Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #46 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by grasman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday my PL50's arrived.
Today, both sides are split.

One side didn't split while I was changing tips, it happened during normal use.
My guess is that they made one batch of these with bad glue, it probably shouldn't be a problem to avoid this in the future.

Quick question: which Comply foams would work best with these PL50's?

That's it. If mine split aswell I'm going to contact SoundMAGIC and let them give me a full refund. This is outrageous. If it happens once or twice, okay. But this is just really wrong.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #48 of 214
I think it's a little premature to judge that they are all like this. Mine came from a different batch (dispatched to a HK local merchant before the first dealperfect shipment) and I've destroyed two sets of the foam tips without split housings.

What we need is a method for safely remove the stock foam tips (silicone ones aren't anywhere near as hard to remove) never to use them again. It is unfortunate, though, as they are quite nice.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #49 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's a little premature to judge that they are all like this. Mine came from a different batch (dispatched to a HK local merchant before the first dealperfect shipment) and I've destroyed two sets of the foam tips without split housings.

Yeah, I also think it's just a bad batch where they used bad glue.
Anyway, I mailed them to explain my problem and ask for a new pair since mine are now just held together with tape. A refund I didn't ask, apart from the build quality, I really like these phones
normal_smile .gif

Already got a reply: Quote:

As for the form tips is hard to be took out issue, we have modified and no more this problem.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #50 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you will have to degrade some points concerning build quality in your review, ClieOS.

I only review what I have at hand, which so far (my PL-50) is holding up very good despite several times of eartips exchange. You won't see any deduction from my end. Public opinion will reach its conclusion in the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...My guess is that they made one batch of these with bad glue, it probably shouldn't be a problem to avoid this in the future.

Quick question: which Comply foams would work best with these PL50's?

I have the same feeling. Perhaps rushing the 2nd batch to the market in the end isn't a good thing at all.

I find Comply P (for Westone) works well for PL-50. The core is different from T100 and much easier for removal.

Quote:

I am emailing SoundMAGIC about these issues (gluing and foam tips), so hopefully they will fix them.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #51 of 214
Ok, just got mine, quick impressions. (with iphone 3G)

These are indeed really small, good looking, and comfort is amazing.
As for the sound... As others said already, the sound is pretty balanced with very forward mids, therefore these are great for pop/classic/acoustic music.

Now I let my taste come in so Im not gonna be objective.

As a result of the mids being so forward, sound stage feels really narrow.
Also, these wont go very low nor very high (bass and treble), bass isnt strong, its pretty neutral... but trying to amplify it with EQ caused some distortion.
As for mids, very forward but doesn't sound alive enough in heavy guitar solos and in some other parts too.
overall, i find the sound pretty boring, not lively enough for me...
These do sound amazing with artists like Kate Nash, Michelle Branch and many other pop artists, but thats just a small part of my playlist so its just not enough for me.

My bottom line: Great IEM's, good SQ, but not my taste...
I wouldn't recommend these for heavy metal/dance music.
Im not disappointed, I knew what sound signature Im gonna get and Im sure I will enjoy these but thats not enough to be my primary IEM's
My main IEM's will stay my modded sony ex51 for now, maybe I'll try Nuforce in the future.

Aug 12, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #52 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop torturing me!
devil_face.gif

I really, really hope this won't happen to mine. But this is a big downside for me, I was hoping the PL50 could stand up to more than this. I think you will have to degrade some points concerning build quality in your review, ClieOS.

Now that I've taken a closer look at the pictures, it seems that the housing didn't break, but the two halves just popped out of each other. Does that mean that they use glue to keep the housing together, and is that glue just not strong enough? Or is it something else? It looks repairable though.

Yes, it should be easy to repair though but then you lose your warranty.
I am sorry this may be torturing to you. I really didn’t expecting this would happen to me.

More pics (torture) added to post 39.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #53 of 214
Already got a reply from SoundMAGIC. They already notice the problems and are working with their dealers to arrange a way to fix the issues.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #54 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Already got a reply from SoundMAGIC. They already notice the problems and are working with their dealers to arrange a way to fix the issues.

Thanks ClieOs!
I have a couple of questions though, if I have an ear piece that split, can I have it replaced by SoundMAGIC?
What is the best way to contact them? I have tried the web site, but could not find any contact info other then the webmaster email address.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #55 of 214
Quote:

What we need is a method for safely remove the stock foam tips (silicone ones aren't anywhere near as hard to remove) never to use them again. It is unfortunate, though, as they are quite nice.

I agree, I was just not really happy hearing these problems. My PL50's are still at HKPost, and I expect they will ship tomorrow, so I will get them very soon. Maybe in three days. I should wait and see for myself, maybe mine will be from a better batch as well. But I would hate to destroy the foam tips or the housing so soon.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #56 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ClieOs!
I have a couple of questions though, if I have an ear piece that split, can I have it replaced by SoundMAGIC?
What is the best way to contact them? I have tried the web site, but could not find any contact info other then the webmaster email address.

For what I know, they will some kind of official announcement in next few days. You might want to check back later. For now, you should try to contact the seller first.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #57 of 214
I had the same problem and couldnt believe it :O

I tried to get the stock tips off and couldn't, I applied some more pressure to the tip and it ripped off the tube, which also resulted in the IEM splitting open! Luckily, there was no major force behind me pulling the tip and the plastic housing didnt break and the wires didnt disconnect.

After MUCH struggling.... MUCH, I finally got the stock tubes off and replaced them with what I think are the more Sennheiser looking tips. I still cant get a perfect seal ALL the time. With enough fiddling, I do eventually get a good seal, but it is a bit of a pain to be honest... Also the seal isnt very strong, a bit of pressure on the cable and they come out... Never had any problems like this with my Sennheiser CX500s
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #58 of 214
I got mine from dealperfect yesterday and while I only listened to them for about a minute, they were almost clinically precise and crystalline, with no lows at all. I'm hoping that will be modified by being broken-in over the next couple of days.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #59 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine from dealperfect yesterday and while I only listened to them for about a minute, they were almost clinically precise and crystalline, with no lows at all. I'm hoping that will be modified by being broken-in over the next couple of days.

I am getting LOTS of low end without any burn-in. I am using my bi-flange Future Sonics FS1's tips. I could not get a good sound using any other tips. My Ety foams were sealing well, but the sound was a bit too dark. I tried a few standard (Sennheiser style) tips, but they did not seal, nor did they want to stay in my ear.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #60 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks so much ClieOS for work this all out for us. I keep checking here and see how they will work this out.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back