Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Sep 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #166 of 214
Well gave it some thought and considered the phonak pfe's but in the end went for the RE0 as I want a replacement for the ety's and the pl30 can be good for some out and about phones. Can now ignore head-fi for another year or so and better preserve the cash in my wallet :)

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #167 of 214
Got my PL50 yesterday and have been running these with music for a day now. Although the sound is very clear at low levels it's not that full (no 'welly' to it) and if I try and bump up the mid/bass (on my iPod) it sounds like distortion is creeping in. I'm using the standard foam tips as none of the other single flange eartips seem to fit me though there were a pair of double flange earpieces included in a separate bag, but the hole is too large for the nozzle (not snug fit like the others). Haven't tried the PL50's with my Mini3 or Fiio E5 as, strangely, both batteries had run down. People here say the E5 makes a good difference to sound.

So is this 'lean' sound what I should expect from the PL50? I'm not that grabbed (like I was with the Koss KSC75s when I first heard them) or should I try other tips?

Oct 30, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #168 of 214
Forget the ipod EQ... The PL50s sound is very refined and delicate, but if you have a good seal it is not really bass/mid deficient. Your mini3 should be good with it. My BB2.02 fits well with my PL50 and my other soundmagic phones. E5 is so-so with it.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #169 of 214
Just got mine a couple of days ago, and have been using them quite liberally.

First impressions? Smallest, most comfortable little things I've ever had in my ears. But the sounds very thick and rolled-off. However, they respond very well to eq-ing, which is a life-saver.

With the proper eq-ing, these are pretty fantastic. Sound as light as they feel; a very effortless sound. Also, they seem to be good for a wide range of genres, which I haven't found with other in-ear phones I've tried.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #170 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine a couple of days ago, and have been using them quite liberally.

First impressions? Smallest, most comfortable little things I've ever had in my ears. But the sounds very thick and rolled-off. However, they respond very well to eq-ing, which is a life-saver.

With the proper eq-ing, these are pretty fantastic. Sound as light as they feel; a very effortless sound. Also, they seem to be good for a wide range of genres, which I haven't found with other in-ear phones I've tried.

Yes, the best word I can use to describe their sound to this day is "inoffensive". It's just as you described - light, effortless, and forgiving with an emphasized and "creamy" midrange. Glad you like them after the whole mp4nation debacle. Would've been a huge letdown if you did not.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #171 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the best word I can use to describe their sound to this day is "inoffensive". It's just as you described - light, effortless, and forgiving with an emphasized and "creamy" midrange. Glad you like them after the whole mp4nation debacle. Would've been a huge letdown if you did not.

Yeah, seriously, man... I'm officially done with them.
frown.gif

Listening to the PL-50 right now (surprise, surprise), and I think your last description here is spot on: light, with a "creamy" midrange. My main phone is HD600, so it was all but inevitable that I would like these as portable options!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #172 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget the ipod EQ... The PL50s sound is very refined and delicate, but if you have a good seal it is not really bass/mid deficient. Your mini3 should be good with it. My BB2.02 fits well with my PL50 and my other soundmagic phones. E5 is so-so with it.

Have been running them with the Mini3 the last coulple of days at way less volume than I would do with the KSC75's and they're giving pretty clear sound at these low volumes. Still having some trouble with getting the fit right and there's still way less bass than I'm used to, though with extended wear it doesn't notice. Source is a Rockboxed mk1 Nano and I'm actually using crossfeed for the first time as it takes some of the high frequencies off and sorta balances out the sound. The E5 doesn't work very well at all.

Was expecting to be blown away by these, but they aren't really hitting the spot. Still not sure if I'll keep them or go back to clip-ons, like the Yuin GK2 instead.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #173 of 214
The laid back sound really isn't for everyone (or for every mood). The Yuin G2A are quite laid back as well, though they are more balanced than the PL50. If you're looking for something more visceral and closer to the KSC75, you should be looking at the Meelec Ai-M6 or Maximo Im-590s, or even the rarely-mentioned UE MetroFi 220.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #174 of 214
mine are still in transit supposivly leaving hong kong soon..im hoping i like them..if i dont i dont wanna go through the hassle of returning i will probably post them on here to sell..do you think someone would want them my shipping would be faster then any online order i will only ship in the states though

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #175 of 214
hrmmmmmm, I guess mp4nation is still having problems with orders and shipments... I am still waiting for mine, and it's been almost a month since the package has been shipped. Even my RE0 didn't take this long.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #176 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hrmmmmmm, I guess mp4nation is still having problems with orders and shipments... I am still waiting for mine, and it's been almost a month since the package has been shipped. Even my RE0 didn't take this long.

You may have had the same problem I (and, seemingly, many others) did: there was a problem with the shipment on HKP's end, and a whole batch had to be resent.

It would have been nice to have received some notice about this, though. Boo, MP4Nation... boo.
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #177 of 214
Quote:

The laid back sound really isn't for everyone (or for every mood). The Yuin G2A are quite laid back as well, though they are more balanced than the PL50. If you're looking for something more visceral and closer to the KSC75, you should be looking at the Meelec Ai-M6 or Maximo Im-590s, or even the rarely-mentioned UE MetroFi 220.

Tried persevering with the PL50, but I don't think they're for me. The sound is not what I'm after and my ears feel weird after I take them out. I even felt I had a better balance with the standard iPod earbuds (which is somewhat sacrilegious here, isn't it?). Time to look for something else rather than an in-ear 'phone.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #178 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may have had the same problem I (and, seemingly, many others) did: there was a problem with the shipment on HKP's end, and a whole batch had to be resent.

It would have been nice to have received some notice about this, though. Boo, MP4Nation... boo.
frown.gif

If they had a better tracking system, I wouldn't complain, but...they don't. HKP's finally updated after all this time. It says, "Destination - Canada" hrmmmm lol...

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #179 of 214
Quote:

Do you think the PL30 or PL21 sound closer to the KSC-75s than the PL50s? How comfortable are they both compared to the PL50 since you own all three?

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #180 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozurr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the PL30 or PL21 sound closer to the KSC-75s than the PL50s? How comfortable are they both compared to the PL50 since you own all three?

To be honest I don't think any of the three are a good match for the KSC75. The PL21 is significantly darker and lacks a bit of the high-end sparkle. The PL30 has the airiness and sparkle of the KSC75 but lacks the low-end authority. If I had to I'd pick the PL30 but I can't say it 'sounds like the KSC75'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back