 214
I love these earphones. And I have listened to many others. To my ears they just sound "right". The right amount of bass, mid and treble. Comfortable, light. They are my portable choice right now, due to the great sound and low price. I really didn't expect them to be so good for the price, but Soundmagic did it right.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #185 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah well, it seems the seal with the foams is not sufficient. You seem right that these are hard to get off, first of all because they're damn slippery. Can anyone help me with a method to get these off unharmed? Can I use a bit of pressure?

PS: I've tried the Sensaphonics Seal Test and the 50Hz tone is not as loud as the 500Hz tone. Actually, I would describe the 50Hz tone as 'barely audible'.

EDIT: It could be that my ears are adjusting, but I think the bass is getting slightly stronger. But I have to push them in my ear further if I want to get the base response I want. Unfortunately that is too far for the tips to stay put. I really think I need to try the large silicone tips, but I still don't know how to safely remove the foam tips without damaging them or the earphone.

I use Shure foams. They're tight but will go. Nice thing about them being tight is that you can install them 1/16" or a hair more off the base of the too short stem for deeper insertion, they seal great and have a complimentary signature. I've had these for 5 days and 4 were used for breakin and they needed all of it. They change slowly like other BAs so some think not much is happening but I'm becoming of the impression that BAs just need more time to become aware of it. I increased volume over the period and the last day was at uncomfortable levels. These are no longer mid centric, have found some missing air and have good bass.

Compared to top phones, they do lack some deep bass, top extension and space between the notes but noting is missing and they are suprisingly deliniated, natural and low distortion. Currently the seem quite balanced with an extremely minor extra in the very upper mids and some lack of weight but this is really picking nits. Their balance is as good as many very expensive IEMs. The effeciency seems to have dropped a couple of db overall but this is just the mids having been beat into submission
bigsmile_face.gif
and falling into their proper place with a bit more harmonic structure. Bass is now fuller and up in amplitude compared to the mids when new as you would expect from the previous sentence. Those that hear distress at added bass or high volumes need to run these in more and harder. They seem pretty tight when new. You won't be disappointed.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #187 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ru9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why $79.00???

Addressed at the bottom of the first page:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is where you'll pay for the 30 days refund, 90 days replacement policy and the customer service from a reputable dealer whenever you need it for warranty
icon10.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #188 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Addressed at the bottom of the first page:

Thanks, just got the impression that this was $55.00 last year, same dealer.

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #189 of 214
Jan 31, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #191 of 214
Darn 3 weeks, anybody want to sell theirs? Please PM me.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #192 of 214

Yes, a bang for buck IEM, using the Klipsch clear ovals for a tight seal. The bass shines, tight and well defined, great for classic rock.

I now prefer this to the Image S4.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #194 of 214
I don't have the PL20 but I have owned the PL50, PL30, and PL21. All three are quite different in presentation so it really depends on what you're after. If you just want a gym pair with a good bit of bass and a fun sound signature, the PL21 will probably do best. If you want the most detailed possible sound and intend to listen to vocal-heavy tracks, the PL50 is well-worth the extra cash. If you're after a sound that's more dynamic and airier/wider, the PL30 may be the ticket.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #195 of 214
I am really torn because I don't really want to pay $50 for IEMs that will last me 3 months, so how is the durability? And also I really have no idea how these are going to sound, I come from a Zune premium earphone user and I was fairly happy with them and am not an audiophille at all. Will I enjoy the pl-50s? I listen to mostly hip-hop( not a bass head at all though) and quite a bit of the beatles, how do they sound? Specifically the remastered albums ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back