Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #136 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindmar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my pl50's.

Anyways... My first impressions of these phones are not that exciting... I dunno. I was expecting something more but I'm certainly not blown away. Maybe I'm missing something. I need to give them a more thorough listen. I took them for a run and they stayed on nicely however.

Edited my post

At first I tried to remove my tips and thought I had an old batch but with a bit of pressure the tips came off smoothly.

Changed tips and these are sounding really good! Need a better seal still. What tips are you guys liking with these?

They really aren't exciting in any way. Just very good all-around. I believe a few others as well as myself like the Sony Hybrid tips with these.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #138 of 214
Sep 9, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #139 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, that's the ones. They're $8.99 at best buy, too, if you're in the US and want to avoid shipping costs.

I'm in Canada but will try and track some down.

I like the foam tips that come with them, and the largest ones are good but I have some trouble finding a solid seal in my right ear.

What are the thoughts on the ear clips? Does anyone use those?

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #140 of 214
Quote:

I'm in Canada but will try and track some down.

I like the foam tips that come with them, and the largest ones are good but I have some trouble finding a solid seal in my right ear.

What are the thoughts on the ear clips? Does anyone use those?

I destroyed my Soundmagic foamies but I use a set of V-Sonic ones that I got off ebay for $2. Hybrids still fit me better, though.

I don't use the clips as they just annoy me when I'm wrapping up the cords, but I used them with my PL30s until I got used to wearing the cables over-the-ear. They work fine, and if you find them comfortable/convenient - go for it.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #141 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I destroyed my Soundmagic foamies but I use a set of V-Sonic ones that I got off ebay for $2. Hybrids still fit me better, though.

I don't use the clips as they just annoy me when I'm wrapping up the cords, but I used them with my PL30s until I got used to wearing the cables over-the-ear. They work fine, and if you find them comfortable/convenient - go for it.

That is so dumb that the hybrids are sold in a mixed package of sizes. Oh well.
I will take the plunge and try em.

How does the V-Sonic pair compare in size to the soundmagic ones?

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #142 of 214
Quote:

That is so dumb that the hybrids are sold in a mixed package of sizes. Oh well.
I will take the plunge and try em.

How does the V-Sonic pair compare in size to the soundmagic ones?

You may be able to trade the Hybrids in the sizes you don't need off (or just buy a pair in your size from the FS forum here). I know I wouldn't need the two smaller sizes if not for the gf. And yeah, Sony has taken a lot of flak for that.

The V-Sonic foams are about the same size as the large soundmagics, but I don't have the latter for a direct comparison as they got destroyed.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #143 of 214
Just got my PL50's today!

So far after 4 hours or so of listening I can definitely say that I like them.

First impression after 10mins:
Treble: Detailed and clear but not an extremely high extension.
Midrange: Warm and detailed. Slight emphasis on the lower-half of the midrange
Bass: Detailed and without mud. Surprisingly punchy but definite rolloff below 60hz.
Impression after 4 hours
Treble: Sounds great. I really like the clarity. It never gets too fatiguing. After switching around with the tips and further critical listening I think the high end extension is just fine. Soundstage, however, is fairly narrow. Not particularly airy. However, the control and clarity make up for it.
Midrange: Definitely where the PL50s shine. Warm, detailed, clear...you name it. The midrange has great depth in terms of the (resolution?), (not sure how to put this in words but by depth I don't mean frequencies, more like resolution, clarity, and/or dynamics).
Bass: My only complaint is I would prefer a bit more emphasis on the lower bass frequencies(<60hz). Fortunately, it sounds like the rolloff is pretty gentle. I can hear some of the lower frequencies its just a little quiet for my tastes. Applying an EQ at moderate volume produces distortion very quickly.
Without a doubt, I am enjoying these headphones. At a lower volume they can take a bit of EQ which makes them sound great(only needed for bass boost). At moderately-high volumes the headphones sound great sans the EQ, thanks to the Fletcher-Munson curves. I think for $50 these things are near steals.

Note: My headphones were manufactured in August and I could easily remove the tips. Fyi, purchased from DealPerfect.com

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #144 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by dalingrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my PL50's today!

So far after 4 hours or so of listening I can definitely say that I like them.

First impression after 10mins:
Treble: Detailed and clear but not an extremely high extension.
Midrange: Warm and detailed. Slight emphasis on the lower-half of the midrange
Bass: Detailed and without mud. Surprisingly punchy but definite rolloff below 60hz.
Impression after 4 hours
Treble: Sounds great. I really like the clarity. It never gets too fatiguing. After switching around with the tips and further critical listening I think the high end extension is just fine. Soundstage, however, is fairly narrow. Not particularly airy. However, the control and clarity make up for it.
Midrange: Definitely where the PL50s shine. Warm, detailed, clear...you name it. The midrange has great depth in terms of the (resolution?), (not sure how to put this in words but by depth I don't mean frequencies, more like resolution, clarity, and/or dynamics).
Bass: My only complaint is I would prefer a bit more emphasis on the lower bass frequencies(<60hz). Fortunately, it sounds like the rolloff is pretty gentle. I can hear some of the lower frequencies its just a little quiet for my tastes. Applying an EQ at moderate volume produces distortion very quickly.
Without a doubt, I am enjoying these headphones. At a lower volume they can take a bit of EQ which makes them sound great(only needed for bass boost). At moderately-high volumes the headphones sound great sans the EQ, thanks to the Fletcher-Munson curves. I think for $50 these things are near steals.

Note: My headphones were manufactured in August and I could easily remove the tips. Fyi, purchased from DealPerfect.com

Great review!
Last night I gave them a thorough solid listen of St. Dominic's Preview by Van Morrison. What an album and the phones did shine!

One thing I really enjoy is the comfort of these things. I am able to sit for a few hours without any discomfort.

Kudos to DealPerfect for reaching Canada so fast. I also noticed this morning an email about the foam replacement tips and while I don't need them, that is pretty awesome service!

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #145 of 214
My first impression of this are pretty good too but I warn you, don't judge it out of the box, it needs at least 1 hour of burn-in time. Big difference tbh.*Not reading any reviews here since I'm reviewing the entire SoundMAGIC range!
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #146 of 214
Wow this are pretty darn good its almost on par with the ety er4p. I think it lacks abit of the crisp sound of the er4p. Has good bass and for $50 i think this was a very good buy. might be returning my er4p since it cost around 3 times the amount compared to the pl50s. Plus no annoying microphonics every time the wire rubs against my shirts and its comfortable. Oh yea need good seal which took me awhile since i thought it sounded bad when i first tried it until found good seal. People find good seal before you say sounds bad. lullz

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #147 of 214
Since I have to order something at DealPerfect to get my new foam tips, I'm thinking about ordering either a the Fiio PS 1110 portable speaker or the Fiio E3/E5 amp.

Would I be wasting my money by adding a Fiio amp to my PL50, and does it hiss a lot? I do like to have a little more bass then they currently give, but I want to be able to notice the difference for that kind of money.

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #148 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I have to order something at DealPerfect to get my new foam tips, I'm thinking about ordering either a the Fiio PS 1110 portable speaker or the Fiio E3/E5 amp.

Would I be wasting my money by adding a Fiio amp to my PL50, and does it hiss a lot? I do like to have a little more bass then they currently give, but I want to be able to notice the difference for that kind of money.

Get E5 for that matter. Worth the few penny.
It has very little hiss when muted but not I usually would find annoying at all. You will feel a slight boost once you turn on the bass boost.
wink_face.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #149 of 214
I somehow torn between ne-7m or pl50

Somehow, I listen to a lot of rock/metal
Which would be suitable for me? Any suggestion?

and mids and bass are both important to me and Im in a dilemma as ne-7m strongest point is bass and yet pl50 strong point is mid. aww

TIA

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #150 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by legend24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I somehow torn between ne-7m or pl50

Somehow, I listen to a lot of rock/metal
Which would be suitable for me? Any suggestion?

and mids and bass are both important to me and Im in a dilemma as ne-7m strongest point is bass and yet pl50 strong point is mid. aww

TIA

If you don't need the mic there's also the NE-6
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back