Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Aug 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #91 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Splitting update:
My left earphone came completely apart (split open) today when I just pulled the earphone out of my ear.
frown.gif

I contacted FocalPrice for an RMA replacement. Hopefully FocalPrice/SoundMAGIC will take care of this issue because I really like the sound of these IEM's.

I'm sure they will. I have got reply that I can send them back for replacement but I'm still deciding if I really want to, because Focalprice does not pay the return shipping cost.
I rather find less sense making a RMA for so low value as 38 bucks and shipment cost would be easily additional 30 $ in my case.
For that money I could buy some nice glue and put my PL50 together again in that way and don't need necessary to wait long for it.

But since I don't know how they will exchange us some new foams I’ll wait a bit more till I know that before I do something.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #92 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...This sounds like a common problem...

Remember, only some from the 2nd batch have these problem and SoundMAGIC already makes an effort to correct the problem. AFAIK, no one from the first batch has these issues.

While it is SoundMAGIC's responsibility to fix the splitting problem, at this point, the easiest solution will be just glue it back yourself using a tiny bit of superglue. After all, it is not like the housing shatters into bits and pieces where there is nothing you can do about it.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #93 of 214
Sayajin, I'm not sure why it would cost you $30 to ship it back, I'm assuming you plan to ship the box and everything. Explain the situation to FP and *generally* (sometimes they let you sometimes they don't) let you ship it back without the packaging, etc. So I can't imagine shipping just the broken headphones would cost you nearly as much.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #94 of 214
I'm enjoying these very much right now with the silicone tips. I feel a little bad for destroying the foam tips, but I can't say it makes the experience worse. These sound, feel and look great. If they really improved the build and foam tips on these, there is probably no reason for anyone to NOT like these.
dt880smile.png

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #95 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sayajin, I'm not sure why it would cost you $30 to ship it back, I'm assuming you plan to ship the box and everything. Explain the situation to FP and *generally* (sometimes they let you sometimes they don't) let you ship it back without the packaging, etc. So I can't imagine shipping just the broken headphones would cost you nearly as much.

You properly right, my bad. I don’t ship things myself very often so I just miss out such things easy. It’s properly parcel pricing I remember. Well if you say so I have been check the website. I can properly let it go for 10 $
tongue.gif

I still like to wait to find out if SoundMAGIC is planning some foam replacements. [size=x-small]I go ask Focalprice again or have someone already received that info?[/size]

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #96 of 214
Here's what im thinking for the foams. I still have the cores from the ones I destroyed; Picking up a set of these and gluing them onto the original soundmagic cores after expanding them a bit with some needle-nose pliers might work and be less difficult than de-coring real olives. I have those foams in a smaller size (same width as olives) and they are about as good as the soundmagic foams in terms of quality.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #97 of 214
For me that is not an option as I had to use a knife to remove the cores from the nozzle. But it might be the cheapest solution, unless SoundMAGIC is willing to send us some improved foam tips for free.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #98 of 214
I just hope mine wern't fall apart even when I just pull them out of my ears.....

I think I'm just going to cut the foams out as well. Don't use foams often, so no harm done I guess. I would expect Soundmagic to send out new replacement foams for free to those who got the dodgy batch though...

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #99 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what im thinking for the foams. I still have the cores from the ones I destroyed; Picking up a set of these and gluing them onto the original soundmagic cores after expanding them a bit with some needle-nose pliers might work and be less difficult than de-coring real olives. I have those foams in a smaller size (same width as olives) and they are about as good as the soundmagic foams in terms of quality.

Joker, the eBay listing says the foams fit both an ex90 and ex700. My guess is that they are that generic size that fits almost all brands (the ex90 size). After looking around for foam tips, my guess is that the foam tips that fit most of Shure's SE phones will work with the pl50. Try here if you're interested. I may be doing so later this week myself.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #100 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joker, the eBay listing says the foams fit both an ex90 and ex700. My guess is that they are that generic size that fits almost all brands (the ex90 size). After looking around for foam tips, my guess is that the foam tips that fit most of Shure's SE phones will work with the pl50. Try here if you're interested. I may be doing so later this week myself.

Well the Olives definitely will not fit without some expansion, but these generic tips are easier to separate from their inner tube (and the tube itself is easier to expand). I'll try both sometime and see what happens
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #101 of 214
I thought I would post some more impressions after a few more hours of listening.

Overall build: The cable is pretty thick from the Y-splitter down, which I like. I also like the 45 degree 3.5mm jack, which will stay put even if you yank the cable pretty hard. The rest of the cable seems to be of high quality as well. The housing, although entirely made of very light plastic, seems pretty strong. My PL50 is from the second batch, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the housing won't split, but future buyers shouldn't have this problem. I can't comment on build quality too much yet. I will just have to see if they last.

Sound: Soundwise, I'm still learning to adapt to their sound signature. It's a bit light on bass and I find EQ'ing to be unavoidable. I especially dislike that everything below 60Hz (going from the Rockbox Custom EQ) doesn't really improve that much, even when you go all the way up to +24dB. Maybe my seal is the problem, or these just need some more burn-in, but this is the biggest downside for me. The rest of the spectrum is beautiful however. The biggest difference you will hear coming from stock earbuds or IEM's are the crisp highs. They don't sound harsh at all and really give some extra feeling to for instance rock music. Mids are great as well, vocals are quite forward and guitars sound really nice. I'm going to have to give these some more time to make my final conclusion.

Would I recommend them for now? Yes, as long as you're not a basshead and you aren't afraid of Chinese products. Just one word of warning: don't try to take the foam tips off with pressure if they won't budge at first. You will most definitely destroy them completely.

It's a bit short right now, but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. Oh, and tips concerning EQ'ing or something else would be appreciated.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #102 of 214
Wait... 45 degree jack?

Also, doesn't seem like you're getting a good enough seal. These can really put out some bass thump (ran a ~30hz sample through all my phones last night).

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #103 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait... 45 degree jack?

Also, doesn't seem like you're getting a good enough seal. These can really put out some bass thump (ran a ~30hz sample through all my phones last night).

Sorry, my bad. Was thinking about maths, but it is, of course, a 90 degree jack.
tongue_smile.gif

I don't really know what it is. I suspect it's the seal, but the M size tips are the only ones that fit me and I won't put another set of foams on them until I get some improved ones. Maybe I should look in some other tips.

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #104 of 214
Okay, I'm kind of in a dilemma. I still have the medium silicone tips on my PL50's and I still have the small and large foamies. But I doubt these would be easier to remove than the medium foamies that came on them in the package. I would like to try them to see if I can get a better seal, but I'm just too scared I will destroy these as well.

I heard someone mention that the other foamies were easier to remove versus the medium foamies. I'm just not sure if that's reason enough to go try it.

I have also contacted DealPerfect about some new foam tips, and they told me they would look into it, as it seems I was the first to complain about them. I thought there were more people that had already bought from DP?

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #105 of 214
The large foam tips are just as hard to remove as the medium ones. If I were you i'd at least stretch out the inner core a bit before trying them with a thin-nose plier or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back