Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #61 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting LOTS of low end without any burn-in. I am using my bi-flange Future Sonics FS1's tips.

Thanks for the info. I just bought some medium tips from the FS store. Since it will take a few days for them to arrive, I'll just watch and see how this "splitting" issue goes and then decide how I'll remove the foam tips.

I think I still have an X-Acto knife kit somewhere, just in case...

Oh yeah, Thanks, Clieos for all you're doing.
Anybody know where's Jack in all this?

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #62 of 214
My PL50's haven't shipped yet (go figure..., horrid luck over here
frown.gif
)

So all of this is far from encouraging, these people with their o yea... PL50's aren't so great... they break, soundstage isn't great, etc. Should I reconsider? Is there something better I can spend my $50 on? I mean I was looking at the RE2 and ADDIEM a while back...

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #63 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a nutshell the problem with great bang/buck IEMs is that you start comparing them to more expensive ones and end up slightly disappointed when they can't keep up in all aspects.

This is so true that I think I need to post this on the front page. I think people expect miracles from these and just compare them to their established favorites when they get them.

The PL50's soundstage might not be as expansive as some of the more expensive stuff out there, but its pretty darn good for the price. They certainly aren't lacking on either end out of the box, nor are the mids forward in comparison to, for example, the PL30s. They are great sounding phones - relatively neutral, maybe a little boring. They are great bang-for-the-buck but they are by no means a panacea for all earphone woes.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #65 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i still say they are astonishingly good for circa £30

That's only if we can change tips without tearing the earphone to pieces.

OMG! I just tried to take one of my foam tips off and even though I can spin the tip, I'd need pliers to remove it. I guess I'm waiting on the FS tips I ordered today and looking for the before-mentioned X-Acto knife kit.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #66 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PL50's soundstage might not be as expansive as some of the more expensive stuff out there, but its pretty darn good for the price. They certainly aren't lacking on either end out of the box, nor are the mids forward in comparison to, for example, the PL30s. They are great sounding phones - relatively neutral, maybe a little boring. They are great bang-for-the-buck but they are by no means a panacea for all earphone woes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i still say they are astonishingly good for circa £30

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PL50's haven't shipped yet (go figure..., horrid luck over here
frown.gif
)

So all of this is far from encouraging, these people with their o yea... PL50's aren't so great... they break, soundstage isn't great, etc. Should I reconsider? Is there something better I can spend my $50 on? I mean I was looking at the RE2 and ADDIEM a while back...

Please cheer up! Granted, the build problems are frustrating but I'm confident they will be sorted out. People reporting weak bass have most likely no good seal (which can be tricky) or no experience with armature phones. Like the Klipsch X10, these have amazing bass for armature IEMs.

I can assure you that you've still ordered one of the best (if not the best) $50 IEMs available. I assume you've read my impressions and yes, soundstage is somewhat smaller than the PL30's, but nevertheless the PL50 are clearly overall better phones.

Here's what I wrote in my conlusion:
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to rate them against the Klipsch X10, which are most similar sounding phones IMO, I would be unable to pick a clear winner.

Well, tstarn06 just reported that he sold his used X10 for $180 on ebay within an hour..

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #67 of 214
Hi, all friends. First of all, thank you for your supports to our products. And sorry to hear that the tips for our PL50 is easy broken & some PL50 split.

This is to let you know that, we have made some modify on the earphone and no problem for the tips issue in the future. For those broken tips, please contact the dealer (where you bought PL50) to get the new tips.

As for the split PL50, that is a defective unit. Please contact the dealer also, our dealer will help to check & exchange a new one for such a defective unit.
And then we will settle the handling with them afterward.

Sorry once again for all the inconvenience caused & Hope everyone can enjoy our PL50.

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #68 of 214
That's great Michael, I thought I was the only one who had split his headphones in two till i check the forums. Also, any progress on RMA my PL30's yet? I have had no response from you in quite some time

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #69 of 214
Well, my PL50's are on their way to me now.

Quote:

The item (RB048889095HK) left Hong Kong for its destination on 13-Aug-2009

First thing I will do when I get them is try to get the foam tips off without putting pressure on them. If they do come off easily, that should mean mine are from the later batch.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #71 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing I will do when I get them is try to get the foam tips off without putting pressure on them. If they do come off easily, that should mean mine are from the later batch.

Sorry, but I wouldn't count on it. Yours are most likely from the original dealperfect batch, same as many other peoples' here. Even if soundmagic did mean to change the manufacturing process, having only heard of this issue in the past few days, they would have to go through the process of finding a way to fix the issue (probably easier for the glue than the tight tips) and modifying their existing manufacturing line. They wouldn't be able go back and fix all of the PL50s already dispatched to the distributors.

I was told there's a chance that the new, hopefully fixed tips, will be sold separately. No promises, but here's hoping
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #73 of 214
I couldn't wait for the FS bi-flange tips... Since I have a bunch of Sony hybrid tips, I found my old X-Acto knife and cut off the foam tips. The sleeve inside the foam tip was pretty tough, but it opened quickly after I put a groove in it with the knife.

The hybrid tips fit nicely and I'm now a fan of the PL50s almost as much as I am the PL30s. With a decent seal, Alicia Keys "As I Am" has an awesome, clean bass beat and her vocals are sweet crystal. I'm impressed with the clarity and comfort of these phones.

These could become my nighttime phones for mellow, "slowdown" instrumental music pretty easily. Andreas Vollenweider's "Down To the Moon" may be my bedtime snack tonight.

Okay, mark, I now agree that these are great iems for the money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back